• May 15th, 2020 1:21 pm
[OP]
May 15, 2015
140 posts
143 upvotes
Deathstar

best way to move across Canada

Hi RFD'rs!

Looking at options to move household + pets from Alberta to the Maritimes.

Looking at either renting a 20' uHaul truck + car trailer and driving myself, or other options like putting the car on a train and just driving the uHaul truck, or renting a POD and driving my car etc.

I know it's going to be expensive any way I do it, wonder if anyone's done something similar recently and has any advice to offer?

The uHaul truck + trailer option looks to be the cheapest (and most pain in the ass) and it'd probably be ~ $5000 for the rental + ~$1000 in gas.

Are there ever promo codes for uHaul rentals? Even 10% off would be a godsend.

Cheers!
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15110 posts
12195 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Over the years of doing various moves ...
We have done all sorts

When someone else was paying
The easiest, but most expensive (Lol, for them )
Was professional packers & movers
And then putting the vehicle on the train
And the family flying

When moving on our own money
It’s primarily been by Uhaul

Lots of work to pack & unpack
And a fair bit of money for proper supplies
(Although sometimes you can get money refunded for gently used items ... or just sell them yourself on Kijiji etc )
And then of course there’s the drive
It’s long ... when hauling ... more so if you are dragging a trailer or car behind the truck

But overall way cheaper than any other alternatives
[OP]
May 15, 2015
140 posts
143 upvotes
Deathstar
PointsHubby wrote: When moving on our own money
It’s primarily been by Uhaul

Lots of work to pack & unpack
And a fair bit of money for proper supplies
(Although sometimes you can get money refunded for gently used items ... or just sell them yourself on Kijiji etc )
And then of course there’s the drive
It’s long ... when hauling ... more so if you are dragging a trailer or car behind the truck

But overall way cheaper than any other alternatives
How was that driving with the car behind the big truck? I'm a little terrified of doing it. UHaul site says you cant drive any faster than 90kms/hr too?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1419 posts
236 upvotes
Grimsby
BigStick wrote: How was that driving with the car behind the big truck? I'm a little terrified of doing it. UHaul site says you cant drive any faster than 90kms/hr too?
Rather a long way to be driving 'terrified' but of course you would settle down after the first couple of rest stops. You might decide on the value of your possessions and decide if it might be wiser/safer to sell and buy once back east. Then no big truck is needed.

When we moved from Ont to BC we sold almost everything and dragged a small travel trailer with us where some possessions and 2 cats had residence then bought in BC. Returning to Ont my wife felt it was time we hung onto stuff (we moved often) so we used furniture movers, not the smartest move. Also once settled here the furniture seemed to get replaced well before expiry date. Not said as a complaint, just a statement the way we lived.

Moving from Man to Ont I packed 3 crates with all smaller items and shipped them common carrier, it worked fairly well.

There is no ideal way sadly, it is just a case of picking what seems simplest, least nerve racking and not necessarily over expensive.