Computers & Electronics

Best way to clone 512GB SSD to m.2 480GB NVME?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2019 6:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5709 posts
3150 upvotes

Best way to clone 512GB SSD to m.2 480GB NVME?

I already installed the m.2 in my PC, but because a slight smaller size (even though I have 170GB free from SSD), Macrium Reflect won't clone it and I couldn't shrink the SSD size either due to the fragmented files. Can I create a rescue USB, boot into that and back up my SSD to another 1TB HD that I have on the PC. Unplug the SSD, then boot with the media again and restore the backup from HD onto the m.2. Then remove the boot media and reboot the PC. Will that work?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7358 posts
811 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You need software that can do this properly - years ago, I would have done this with Acronis TrueImage; I have no idea if there's anything better these days. Boot from the proper software's bootable media, clone from the SSD to the m.2 drive, when it's done, turn the machine off, unplug the SSD (very important if you don't want Windows to get completely messed up when it comes to drive letters, etc - never boot up the new drive the first time with the old drive still connected), and then you're done.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12404 posts
3558 upvotes
what is the source drive ? windows ?

if windows then you can just shkrink it, if the windows manager don't allow you then you can do it via command line
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5709 posts
3150 upvotes
sexyj wrote: what is the source drive ? windows ?

if windows then you can just shkrink it, if the windows manager don't allow you then you can do it via command line
Yes it windows. I will look for the command line. Thanks
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13280 posts
2498 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Are you trying to clone the drive while it's running Windows? Try again using a live USB boot drive (aka "Rescue"), before messing around with changing partition sizes.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16194 posts
4695 upvotes
Markham
mkl38s wrote: I already installed the m.2 in my PC, but because a slight smaller size (even though I have 170GB free from SSD), Macrium Reflect won't clone it and I couldn't shrink the SSD size either due to the fragmented files. Can I create a rescue USB, boot into that and back up my SSD to another 1TB HD that I have on the PC. Unplug the SSD, then boot with the media again and restore the backup from HD onto the m.2. Then remove the boot media and reboot the PC. Will that work?
With Macrium Reflect
you clone to a file
then clone from file to 480GB NVME
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro