• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 7:00 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote

Best way to invest in Gold from brokerage account

Hi,

Myself and my wife are looking for some good ways to invest in gold, with our Canadian brokerage account.

Looking for suggestions for ETF's, possibly equities, or other alternatives with as direct of exposure to gold prices possible.

We would actually be interested to buy gold itself in our brokerage account if there was a way to do that, but we are not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for replies!
9 replies
May 4, 2010
214 posts
206 upvotes
Ottawa
  • Precious metal certificates. By way of example: https://www.scotiaitrade.com/en/direct- ... etals.html
  • TSX: MNT/MNT.U
  • NYSEARCA: GLD
  • If you want the real stuff, speak to your brokerage because they may already offer it. I think Questrade offers trading of physical. Kitco, Silver Gold Bull offer physical in registered accounts. There are probably others.
Mar 20, 2018
169 posts
105 upvotes
If you are looking for a gold ETF, check out Sprott funds, e.g., TSX:PHYS. They do offer a physical redemption option if you own a position above a certain threshold. Their gold is stored in Ottawa.
Apr 12, 2019
81 posts
55 upvotes
stanleyinfrared wrote: If you are looking for a gold ETF, check out Sprott funds, e.g., TSX:PHYS. They do offer a physical redemption option if you own a position above a certain threshold. Their gold is stored in Ottawa.
Good call! Also i strongly believe PSLV ( sprott silver) will shine more than gold in next quarter.
For bullion etf CGl.TO & CGL-C. TO will be a great investment... Specially the hedge version of this Etf will keeo your investment safer during the US election season!
Xgd.to is also worth looking into!
Jun 2, 2020
115 posts
85 upvotes
V5y1v1
plat50 wrote: Hi,

Myself and my wife are looking for some good ways to invest in gold, with our Canadian brokerage account.

Looking for suggestions for ETF's, possibly equities, or other alternatives with as direct of exposure to gold prices possible.

We would actually be interested to buy gold itself in our brokerage account if there was a way to do that, but we are not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for replies!
+1 for all the posts so far - just worth mentioning that currently MNT is trading at a significant premium compared to the others. For this reason I am holding CGL-C.
Banned
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1003 upvotes
Saskatoon
plat50 wrote: Hi,

Thanks for replies!
What did you decide?
I personally prefer physical metal and maybe PHYS
Rest of instruments have very shady structure and unlikely to be 100% backed by physical metal.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7439 posts
3543 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote: What did you decide?
I personally prefer physical metal and maybe PHYS
Rest of instruments have very shady structure and unlikely to be 100% backed by physical metal.
I prefer physical gold as well. I have been wanting to buy some for a while now but haven't researched enough to find out how to minimize associated fees of purchasing.
Banned
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1003 upvotes
Saskatoon
choclover wrote: I prefer physical gold as well. I have been wanting to buy some for a while now but haven't researched enough to find out how to minimize associated fees of purchasing.
There are no associated fees.
I buy from https://silvergoldbull.ca/
Shipping is included if order over $299.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Jul 9, 2020
7 posts
6 upvotes
GLDM is better than GLD if you plan on holding Gold long term...fees are half of what GLD charges (0.18% vs 0.4%). If you're interested in trading Gold, GLD has higher volume. Both are ETFs that track spot prices.