• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2019 7:32 pm
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
634 posts
671 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL

best way to Aeroplan to Europe ?

Hoping some fellow RFDers take this route often and can help shed light on what are the best ways to go about this.

I'm probably going to have to travel to either Denmark (Copenhagen) or Switzerland come late March/Early April from YYZ.

I lucked out with my car purchase so have over 200k aeroplan points and Black Status this year -- not really certain what's going to happen next year with the AC points transition, so hoping to get good value out of them now.

Is it best to book on the Aeroplan website, phone, travel agent...or some other method? (i've never used my points!)

Any specific airlines, or methods to get around, that minimizes extra fees? (always hear about how AC ups their fees when you use points).

I have only flown AC or Westjet to europe, so not sure if there's more comfortable rides. (I would probably check a suitcase, since I would try and stay at least 1 month in europe and backpack around since i'll have made the journey over already). i heard SWISS Air is pretty decent?

(note: I've read on here that Business Class to Europe gets great points value, but i'm really not that picky and would rather save points for other stuff rather than to roll like a baller!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33665 posts
7650 upvotes
Ottawa
I have used Aeroplan points to Europe many times.
I always check the website for my flights. If that does not work, I call. It costs $35 (if you book with the representative) but they have more flights that they can access.
Also, bets bang for the buck is business class.The taxes and fees are the same economy or business class.
They an also hep you with star alliance lights.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1740 posts
1299 upvotes
Taxes/fees are quite substantial and I've found it not worth it for redeeming economy to Europe given the cheap fares when purchasing

But Swiss Air will have lower fees than flying on AC metal. quality wise, it's interchangeable with AC for the hard/soft product

Calling in maybe worth it as the agents will help find flights with lower fees if you're not able to do it online. It's free to call and check if you don't find what you like online
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
gotglint wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 12:08 pm
....Any help would be greatly appreciated!...
>> Any specific airlines, or methods to get around, that minimizes extra fees?
(always hear about how AC ups their fees when you use points).

Yes, Airplan charge big "taxes,surcharges and fees", for example direct Montreal-Zurich in AirCanada/Swiss
cost, for example 1050+150$ tax cash versus 60K points AND $550$ "tax and fees" in airoplan.
One way to minimize "tax and Fees" -- use low-fees airlines and low-fees routing.
Talking specifically ablout over-Atlantic flights, AiCanada and Swiss charge the most, Lufthansa and Brussels -- average.
Lowest taxes can be achieved by flying United via USA, for example Montreal-NewArc-Geneva.

Everyone has own priorities, someone does not mind extra 4 hours and transfer
with saving 400$ (550 AC versus 150 with UA). Someone prefer spend extra on direct flight.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1021 posts
675 upvotes
GTA West
tequilla wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 9:28 am

Yes, Airplan charge big "taxes,surcharges and fees", for example direct Montreal-Zurich in AirCanada/Swiss
cost, for example 1050+150$ tax cash versus 60K points AND $550$ "tax and fees" in airoplan.
We used 60k like this last tear, getting little more than $600 in value for a YYZ-AMS flight. But sometimes a bird in the hand is worth more than a bird in the bush. It was still a nice saving on our vacation and we got those points churning credit cards at little or no cost. Too bad all those good "first year no fee" promos for Aeroplan cards are no more! I am hoping that as Air Canada relaunches Aeroplan after buying it out, we will start seeing those deals again from their bank partners.

In the meantime I have taken my love to Westjet/Mastercard and their companion vouchers and WJ dollars. But their companion vouchers are worthless on their only trans-Atlantic flight YYZ-Gatwick, and are best used for Canada-Hawaii-Sun destinations. I am hoping the situation will improve as they take delivery of more 787's.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
634 posts
671 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
tequilla wrote:
>> Any specific airlines, or methods to get around, that minimizes extra fees?
(always hear about how AC ups their fees when you use points).

One way to minimize "tax and Fees" -- use low-fees airlines and low-fees routing.
Talking specifically ablout over-Atlantic flights, AiCanada and Swiss charge the most, Lufthansa and Brussels -- average.
Lowest taxes can be achieved by flying United via USA, for example Montreal-NewArc-Geneva.

Everyone has own priorities, someone does not mind extra 4 hours and transfer
with saving 400$ (550 AC versus 150 with UA). Someone prefer spend extra on direct flight.

Cheers!
thanks. so 60k points for only $650 in difference -- valuing each point around 1.08%
that's horrible.
so SWISSair has high fees too? crap, there goes my plan of using them

i don't understand how it can be legal for them to charge significantly higher "taxes and fees" when using points.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
634 posts
671 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 12:29 pm
I have used Aeroplan points to Europe many times.
I always check the website for my flights. If that does not work, I call. It costs $35 (if you book with the representative) but they have more flights that they can access.
Also, bets bang for the buck is business class.The taxes and fees are the same economy or business class.
They an also hep you with star alliance lights.
i was hoping to fly Star Alliance, as europe isn't that long a flight to justify biz class (for me). if i was going to australia or hong kong i would def do biz class.

are star alliance flights only available via phone?
do they charge you for the call right away, or only if you end up booking something?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33665 posts
7650 upvotes
Ottawa
gotglint wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 10:44 am
i was hoping to fly Star Alliance, as europe isn't that long a flight to justify biz class (for me). if i was going to australia or hong kong i would def do biz class.

are star alliance flights only available via phone?
do they charge you for the call right away, or only if you end up booking something?
They only charge if you book.
https://www.travelmiles101.com/tips-tri ... -aeroplan/
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3684 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
tequilla wrote:

Not quite accurate.
Air Canada and Lufthansa charges the most.
LOT is average
Swiss, Brussels, United has no airline surcharges, so you would only pay airport taxes
TAP Air Portugal also had no airline surcharges when I looked last year, not sure if that's still the case though.
Turkish is the cheapest: no airline surcharges, and airport fee in Istanbul is negligible.
Last edited by twotterdhc6 on Jan 29th, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
634 posts
671 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 12:29 pm
Not quite accurate.
Air Canada and Lufthansa charges the most.
LOT is average
Swiss, Brussels, United has no airline surchages, so you would only pay airport taxes
TAP Air Portugal also had no airline surchages when I looked last year, not sure if that's still the case though.
Turkish is the cheapest: no airline surchages, and airport fee in Istanbul is negligible.
thank you! i'll def check Swiss when im going then.
what is LOT?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3684 posts
201 upvotes
Mississauga
gotglint wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 12:47 pm
thank you! i'll def check Swiss when im going then.
what is LOT?
LOT Polish Airlines. They have direct non-stop flights from Toronto to Warsaw.
They do have airline surcharges for award redemption, but are usually about half of what AC or LH normally charges.
Jan 1, 2017
678 posts
507 upvotes
gotglint wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 12:08 pm
Hoping some fellow RFDers take this route often and can help shed light on what are the best ways to go about this.

I'm probably going to have to travel to either Denmark (Copenhagen) or Switzerland come late March/Early April from YYZ.

I lucked out with my car purchase so have over 200k aeroplan points and Black Status this year -- not really certain what's going to happen next year with the AC points transition, so hoping to get good value out of them now.

Is it best to book on the Aeroplan website, phone, travel agent...or some other method? (i've never used my points!)

Any specific airlines, or methods to get around, that minimizes extra fees? (always hear about how AC ups their fees when you use points).

I have only flown AC or Westjet to europe, so not sure if there's more comfortable rides. (I would probably check a suitcase, since I would try and stay at least 1 month in europe and backpack around since i'll have made the journey over already). i heard SWISS Air is pretty decent?

(note: I've read on here that Business Class to Europe gets great points value, but i'm really not that picky and would rather save points for other stuff rather than to roll like a baller!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How did you score 200k miles from you car purchase? What car did you get?
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
634 posts
671 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
ProductGuy wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 7:55 pm
How did you score 200k miles from you car purchase? What car did you get?
not 200k, i think it was 50k or something. but i got totally lucky cos i ordered my car before i knew about the offer and the timing just worked out so i actually got the points.