• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2021 12:21 am
[OP]
Oct 22, 2016
280 posts
94 upvotes

best way to sell mercedes benz SUV?

hello all,

Seems like used auto market is pretty hot right now. My wife want me to sell her 2012 mecedez benz SUV so we can pruchase the new Acura MDX.

What is the best way to sell used mercedes?
14 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1667 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Kijiji. FB marketplace. Trade in and skip hassle.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
What makes you think used car market is hot?
Because new car has back log for delivery?

Not sure a 9 years old Mercedes is in demand, i do not think so.

If you have a 2019/2020 Mercedes G55, then hell yes, it is in demand.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2302 posts
2994 upvotes
Toronto
if any friends / family / friends of friends want to buy a car, contact them first.

selling on kijiji is kind of annoying unless it is a car that is in demand. you will get scams/lowballs/waste of time... then you have to do test drive during covid...

dealership gonna give the least amount of money, but no hassle.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3185 posts
829 upvotes
Vaughan
sonyminidiscman wrote: if any friends / family / friends of friends want to buy a car, contact them first.

selling on kijiji is kind of annoying unless it is a car that is in demand. you will get scams/lowballs/waste of time... then you have to do test drive during covid...

It would the same if you sell any where else. You get low balls no matter where you post it. You just have to have realistic expectations of what your vehicle is worth, and price it a bit higher to leave room for negotiations.

I sold a car on kijiji back in 2013. Sold in 2 days. Sold it to the first person who replied. Sold another vehicle in 2020 through Facebook. Took a week, but sold it to the only person who replied to my ad.

Also my dad sold his suv a few weeks ago. My dad's neighbour helped him sell it through kijiji. My dad's english isn't good, so the neighbour helped him with the sale. It sold within hours of the posting.

I've never had any problems selling used cars in a relatively short time. Its no hassle imo, and you maximize your profits vs the trade in at the dealership. I say always try to sell privately first, and if you can't get a decent amount for it, then trade it in as a last resort.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10042 posts
5015 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Accept doge coin in your listing
Telus Peace of Mind Plan $45 25GB
Feb 8, 2010
493 posts
407 upvotes
coolmanfever wrote: Seems like used auto market is pretty hot right now.
Slightly used G63 is very hot, selling at almost new car price... But I doubt 9 yrs old SUV is in demand.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8153 posts
802 upvotes
Brampton
Price it right and it will sell quick.

Find out how much Acura is giving as a trade in and don’t forget to add 13%(savings on tax) to the figure.

Then price it at whatever amount you want more than what Acura is giving but also check the average asking price for a comparable model/year/trim.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5178 posts
1098 upvotes
Montreal
I’d be realistic. A 9 year old Lexus RX will sell easily but most people will avoid a comparable German SUV unless they like money pits.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3486 posts
2262 upvotes
Montreal
sonyminidiscman wrote: if any friends / family / friends of friends want to buy a car, contact them first.

If it turned out to be a money pit, that's a surefire way to sour the relationship.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2302 posts
2994 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote: If it turned out to be a money pit, that's a surefire way to sour the relationship.
Not really... as long as seller is honest, and buyer does their own due diligence, its fine.

I have been on both sides, and bought an x5 from friend off lease, end up having all sorts of issues with sensors, 10k repair bill, my friend would not know it would happen a few months down the road... be an adult, you bought it, you are responsible for it.

the only way to sour the relationship is if you lied about anything, like no accidents but there was one repaired off insurance. if your friend is unreasonable and childish, then you don't need that friend, too bad so sad.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2016
280 posts
94 upvotes
thanks. it is ML350 2012 model. I think trading in probably make sense.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
Check how much dealer is giving you as a trade in value.
If you don't mind the hassle to sell private, list it for at least 15-20% higher than what dealer offer and see if you get more money out of it than a trade in.

Anything less than 15% is probably not worth it since you are saving more tax on your new Acura and hassle free.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27441 posts
7114 upvotes
Hamilton
Does not hot
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo