Automotive

best way to Rent a car for commute temporarily?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 9:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2019
5 posts

best way to Rent a car for commute temporarily?

Hello everyone.
I have some family friends who will be coming to Toronto and live for a few months.
What would be the most economical way to rent a car for them just for a few months?
They won't be driving much. They won't be travelling.
Just the usual driving to grocery store, gym, eating out etc.

I've looked into ZIpCar commuter plan but there is no Zipcar station nearby where they will be staying.
Just renting from Hertz or something similar seems quite expensive.
I'm thinking about taking over a car lease that has a few months left.

Any other ideas that you guys can think of?
If taking over a lease is the best option, is there a website you guys recommend to look into what's on the market?

Thank you for your help in advance.

EDIT:
It's a long story to explain their situation but my family friends are all Canadian citizens with Toronto home address.
The driver already has Ontario driver license
Last edited by asgas1f1ca5 on Dec 4th, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15723 posts
13464 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If they won’t be driving much, why not just uber/Lyft?
[OP]
Dec 1, 2019
5 posts
EP32k2 wrote: If they won’t be driving much, why not just uber/Lyft?
They will be driving multiple times a day.
Kilometer wise, they wont be driving much is what i meant to say.
For convenience wise, they would like to avoid uber/lyft. great suggestion tho
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15723 posts
13464 upvotes
Richmond Hill
asgas1f1ca5 wrote: They will be driving multiple times a day.
Kilometer wise, they wont be driving much is what i meant to say.
For convenience wise, they would like to avoid uber/lyft. great suggestion tho
If that’s the case. Doing a lease takeover is probably easiest. Leasebusters is one of the main sites.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2806 posts
2067 upvotes
Toronto
Rent a wreck is the only thing I can think of, do not have any experience with them nor does anyone I know. No idea on cost either but the name would imply cheap.

See if their work has a discount with rental agencies? I have an account for my businesses with Enterprise and get great rates on long term rentals with extra insurance.
Apr 5, 2017
838 posts
604 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If you have a CAA, Goodlife, Perkopolis, or Costco membership they all offer 20-25% discounted rentals with unlimited KM.

Rented a 2020 Grand Cherokee for 5 days for $105 and a 2019 Buick Regal Turbo for 5 days for $105. Compact cars might be a fair bit cheaper than that. Depends on the area.

Not sure if Toronto has Turo or not. Check that out too.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2594 posts
1213 upvotes
Seems like economics and convenience clashes.
Reality, best economically is lending them a car that's hardly used.
Best convenience, they go rent a car weekly.
Other options, public transit/walk/ride a bike/scooter.
They could purchase a used car, but not sure how ownership/insurance will work out with "international" licenses.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4745 upvotes
Check on insurance and credit eligibility before doing that.

If you are putting that car under your name and you are paying for everything and lend the car to them would probably be the easiest, especially if they are not from Canada.

But any screw up they do is on you.
Jan 8, 2015
373 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
I was under the impression you cant do lease takeovers with so little time remaining.
Go buy a $1000 car. Scrap it and get $500 after they leave.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4745 upvotes
tomboylols wrote: Turo
Just be aware since it's over 1 month of rental, regardless of Turo/traditional rental, CC CDW coverage will lapse.

And if I recall (unless they changed it), there is some gotchas with Turo's insurance.
EDIT: Still the same, all their CDW plans doesn't cover mechanical and interior damages.

Otherwise, Turo could be 30% cheaper than traditional rental agency for multi month rental.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8824 upvotes
Toronto
We are talking months here. Buy a junker and sell it when they leave. Who the hell moves for months? Sound like nothing but inconvenience.

Lemme guess. Will disappear when it comes time to return to motherland. Live of welfare.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 11, 2015
97 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
Xtrema wrote: Just be aware since it's over 1 month of rental, regardless of Turo/traditional rental, CC CDW coverage will lapse.

And if I recall (unless they changed it), there is some gotchas with Turo's insurance.
EDIT: Still the same, all their CDW plans doesn't cover mechanical and interior damages.

Otherwise, Turo could be 30% cheaper than traditional rental agency for multi month rental.
Turo provides insurance via Intact Insurance and some cars have long term rentals. Just schedule with the host. It should be a lot cheaper.
Mar 2, 2012
171 posts
200 upvotes
MILTON
sebakaa wrote: I was under the impression you cant do lease takeovers with so little time remaining.
Go buy a $1000 car. Scrap it and get $500 after they leave.
Easier said than done. Wouldn't we all love to buy a car for $1000, drive it headache-free for few months and then sell it for $500?
Are we talking about a car that is certified with emission test completed?
Safe to drive and working properly, including breaks?
While this is not impossible, you will have to take a chance, which means on average, this will cost you much more, one way or another.

What will be insurance rate for someone who doesn't live in the GTA area?

Someone wrote it costs $100 or so per week for a car rental, IMO that is a great deal and headache free solution. Many people are paying more monthly for the insurance alone in GTA.

Think of the many things that can go wrong with taking a chance on potentially unreliable car.

Better safe than sorry, we are talking about the difference of couple of hundred of dollars.

If you find a solution for a 1000$ or less you will feel like a genius but on the other side, if things don't work out, you will feel like a fool and it may cost you dearly.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
287 upvotes
There are decent $1000 cars out there. $1000 car + CAA means you will never get stranded. The +/- is the number of months and cost per month.

Also consider buying a $5000 car and selling it at a small loss ($4000).

Some types of cars don't depreciate over a small number of mileage.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2019
5 posts
dantey wrote: Seems like economics and convenience clashes.
Reality, best economically is lending them a car that's hardly used.
Best convenience, they go rent a car weekly.
Other options, public transit/walk/ride a bike/scooter.
They could purchase a used car, but not sure how ownership/insurance will work out with "international" licenses.
Xtrema wrote: Check on insurance and credit eligibility before doing that.

If you are putting that car under your name and you are paying for everything and lend the car to them would probably be the easiest, especially if they are not from Canada.

But any screw up they do is on you.

It's a long story to explain their situation but my family friends are all Canadian citizens with Toronto home address.
The driver already has Ontario driver license with car insurance that's inactive atm but can be re-activated anytime.
Literally just need a physical car for a few months.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2019
5 posts
koffey wrote: We are talking months here. Buy a junker and sell it when they leave. Who the hell moves for months? Sound like nothing but inconvenience.

Lemme guess. Will disappear when it comes time to return to motherland. Live of welfare.
Good guess but completely wrong. Who the hell moves for months? well everyone's situation is different. Thanks for your "Help" anyway.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
firestarter99 wrote: Also consider buying a $5000 car and selling it at a small loss ($4000).
This is what I'd do.

I just priced 3 months insurance for my new car. It was about $800. A $5-10k car is probably going to be cheaper, but let's say it's $800 anyways due to driver history, car value, whatever. It's my example.
3 months of car rentals is going to be $800/month for a location near me in BC. YMMV obviously, but I'm doing math. Do your own math if you want.

Rent a car for 3 months.
Total cost: $2400.

Buy a $10k car. Pay $800 for insurance. Sell for $8400.
Total cost: $2400.
Sell it for $9000.
Make $600 vs renting.

Or buy a $5k car. Insure for less (let's say $400)
Sell for $4000.
Total cost: $1400. Make $1000 over renting.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2594 posts
1213 upvotes
asgas1f1ca5 wrote: It's a long story to explain their situation but my family friends are all Canadian citizens with Toronto home address.
The driver already has Ontario driver license with car insurance that's inactive atm but can be re-activated anytime.
Literally just need a physical car for a few months.
If you go the route of purchasing a vehicle, look into CAA insurance as they have a pay by mileage insurance. May work out cheaper in this situation.