• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 11:50 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25614 posts
4749 upvotes

Best way to get good cell plan - No prepaid

Family member looking to get a better cell plan. Their current plan is pretty bad.
They won't do pre-paid and prefer to stick with one of the more well known companies that offer customer service via the phone. Set in their ways.

When I look on the cell companies websites, the plans are all pretty mediocre at best.
13 replies
Feb 15, 2021
39 posts
28 upvotes
MB-Formerly GTA
Shaner wrote: Family member looking to get a better cell plan. Their current plan is pretty bad.
They won't do pre-paid and prefer to stick with one of the more well known companies that offer customer service via the phone. Set in their ways.

When I look on the cell companies websites, the plans are all pretty mediocre at best.
What do they have for a plan now? And what would they define as better (ex. More data, cheaper price, etc.)?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25614 posts
4749 upvotes
CheapRuss wrote: What do they have for a plan now? And what would they define as better (ex. More data, cheaper price, etc.)?
They get 2 GB for $60 if I remember right
Feb 15, 2021
39 posts
28 upvotes
MB-Formerly GTA
If they are willing to go with a flanker brand, Virgin (owned by Bell) offers a 3GB plan for $45.00, and customer service is staffed
can be reached by phone (hold times generally not long). That is about as good as it gets with the better known brands.
Mar 2, 2017
231 posts
216 upvotes
Shaner wrote: They won't do pre-paid
Any particular reason why they're looking to avoid pre-paid? Going with Public (Telus's 3rd tier brand) or Lucky (Bell's 3rd tier brand) and signing up for autopay with a monthly rate is pretty close to post-paid from a functionality point of view. Pre-paid isn't always the pay per use, 25¢/minute, buying top-up cards at the grocery store type system if that's what they're thinking.

Lucky's got a bit of a sale going on at the moment.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/09/luck ... ect-plans/

Even if they don't want that long term and they're willing to jump through a hoop, they can go with Lucky for a month, migrate to Virgin and be eligible for the 4Gb for $30 migration deal. Better than the posted rates.
virgin-mobile-port-lucky-moble-virgin-4 ... v-2448245/

Also, early May isn't the most competitive time for cell phones. Try looking around the end of the second quarter (end of June) or back to school for better rates.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25614 posts
4749 upvotes
ddot98 wrote: Any particular reason why they're looking to avoid pre-paid? Going with Public (Telus's 3rd tier brand) or Lucky (Bell's 3rd tier brand) and signing up for autopay with a monthly rate is pretty close to post-paid from a functionality point of view. Pre-paid isn't always the pay per use, 25¢/minute, buying top-up cards at the grocery store type system if that's what they're thinking.

Lucky's got a bit of a sale going on at the moment.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/09/luck ... ect-plans/

Even if they don't want that long term and they're willing to jump through a hoop, they can go with Lucky for a month, migrate to Virgin and be eligible for the 4Gb for $30 migration deal. Better than the posted rates.
virgin-mobile-port-lucky-moble-virgin-4 ... v-2448245/

Also, early May isn't the most competitive time for cell phones. Try looking around the end of the second quarter (end of June) or back to school for better rates.
Some people are just so set in their beliefs. Your post made me think of a new angle though, the migration plans. That's how I got such a great deal, going from PM to Koodo on a migration plan.

Are there still migration plans from PM to Koodo?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19980 posts
9409 upvotes
Oakville
Zoomer is best value for non-prepaid, as far as I can tell. They're owned by Rogers, if that makes your family member feel any better.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3375 posts
840 upvotes
Shaner wrote: They get 2 GB for $60 if I remember right
yikes, that's bad... i think even some in market plan has better features... like just checking Fido... $45 with 3GB and already Canada-wide calling...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Feb 29, 2020
187 posts
51 upvotes
Why they didn't contact their own cellphone provider to review their price plans?

Why they didn't change their price plans online?
Shaner wrote: They get 2 GB for $60 if I remember right
Feb 29, 2020
187 posts
51 upvotes
Shaner wrote: ...
What's your expectations?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5095 posts
2001 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Family member looking to get a better cell plan. Their current plan is pretty bad.

Pickup the phone and call them one by one: Bell, Rogers, Telus.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2