• May 10th, 2019 10:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2596 posts
1910 upvotes

Best way to remove a tree next to home

Hi All,

We're concerned that the roots from the small tree planted next to our house will eventually cause foundation damage. Not sure what kind of tree it is but here is a picture:

Are we right to be concerned about damage from the roots? What would be the best way to get rid of it? Is it ok to just use a hand saw and leave a foot-long stump sticking up from the ground? Or is it best to also dig up the stump (using a shovel?)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1302 upvotes
West GTA
You are right to be concerned. Yes, just use a hand saw to cut the tree, then paint the stump with stump killer (can just use high-strength glyphosate). If you'd like, you can dig the stump down below the surface and cut it there - it'll save you having an ugly stump sticking up next to your house.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
I'd chop it down and dig out the roots. Just cutting it down isn't going to prevent your future root issue which is the base of your concern. Because of the location, I would bet that to remove this would be a 2 on the DYI chart.

DYI chart:
0-joke
10-no joke
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2151 upvotes
GTA
If you don't own a sawsall/reciporcating saw this job justifies buying one. Get a few quotes from arborists online by providing that pic, run that by your accounting dept and then get the recip saw/pruning blade.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1030 posts
587 upvotes
London, On
If you don't take the stump out, you will still be having parts of it growing. I had a similar thing, took the sawsall to it and left a little stump, and not even 2 months later, I had new sprouts coming out of the stump. Hell, even if you do dig out the stump, there is probably other parts down there that will still keep coming up lol.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8891 posts
1832 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Most trees won't damage your foundation. There are a few species that can cause damage, but that doesn't look like a concern.

If you still want it removed, cut it down and dig out the roots that you can reach.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2278 posts
1621 upvotes
SW Ontario
Oh heck, just get a buddy with a pickup truck to back up, wrap a chain around tight at the base and rip it out.

I've done this countless times both personally and business wise.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...