16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3182 posts
2848 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
tallbert wrote: title

hit me rfd
They didn't have the intrawebs back in the 1970's. ;-)

These days, all VCRs (when you can get them) are decent quality. Unless you're going to be using them for a video transfer business when you'd want to go commercial quality, the only requirement I would look for would be hi-fi, 4-8 heads if possible. You'd have a better chance of getting a VCR/DVD combo but they're usually set up to prevent direct copy of commercial tapes.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22323 posts
2969 upvotes
JVC DR10000

It still held its value okay to this day
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16995 posts
12395 upvotes
Toronto
What year is this, 1990?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3182 posts
2848 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
blainehamilton wrote: You won't find these in store anymore.
Sorry, this is not an accurate statement. They're available at many retailers. I've seen them advertised at London Drugs occasionally and searching on Best Buy right now gets a positive result.

Granted, you're probably only going to find one model at a particular retailer, but they're still available to be found.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10769 posts
2848 upvotes
Nowhere
The new ones don't have tuners which is fine if you are just looking to watch old tapes. I still have two working VCRs at home. Then can come in handy as I am always being asked about VCRs by people who have old tapes but no way to play them.
Jan 12, 2015
104 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What decade did I click into?
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
372 posts
194 upvotes
OTTAWA
Swerny wrote: What year is this, 1990?
No but I did get a 1977 copy of Star Wars in really good condition which is how we got to this point

other movies I prefer on VHS are Halloween, ET, and Evil Dead
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
tallbert wrote: No but I did get a 1977 copy of Star Wars in really good condition which is how we got to this point

Don't forget Debbie Does Dallas. Always a classic.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14352 posts
3590 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Unless you really prefer VHS, the theatrical version of ET, with guns instead of walkie talkies, is available on DVD and (supposedly) BD.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10982 posts
2792 upvotes
Victoria
tallbert wrote: No but I did get a 1977 copy of Star Wars in really good condition which is how we got to this point

You don't need a VCR, you need the fan made despecialized versions of the star wars trilogy. They're in 720p and look great :)
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
I love how the smart allecs come here askiing what decade this is... I still use a VCR I bought at Walmart 3 years ago to record my TV shows off my satellite Dish. I dont have Rogers so I dont have a DVR and Im not buying a computer with an internal TV tuner just to record a program in real-time.

Do any of you smart allecs have a suggestion what I can use to record a hockey game for example of my TV for under $60 and be able to replay it on my TV whenever I want? Yeah I thought so.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14352 posts
3590 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You can buy used DVD recorders for <$60, although recording to DVD Rs used to be pretty flakey. A DVR (which isn't the same as a PVR) is the better option. Costs more than $60, but the quality is considerably better than VHS. Not so easy to find either, though.

BTW, many people have computers, so while you may not want to buy a TV tuner to record shows, it is still a viable option for <$60. If you want to argue about costs, don't forget to include the price of dish/receiver + subscription into the comparison.
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
372 posts
194 upvotes
OTTAWA
rabbit wrote: Unless you really prefer VHS, the theatrical version of ET, with guns instead of walkie talkies, is available on DVD and (supposedly) BD.
that's awesome i never heard of that edit before
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10769 posts
2848 upvotes
Nowhere
Gammatron wrote: I love how the smart allecs come here askiing what decade this is... I still use a VCR I bought at Walmart 3 years ago to record my TV shows off my satellite Dish. I dont have Rogers so I dont have a DVR and Im not buying a computer with an internal TV tuner just to record a program in real-time.

Do any of you smart allecs have a suggestion what I can use to record a hockey game for example of my TV for under $60 and be able to replay it on my TV whenever I want? Yeah I thought so.
With an antenna (a paper clip or piece of coax could work in Toronto for CBC) and this, and you can record for under $60. You need to add some storage to it but you probably have that lying around. There are other options. What's an allec?