• Dec 23rd, 2019 11:13 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west

Best way to raise a full shed

So another cut back from either the previous owner, but Im suspecting, the home buider, since the shed it stucoo'ed and trimmed the same colour as the house.

Moved in last year, and loaded the shed up with random stuff. This summer, cleaned it out, sorted, purged, etc. But with all this, the Christmas decorations stayed at the back, because we moved last December, and decorating was the last thing on my mind

Go to get something from the shed last night, the doors are jammed into the ground. So the weight I removed of the decorations was enough for the shed to cantilever forward, because they used no freaking base. Just 4 x 4s on dirt.

While I have done this kind of install in the past, that was on a solid clay ground that was level and never disturbed, so it was hard packed and never moved. This I assume was built when the house was, and put on packed dirt that was dug up, so sunk.

So in short, how can a person lever up the front (while the shed is full) so at least get something under the front temporarily until the spring? I guess I can take the hinges off and at least empty the shed as well, but even so, I cant get any machine in there to lift it for me

Any ideas would be great
21 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8824 upvotes
Toronto
floor and than bottle jacks if needed but a single floor jack sounds like it would suffice.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: floor and than bottle jacks if needed but a single floor jack sounds like it would suffice.
How can a person get bottle jacks or floor jack underneath though if its sunk into the ground? I need to find one of those old style hi-lift jacks if I cant somehow lever it up
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8824 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: How can a person get bottle jacks or floor jack underneath though if its sunk into the ground? I need to find one of those old style hi-lift jacks if I cant somehow lever it up
long pry bar, or dig a small hole and use a 12ft 4x4 to get a little lift, not rocket science :)
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: long pry bar, or dig a small hole and use a 12ft 4x4 to get a little lift, not rocket science :)
That will be fun in frozen ground
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8824 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: That will be fun in frozen ground
At least it won't be sinking when you get some leverage on it to level the base out. Now is the perfect time for such ventures.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
WikkiWikki wrote: So another cut back from either the previous owner, but Im suspecting, the home buider, since the shed it stucoo'ed and trimmed the same colour as the house.

Moved in last year, and loaded the shed up with random stuff. This summer, cleaned it out, sorted, purged, etc. But with all this, the Christmas decorations stayed at the back, because we moved last December, and decorating was the last thing on my mind

Go to get something from the shed last night, the doors are jammed into the ground. So the weight I removed of the decorations was enough for the shed to cantilever forward, because they used no freaking base. Just 4 x 4s on dirt.

While I have done this kind of install in the past, that was on a solid clay ground that was level and never disturbed, so it was hard packed and never moved. This I assume was built when the house was, and put on packed dirt that was dug up, so sunk.

So in short, how can a person lever up the front (while the shed is full) so at least get something under the front temporarily until the spring? I guess I can take the hinges off and at least empty the shed as well, but even so, I cant get any machine in there to lift it for me

Any ideas would be great
Since you would have to eventualy redo the foundation for it, why not just start moving the stuff out?
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
Supahhh wrote: Since you would have to eventualy redo the foundation for it, why not just start moving the stuff out?
And put it all where In the middle of winter? That's why it's in a shed
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
WikkiWikki wrote: So another cut back from either the previous owner, but Im suspecting, the home buider, since the shed it stucoo'ed and trimmed the same colour as the house.

Any ideas would be great
If you dont need anything from the shed and the ground is frozen just wait until the first thaw. It gives you time to plan out your repair.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
antigua1999 wrote: If you dont need anything from the shed and the ground is frozen just wait until the first thaw. It gives you time to plan out your repair.
Well the post says I do. And it's something I need and ant borrow or rent
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2152 upvotes
GTA
With no pic its hard to tell what might work OP. If you can access the end of base 4x4 screw a HD angle bracket on it. Then use a 4x4 placed with a block to cantilever/lift the corner....wedge it level. Play with the lift/wedges until you can open doors. You need a very good angle bracket, I straightened up some sinking porch stairs for a friend last winter that way and got a paver underneath to wedge it up until weather got warmer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9677 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
I think I need some pictures.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
Zamboni wrote: With no pic its hard to tell what might work OP. If you can access the end of base 4x4 screw a HD angle bracket on it. Then use a 4x4 placed with a block to cantilever/lift the corner....wedge it level. Play with the lift/wedges until you can open doors. You need a very good angle bracket, I straightened up some sinking porch stairs for a friend last winter that way and got a paver underneath to wedge it up until weather got warmer.
Ill look for today in the day light. Get home in the dark everynight so will see what I can figure out. All I need to do is get on side up and wedge a crappy patio block or something in there, and then the other side
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: I think I need some pictures.
Well you wont get them. Its a typical wooden garden shed on 4 x 4;s with 2 swing doors. And its in the dirt on the front. That's pretty explanatory
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9677 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: Well you wont get them. Its a typical wooden garden shed on 4 x 4;s with 2 swing doors. And its in the dirt on the front. That's pretty explanatory
Well, you wont get any help from me then. That’s pretty self explanatory.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6122 posts
860 upvotes
Greely
For someone asking for help you've got a pretty shitty attitude towards anyone who replies.

Good luck
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
steve-0101 wrote: For someone asking for help you've got a pretty shitty attitude towards anyone who replies.

Good luck
K
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18890 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
steve-0101 wrote: For someone asking for help you've got a pretty shitty attitude towards anyone who replies.

Good luck
No time for pics today