[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2506 posts
462 upvotes
Vancouver

Best Way To Keep Areoplan Points Alive?

Hi

Since I had more spending this year I decided to get a TD Areoplan card and the American Express Gold Card (which the intention to convert it to areoplans). I am not going to keep either of these 2 cards after the first free year. With the bonus points I got enough for 2 long haul flights and was intending to use them up next year.

I am not too sure about that anymore as I found a cruise my family is interested taking and even though we need to fly there I can fly allegiant for $100 to $150 CDN so when I look at the taxes I would have to pay when using Areoplan points it is almost similar so it seems a waste of the points. I also only need 1 way flight as the cruise ship comes to Vancouver.

I see that my Areoplan points expire (mine says Aug 16,2020) though I know right now I have the TD card so I don't think it will expire but when I cancel this card I am not sure if I will have 12 months from that date or if it will fall to that August 16th, 2020.

Maybe if coordinate my transfer of the Amex points to the card I can get it to August 2021 but if that does not work what is the cheapest way to earn points when I only have the Areoplan card and no credit card anymore?
12 replies
Sep 23, 2011
259 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
askingcanadians.com is free and easy
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4246 posts
2537 upvotes
Gotham
On Aeroplan estore. Load $1 ( or whatever to the minimum amount is) to Amazon gift card balance.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
vlad353 wrote: askingcanadians.com is free and easy
Yeah but a way better 'value' to use to earn VIA Preference points, rather than Aeroplan.

I've earned like $1200 of VIA travel on AskingCanadians in the past 4 years I've been using them.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18394 posts
2787 upvotes
Langley
Buy your stuff at Amazon through the Aeroplan e-store.

Everyone shops at Amazon.
Aug 26, 2013
72 posts
31 upvotes
Oakville
Small purchase at Home Hardware... That's worked for me in the past... BIG SMILES... /G
May 11, 2008
771 posts
333 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have Novus, just register your account and you'll collect points every month.
Jan 30, 2006
517 posts
135 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
pump your gas at Esso once a year
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2236 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
As another poster mentioned, small purchases at Home Hardware. I usually buy chocolates to retain my points and expand my waistline :)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1131 posts
311 upvotes
Winnipeg
A suggestion is to add a yearly recurring reminder in your online calendar to do the transaction the month before expiry. For Home Hardware I believe the purchase has to be over a minimum amount like $5 or $7 to trigger getting an Aeroplan point.
Aug 7, 2010
987 posts
349 upvotes
careh wrote: A suggestion is to add a yearly recurring reminder in your online calendar to do the transaction the month before expiry. For Home Hardware I believe the purchase has to be over a minimum amount like $5 or $7 to trigger getting an Aeroplan point.

Last time I tried it was 1 aeropeso for each $3 in purchase.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2506 posts
462 upvotes
Vancouver
I see costco.ca get your areoplan points. Might be an option if I just happen to want something from them. Last year it seems like they had a multiplier bonus for black friday but this year does not seem to be the case?