Automotive

Best Way To Navigate The Canadian International Autoshow (in Toronto)?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 10:28 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20115 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto

Best Way To Navigate The Canadian International Autoshow (in Toronto)?

map-legend-floors.png

With vehicles divided between the North Building and the South Building, I'm wondering which building you tackle first?

Is there a better "flow" to viewing everything? Just wanted some suggestions.

Not a CIAS newbie, at all, but just looking for some opinions on what everyone else does. Always seems like I'm taking the stairs while everyone else is riding an escalator lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6478 posts
3487 upvotes
Mississauga
In years past I’ve entered on the Front Street side and gradually worked my way south. When I’m done I head back to Front Street which is “against traffic” and an easy out.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20115 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
Do yourselves a favour and show up a little late. The show is open until 10pm.
My Dad and I spent about 5 hours at the show yesterday. If you're eating there, prepare for it, burger and fries and a pop for the two of us was $42!
When we got there (before 3) it was complete chaos (family day) but towards the end, the place was emptying out and even the staff were bored lol

Go during the week - Go in the evenings!
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11777 posts
4088 upvotes
Toronto
Best way to navigate is to go without kids or wife/gf that has NO interest about cars.
I always go during the wk-end and feel exhausted, I work on wk days and have no spare time to go other than wk-ends.

I'm skipping it this year since I just got a new car 2 months ago, but the real reason is going to car showing is extremely tiring and exhausted. Not that I have kids yet, but watching kids, running and jumping around cars isn't a great experience.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 20, 2015
649 posts
177 upvotes
Place
Go on a weekday as it is a bit less hectic versus weekends. We normally start from the North Building then South. If we’re coming from Union, we start from South to North. We bring bottle water and eat before or after we go as they can get pricey.
Good luck!
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
363 upvotes
I went this year and it was similar to last. A lot manufacturers don't give out brochures until you ask for them (good for the environment I guess). I went from South to North building in the morning; spent like 3 hours there and it was quite exhausting.
Aug 22, 2011
159 posts
141 upvotes
NORTH YORK
went today on cheap Tuesday during the day, place was packed, not as packed as a weekend but still jammed. Would recommend not going on cheap tuesday just to save a few bucks. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the north to south building that I used, only had to wait a few minutes both times.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20115 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
008.JPG
085.JPG
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
NTWKid wrote: went today on cheap Tuesday during the day, place was packed, not as packed as a weekend but still jammed. Would recommend not going on cheap tuesday just to save a few bucks. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the north to south building that I used, only had to wait a few minutes both times.
That's exactly why I chose to head out tomorrow instead of the cheaper tuesday, or Family day, or the weekend.

Since I'm going to commute on the GO, I usually start at the South building.

In the years previous, I always started on one side of the 800 level and was exhausted by the time I got to the other side. This time I'm going to target the cars I want to see (mostly the import brands) and only glance at the big Three since I spent a lot of time in their vehicles in Detroit.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20115 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
speedkar9 wrote: That's exactly why I chose to head out tomorrow instead of the cheaper tuesday, or Family day, or the weekend.

Since I'm going to commute on the GO, I usually start at the South building.

In the years previous, I always started on one side of the 800 level and was exhausted by the time I got to the other side. This time I'm going to target the cars I want to see (mostly the import brands) and only glance at the big Three since I spent a lot of time in their vehicles in Detroit.
How much better is the Detroit show? How does it compare to what we have?
Always said I wanted to check out that one ...
RedFlagDeals Addict
May 5, 2016
425 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote: How much better is the Detroit show? How does it compare to what we have?
Not worth the 4 hour drive down to that dump. Been to last years and it wasn't as grand as the car magazines show it to be back in the day. Not all manufacturers show up either.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I went to the Toronto autoshow today. It was great, there honestly wasn't too much of a crowd, with the most being around Audi and Tesla.

Its great to see some up and coming luxury brands coming to the market now, I enjoyed the Genesis G70 and G90, Lincoln Navigator, Jaguar XE L, Maserati and Alfa Romeo to name a few. The new Lexus LS500 has a nice interior as well; I'm surprised they let us in seeing that Benz, BMW and Audi kept their top dog cars locked.

Compact SUV's are becoming more popular. Their step in height and the front seat is great, but I don't understand the cramped rear seats and huge C-pillars. Someone make a 2 Door SUV again, will you?

On the flip side you can tell which manufacturers have stale product and aren't doing that well. Acura, Chrysler and Subaru come to mind. Infiniti isn't up to snuff on all their cars; I was more impressed with the Nissan Maxima's interior than their luxury brand's Q50/Q60 cars.
DaVibe wrote: How much better is the Detroit show? How does it compare to what we have?
If you add everything together that Toronto has, Detroit is actually a smaller auto-show. Their focus is just on the manufacturers, there's no extras like "electric cars" or "hot wheels" or "classics" or "import tuner" or "exotic" themes. Furthermore, most of the luxury cars were locked in Detroit, so you couldn't try them out. A lot of manufacturers were missing, Mazda was the one I missed the most because their cars are still very popular on the roads.

On the plus side, if you wanted to climb into a car in Detroit you have a higher chance to, it seems like most Americans go to the show and walk around the cars, but don't have much interest in checking out the car's interior. You usually get to see the latest in Detroit, not all of the brand new debuts make it to Toronto. Oh and the best thing, there NO KIDS. On the weekday that I went, everyone there seemed mature and above the age of 18 or so. They don't have high-school trips with loud roudy kids like they do in Toronto.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20115 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
speedkar9 wrote: I went to the Toronto autoshow today. It was great, there honestly wasn't too much of a crowd, with the most being around Audi and Tesla.

Its great to see some up and coming luxury brands coming to the market now, I enjoyed the Genesis G70 and G90, Lincoln Navigator, Jaguar XE L, Maserati and Alfa Romeo to name a few. The new Lexus LS500 has a nice interior as well; I'm surprised they let us in seeing that Benz, BMW and Audi kept their top dog cars locked.

Compact SUV's are becoming more popular. Their step in height and the front seat is great, but I don't understand the cramped rear seats and huge C-pillars. Someone make a 2 Door SUV again, will you?

On the flip side you can tell which manufacturers have stale product and aren't doing that well. Acura, Chrysler and Subaru come to mind. Infiniti isn't up to snuff on all their cars; I was more impressed with the Nissan Maxima's interior than their luxury brand's Q50/Q60 cars.

If you add everything together that Toronto has, Detroit is actually a smaller auto-show. Their focus is just on the manufacturers, there's no extras like "electric cars" or "hot wheels" or "classics" or "import tuner" or "exotic" themes. Furthermore, most of the luxury cars were locked in Detroit, so you couldn't try them out. A lot of manufacturers were missing, Mazda was the one I missed the most because their cars are still very popular on the roads.

On the plus side, if you wanted to climb into a car in Detroit you have a higher chance to, it seems like most Americans go to the show and walk around the cars, but don't have much interest in checking out the car's interior. You usually get to see the latest in Detroit, not all of the brand new debuts make it to Toronto. Oh and the best thing, there NO KIDS. On the weekday that I went, everyone there seemed mature and above the age of 18 or so. They don't have high-school trips with loud roudy kids like they do in Toronto.
On Family Day, all Porshe's were locked. A lot of high end vehicles were locked. I bet that wasn't the case today.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6478 posts
3487 upvotes
Mississauga
On Sunday all the Porsches were locked too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6546 posts
2104 upvotes
I went on Tuesday and it was more crowded than I thought it'd be (probably cos of Super Tuesday).

We arrived after my son got off preschool and arrived around 1pm. Started with the exotics, lunch break, north hall, classics/Hot Wheels (he loved the free car and play centre) and then finally south hall. We were done around 6pm.

One thing I noticed (and I guess mission accomplished Toyota) is there were A LOT of younger people looking at and getting into the Camry XSE V6. That's something you NEVER see! Even the girl said there were tons of guys gravitating toward vs. any other car they had.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20115 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
^^^ that red leather
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6721 posts
6805 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Went after work yesterday and the place was pretty quiet - maybe two or three people looking at a car at a given time. I'm never going on weekends again lol
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7454 posts
785 upvotes
Toronto
Was there during the day today. Not overly crowded but waaaay too many teenage boys around, when did most of them stop showering regularly? So gross.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5129 posts
1330 upvotes
Anyone go today?
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."