Shopping Discussion

Best way to buy sunglasses

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2020 6:54 am
[OP]
Nov 21, 2019
35 posts

Best way to buy sunglasses

Fellow rfd'ers, what is the best way to buy good sunglasses? I've never bought pricey ones before and figure there is a way to make it worthwhile. Looking at non prescription ray bans or something of the sort
Last edited by SlobMarley on Aug 27th, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15121 posts
12203 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Prescription ... or Non Prescription ?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11357 posts
1390 upvotes
You just gotta keep trying on pairs and often times even wear them for a while. I'm very picky, some lenses I don't like, some frames block my vision, some aren't comfy. Oakley has free shipping and free returns so you can order a bunch and try. They also have different types of lenses that have different filters, so lots of options.

Maui Jim are supposed to have very good quality and service and the best glass lenses. They also have free returns.

I've had a few raybans and they are nothing special.

Don't worry about deal yet, find out what you like for sure then work on getting a good price
Jan 30, 2008
316 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Consider polarized lenses to reduce glare from sunlight. RayBans usually show "RayBan P" for their polarized styles which might be easier to notice if you shopping in person.
Jun 4, 2018
298 posts
193 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
Is there a worst way to buy sunglasses?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5465 posts
2660 upvotes
Global Village
Find the ones you like in a store and be patient until you find a better price for them online. Clearly.ca is 1 to keep an eye on.
All day I dream about sports
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4495 posts
4018 upvotes
Just like anything else, your needs and your budget will never exactly match somebody else's. So treat this like any other purchase -- first decide on your budget, then shop around for the best sunglasses that meet your needs for that price.

I know it seems to be the default reply to any thread on RFD, but definitely look for Costco sales on sunglasses. Never pay their regular prices. Their Serengetis are definitely in the rotation for sale pricing, just might have to wait a few months for it to go on sale again. And unlike online ordering, at Costco you can try them on instore and make sure the fit and tint are to your liking.

Worst place to buy would probably be Sunglass Hut at the mall. That's for tourists who lost theirs or forgot them at home... so you're just overpaying.
Second worse would be buying some brand/knockoff from China you never heard of, from eBay/Aliexpress/Wish/etc. Now you're buying crap.

Before buying a brand you never heard of, look them up online first. Personal example of this: I never heard of Maui Jim until a few years ago ... looked them up to find out they're some of the best out there (but you pay $$$ for them). Those are my "bucket list" or "big splurge" goal sunglasses. If you have money to blow, try them....
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Aug 18, 2011
899 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
I like oakley website for tons of customization