Travel

Best way to get from DisneyWorld to Universal Studios?

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2016 7:08 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1091 posts
227 upvotes

Best way to get from DisneyWorld to Universal Studios?

What is the best way to get from DisneyWorld to Universal Studios for a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids)?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8565 posts
3029 upvotes
Toronto
retroman80s wrote: What is the best way to get from DisneyWorld to Universal Studios for a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids)?
Taxi van.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1932 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Are you staying in a Disneyworld resort & was thinking of spending your whole vacation in Disneyworld? Is that the reason you didn't rent a car? From park entrance to park entrance, it's a 20 minute drive by car. If you're not staying in a Disneyworld resort, the hotel might have a shuttle service to Universal Studios. Are you going to both Harry Potter attractions?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1091 posts
227 upvotes
Any ideas how much for one way?

Someone mentioned to try Uber, not sure if you can request a van driver. Never tired Uber, how much would it cost?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1091 posts
227 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Are you staying in a Disneyworld resort & was thinking of spending your whole vacation in Disneyworld? Is that the reason you didn't rent a car? From park entrance to park entrance, it's a 20 minute drive by car. If you're not staying in a Disneyworld resort, the hotel might have a shuttle service to Universal Studios. Are you going to both Harry Potter attractions?
Currently doing some research and costing. Thinking of staying at one of the DisneyWorld value resort, more expensive but more convenient with younger kids. Yes, interested at checking out the Harry Potter attraction at universal. Too bad Disney doesn't offer any shuttles there.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1932 posts
263 upvotes
Vancouver
retroman80s wrote: Currently doing some research and costing. Thinking of staying at one of the DisneyWorld value resort, more expensive but more convenient with younger kids. Yes, interested at checking out the Harry Potter attraction at universal. Too bad Disney doesn't offer any shuttles there.
Hi,

It's also too bad that Costco doesn't offer free shuttle service to/from Canadian Tire & Walmart. Might want to skip Universal Studio's Islands of Adventures/The Wizarding World of Harry Potter if your kids aren't old enough to ride on or don't like roller coaster rides. Just go to Universal Studios Florida/ Diagon Alley.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9431 posts
1969 upvotes
Somewhere
For 5 people, taxi van might be best.

The thing about Uber is that during park open and park close hours, they have "Surge Pricing", which makes the price 2x-3x more expensive.

Just negotiate a flat rate with the taxi van. Your hotel bellman can probably call the taxivan for you.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4093 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
retroman80s wrote: Currently doing some research and costing. Thinking of staying at one of the DisneyWorld value resort, more expensive but more convenient with younger kids. Yes, interested at checking out the Harry Potter attraction at universal. Too bad Disney doesn't offer any shuttles there.
I can't imagine why Disney would offer shuttles to their competition lol. It isn't a very far drive though. I would try Uber or a taxi as someone else suggested. Here in Ottawa you can request a larger vehicle through the Uber app, so I would imagine you can do so down there too. I believe the app will tell you if surge pricing is in effect, so you can make your decision based on that.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16527 posts
2238 upvotes
retroman80s wrote: Any ideas how much for one way?

Someone mentioned to try Uber, not sure if you can request a van driver. Never tired Uber, how much would it cost?
Uber has a calculator on their website. For a taxi, you can use www.taxifarefinder.com.
I would stay off resort and rent a car.

Why would Disney offer a shuttle to Universal? That's like Coke offering Pepsi as an alternative?! Or Microsoft Windows at an Apple Store (oops that does happen).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9431 posts
1969 upvotes
Somewhere
coolspot wrote: I would stay off resort and rent a car.
For families of 4 or more, staying at a Disney resort has a lot of benefits. Including, but not limited to:

1) Free shuttle to and from airport.
2) Free shuttle to and from theme parks.
3) Extra theme park hours (e.g. 8am-9am).
4) Can buy Disney meal plans.
5) Disney magic in hotels (more applicable to the more expensive resorts like the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but still).

For many families, staying a Disney resort makes more sense.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16527 posts
2238 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: For families of 4 or more, staying at a Disney resort has a lot of benefits. Including, but not limited to:

1) Free shuttle to and from airport.
2) Free shuttle to and from theme parks.
3) Extra theme park hours (e.g. 8am-9am).
4) Can buy Disney meal plans.
5) Disney magic in hotels (more applicable to the more expensive resorts like the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but still).

For many families, staying a Disney resort makes more sense.
It's a contentious debate; I like Disney, but even I need a break from Disney after a few days.

Even if only to go outlet shopping...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9431 posts
1969 upvotes
Somewhere
coolspot wrote: Even if only to go outlet shopping...
The outlets are pretty crappy, tbh.

I'd rather rent a car and drive to Crystal River to waddle with the manatees.
Jan 16, 2007
975 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Have you considered renting a car for a few days? I've always want some away time from Disney during my stay.

I rented a car to goto:

1. Universal Studios
2. outlet shopping
3. Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center
4. Meals at IHop, Golden Coral, Bahama Breeze, Giordano's deep dish pizza, etc.
5. Walmart/Costco for supplies etc.
6. Sunday Mass.
7. Free parking at parks for Resort patrons. So I often drive instead of waiting for the Disney buses, if I just missed a bus. GPS is needed.

I've rented from the Disney Car care center and from the Disney Swan resort location before. I assume you are staying onsite at a Disney resort. The Car care center offers free shuttle from a Disney resort and I took a boat ride from The Disney Beach club resort to the Swan Resort in the past.
Aug 14, 2015
19 posts
4 upvotes
Victoria, BC
We did the same thing a few years ago. We figured that renting a car is actually cheaper than taking a taxi to Universal Studio and then to airport. We took the free shuttle by WDW after checking out to the airport. Picked up the rental car then parked it at the hotel we stayed near USO. Hotel provides shuttle to USO.