• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 8:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1937 posts
332 upvotes

Best way to paint drop ceiling T rails?

These T rails are yellow. i cleaned them up but i guess that was the popular cover back 20 years ago.

i was gonna paint them with a primer white paint and leave it . using a brush or a foam roller is better?. i was wondering if thats ok?

my plan was to lift the tiles up and set them on an angle inside the false ceiling prior so the paint dont stick to the tiles.

other option is to use spray paint but i just dont want to take every tile down and stir up more dust.
Images
  • IMG_6309D.jpeg
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
IIRC ... The T rails from the 80s & 90s came in white, Almond & gold

Could be one of those

Or ... it could just be a case of the paint deteriorating / yellowing over time

Or ... more likely ... smokers.

Smokers ruined so much paint & finishes back in the day. It was truly gross !!!

If it’s smoke residue shit ... gonna take a lot more than just primer / paint to fix
(Smoke otherwise will bleed thru )

Gonna take TSP and some major elbow grease

I say take down the panels entirely ... don’t just kitty corner them ... still could get paint on them / ruin them

Then paint the T rails with a brush, or small roller
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1937 posts
332 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: IIRC ... The T rails from the 80s & 90s came in white, Almond & gold

Could be one of those

Or ... it could just be a case of the paint deteriorating / yellowing over time

Or ... more likely ... smokers.

Smokers ruined so much paint & finishes back in the day. It was truly gross !!!

If it’s smoke residue shit ... gonna take a lot more than just primer / paint to fix
(Smoke otherwise will bleed thru )

Gonna take TSP and some major elbow grease

I say take down the panels entirely ... don’t just kitty corner them ... still could get paint on them / ruin them

Then paint the T rails with a brush, or small roller
yes it was smokers. i already wiped down the rails and removed alot of smoke . it was disgusting. i also repainted each panel maybe a few years ago with ceiling paint. that crappy flourescent fixture will be removed hence the newer LED pot light.

i should have painted the rails when i took the panels off years ago when i repainted but i thought it would be fine if the rails were cleaned. they do appear to be originally an almond color.

anyways, in regards to painting the rail, would a simple white latex primer paint be sufficient? i just want it white and primer would stick better and is already white. what do you think?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5078 posts
1487 upvotes
Kitchener
I would paint the tiles and frame. Rent a paint sprayer for a couple of hours and you're done
Dec 25, 2006
669 posts
617 upvotes
Winnipeg
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: that crappy flourescent fixture will be removed hence the newer LED pot light.
Go with an LED flat panel instead - did that in my basement and they are fantastic. Can get them on Amazon for about $175 a pair (2 x 4 foot size)
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Jan 19, 2017
790 posts
870 upvotes
Kitchener
I would recommend doing a smoke sealer like KILZ first. Nicotine and tar color seaps through, then pick your color. Like Drthorne said, rent a sprayer, mask the walls, and can get a dryfall paint product and have the ceiling done in very little time.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4494 posts
2981 upvotes
Spraying would give the best appearance. Get zinsser primer and whatever color paint and be done in a few hours.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)