Computers & Electronics

Best way to back up photos?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 9:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1541 posts
1666 upvotes

Best way to back up photos?

So I'm a n00b, looking to back up my photos. I have an iPhone, back it up to a PC, and than transfer it to a USB. Is there an easy way to backup my stuff onto two hard drives at once? I always want to have 2 copies of everything. 3 would be better, mainly photos and documents. I have a mac as awell, and it's a pain in the ass to back up iphoto.

How's a hard drive like this?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/se ... k/10661147
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2009
2623 posts
1355 upvotes
Winnipeg
Install Google Photos on the iphone and choose the free(some compression) option. Now all the photos will be uploaded to their cloud.

After doing that I never bothered transferring to desktop anymore. Might be bad move :)
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1374 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Install Google Photos on the iphone and choose the free(some compression) option. Now all the photos will be uploaded to their cloud.

After doing that I never bothered transferring to desktop anymore. Might be bad move :)
Same here - if you have Amazon Prime too you get free full size backups on Prime Photos. I use the both just to be safe.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8276 posts
2902 upvotes
Maple
I don’t trust those places (cloud, prime), I rather backup manually to different devices 3-2-1.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1709 posts
421 upvotes
teoconca wrote: I don’t trust those places (cloud, prime), I rather backup manually to different devices 3-2-1.
+1

What i hate is people who back up every photo they ever took. Out of focus, no subject matter, random price tag........ I personally go through my pictures and delete what is not relevant. Easier to look at the pictures later on and takes up less space.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2954 upvotes
one of the best ways is to give it to family on a usb drive. That way if your home burns down along with your phone and backup hdd, the photos are with your family.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1374 posts
801 upvotes
ottawa
teoconca wrote: I don’t trust those places (cloud, prime), I rather backup manually to different devices 3-2-1.
Don't trust them to make sure your photos aren't deleted? Or don't trust them to use your photos appropriately?

I've found it easier to just store the micro SD cards after I've filled them up on trips etc. Then have the online backups as a true backup.

OP you could also spin up a raspberry Pi with openmediavault and self host your own Google photos like application.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8276 posts
2902 upvotes
Maple
barqers wrote: Deon't trust them to make sure your photos aren't deleted? Or don't trust them to use your photos appropriately?

I've found it easier to just store the micro SD cards after I've filled them up on trips etc. Then have the online backups as a true backup.

OP you could also spin up a raspberry Pi with openmediavault and self host your own Google photos like application.
Both, they may lose backup and may get hacked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1541 posts
1666 upvotes
I have amazon photos as well. But I’m thinking in future if I want to cancel it how do I back it all up? I don’t see an easy way to download every single photo. Also when I download from amazon photo the file name is all jacked up. And I have to click on every. Single. Photo.

Top