Tags:
None
[OP]
May 19, 2011
9 posts
NEPEAN

Best way to maximize points?

Hi all,

So I've accumulated quite a few points and I'm looking for suggestions on how to maximize them. I currently have:

87,475 points on an AMEX Cobalt card (MR Select)
35,000 points on a AMEX Gold card (MR)
110,000 points on Aeroplan
105,000 points on British Airways Avios

I've found that I can transfer AMEX gold points (MR) to MR Select points. From there I would be able to transfer to Marriott Bonvoy, which itself allows transfer to British Airways Avios, to add to the points I already have there. Is this the best way to maximize my points? This stuff is complex so could use your help.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14070 posts
11726 upvotes
Not Leask
Depends on the routes you want to travel.

Start drafting some fantasy itineraries.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3531 posts
4363 upvotes
Montreal
Ginu007 wrote: Hi all,

So I've accumulated quite a few points and I'm looking for suggestions on how to maximize them. I currently have:

I've found that I can transfer AMEX gold points (MR) to MR Select points. From there I would be able to transfer to Marriott Bonvoy, which itself allows transfer to British Airways Avios, to add to the points I already have there. Is this the best way to maximize my points? This stuff is complex so could use your help.

Thanks!
By the way, if it is Aeroplan or Avios that you want, MR points (i.e., from your Amex Gold card) transfer directly to Aeroplan or British Airways Avios at 1:1, so no need to go through Bonvoy...
Sep 10, 2016
64 posts
15 upvotes
Ginu007 wrote: Hi all,

Thanks!
Do not transfer MR points to MR select points. Keep them separate.

MR points you can transfer to Aeroplan/ BA depending where you want to travel.

MR select points > Marriott > Alaska as it is valuable program. 50k miles (business) to asia , 60K (business)/ 70k (first class) to India/ South Africa/ Israel etc.