Best way currently to get cash back on payments like tuition

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 10:30 am
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1590 posts
500 upvotes
GTA
Do most universities charge a fee for making the tuition payment via credit card?
Aug 9, 2017
244 posts
885 upvotes
GTA
BeCr8ive wrote: Do most universities charge a fee for making the tuition payment via credit card?
Yes, Uoft for example charges 1.75%, however with Canadian Tire's bill payments system, it doesn't charge a fee.
Oct 16, 2019
263 posts
149 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
BeCr8ive wrote: Do most universities charge a fee for making the tuition payment via credit card?
Yep , pretty much every college or uni.
Red River College charges 1.75% too lol.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1972 posts
593 upvotes
Montreal
lmcjipo wrote: Not sure how tuition works with the other universities in the rest of Canada but in Quebec (at least with the 2 English universities that I've taken courses at which would be McGill University and Concordia University and the one French university that I've taken courses at which was Universite de Montreal), I was able to pay my tuition fee using any Visa/Mastercard (and sometimes AMEX) so I would just use the one which gives the highest cashback benefit (which is either 1% or 1.5% depending on what I wanted whether it was points (loyalty dollars) or actual cashback rebate without going thru some sort of elaborate system.
i'm studying at Concordia University. Yes, I can pay using Visa or Mastercard credit card BUT they charge you 1.5% fees so it's useless. I have credit cards who give 2% for grocery, pharmacy, travel, etc but for tuition is just 1% so the best way to save is just to use your chequing account.
Oct 16, 2019
263 posts
149 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
iamthebest wrote: i'm studying at Concordia University. Yes, I can pay using Visa or Mastercard credit card BUT they charge you 1.5% fees so it's useless. I have credit cards who give 2% for grocery, pharmacy, travel, etc but for tuition is just 1% so the best way to save is just to use your chequing account.
Unless, if your college takes Amex, apply for SimplyCash Preferred Card from American Express Earn 10% cash back in your first 4 months (up to $400 cash back).
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2379 posts
1775 upvotes
Montreal, QC
iamthebest wrote: i'm studying at Concordia University. Yes, I can pay using Visa or Mastercard credit card BUT they charge you 1.5% fees so it's useless. I have credit cards who give 2% for grocery, pharmacy, travel, etc but for tuition is just 1% so the best way to save is just to use your chequing account.
I took my courses at Concordia University and McGill University ages ago and also took courses within the Continuing Education department so the rules regarding credit card payments might be different now and also different from studies which lead to a Bachelor, Master, or PhD. I do know that McGill University's regular education stream (i.e. those leading to a Bachelor, Master, or PhD) doesn't accept a credit card as payment (they might accept the "Triangle Mastercard bill payment method" but I can't confirm this as I've never tried it. I do know that McGill University does show up in the Triangle bill payment system as a company and so does Concordia University.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1972 posts
593 upvotes
Montreal
captainarabiia wrote: Unless, if your college takes Amex, apply for SimplyCash Preferred Card from American Express Earn 10% cash back in your first 4 months (up to $400 cash back).
No, they just take Visa and Mastercard.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1590 posts
500 upvotes
GTA
ashven288 wrote: Yes, Uoft for example charges 1.75%, however with Canadian Tire's bill payments system, it doesn't charge a fee.
Is this the same for all universities when using the Canadian tire card? I’m assuming it’s the manner in which Canadian tire makes the payment that ensures we aren’t charged the fee?
Aug 9, 2017
244 posts
885 upvotes
GTA
BeCr8ive wrote: Is this the same for all universities when using the Canadian tire card? I’m assuming it’s the manner in which Canadian tire makes the payment that ensures we aren’t charged the fee?
Yes, Canadian tires bill payment is structured differently, that's why there isn't a fee when using it to pay a bill. Here's a Google doc on this thread that lists all the confirmed post secondary schools (and bills) that are confirmed to work.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1590 posts
500 upvotes
GTA
ashven288 wrote: Yes, Canadian tires bill payment is structured differently, that's why there isn't a fee when using it to pay a bill. Here's a Google doc on this thread that lists all the confirmed post secondary schools (and bills) that are confirmed to work.
Damn, that makes this card a sickly good deal. I'm assuming "BROCK U.-T & R 90017039" is Brock University? They also have Town of Oakville, Oakville hydro etc... these are all things I normally pay using pre-authorized debit. So there's no catch to this? :)
Aug 9, 2017
244 posts
885 upvotes
GTA
BeCr8ive wrote: Damn, that makes this card a sickly good deal. I'm assuming "BROCK U.-T & R 90017039" is Brock University? They also have Town of Oakville, Oakville hydro etc... these are all things I normally pay using pre-authorized debit. So there's no catch to this? :)
Not sure for Brock U but if you do get the card, you can make a $1 payment to see if it goes through. There also nslsc (student loans) so you can even use the card to pay osap back (and get cashback). The only catch is that if you don't pay your balance in full each month, you get charged credit card interest.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1590 posts
500 upvotes
GTA
ashven288 wrote: Not sure for Brock U but if you do get the card, you can make a $1 payment to see if it goes through. There also nslsc (student loans) so you can even use the card to pay osap back (and get cashback). The only catch is that if you don't pay your balance in full each month, you get charged credit card interest.
Problem is it looks like they've shut down new applications for the WE card. Wonder if they are about to make all sorts of changes to these cards.