Best way to sell/trade in PS4

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 8:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
94 posts
199 upvotes
I called two EBGames locations - $220 trade in value for the PS Slim 1tb and one controller.. kijiji and craigslist the ASK is 250 - 300 depending on # of controllers and games included

I dont expect the PS4 going for more since there selling brand new ones for 380, open box for 350
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2396 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
bg8055 wrote: I called two EBGames locations - $220 trade in value for the PS Slim 1tb and one controller.. kijiji and craigslist the ASK is 250 - 300 depending on # of controllers and games included

I dont expect the PS4 going for more since there selling brand new ones for 380, open box for 350
Now the question is do you want to try and get more from Kijiji, or go for easier but less money from EB?
Also keep in mind, is it cash or store credit? Meaning you'd have to purchase from EB if it is store credit. The only way you could get it out if it is store credit is to get them to transfer the credit to those vanilla credit cards they sell, which they also ding you for a small service charge on.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
94 posts
199 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Now the question is do you want to try and get more from Kijiji, or go for easier but less money from EB?
Also keep in mind, is it cash or store credit? Meaning you'd have to purchase from EB if it is store credit. The only way you could get it out if it is store credit is to get them to transfer the credit to those vanilla credit cards they sell, which they also ding you for a small service charge on.
In store credit, im using the balance to pre-order the ps5 when available. I don't want to deal with the low ball emails and the waste of time. The spread of a bid and an ask of a PS4 on Kijiji/CL is way too unpredictable.

i dont care where i buy the ps5, my amex will double the manufacture warranty up to 1 year
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
94 posts
199 upvotes
I can get 260 guaranteed from ebgames including all controllers and games, i will list it on CL and Kijiji for 300 up until saturday, if nothing then its going to EB for trade in.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4494 posts
1629 upvotes
Ajax
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not really ever recall massive trade in programs on a console launch. Don't they usually come 8-10 months later and beyond?

I usually scalp a few units to pay for my own but this time I wonder if things will be different. With 2 skus, will one be more popular than the other? What if there are finance offers like Xbox? I have the same queries about the Xbox Series S and X. Will they actually be scalpable this time out.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2396 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
bg8055 wrote: I can get 260 guaranteed from ebgames including all controllers and games, i will list it on CL and Kijiji for 300 up until saturday, if nothing then its going to EB for trade in.
Oh, that's only $40 more over the console's TIV... How many games and extra controllers are you talking? I'd be hesitant to give them all of that for only $40 more unless the games are just sports games. I know you want the most cash in the shortest time, but maybe share the list of inventory above the console and 1 controller you have to include, get some guidance here.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Oct 30, 2019
94 posts
199 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Oh, that's only $40 more over the console's TIV... How many games and extra controllers are you talking? I'd be hesitant to give them all of that for only $40 more unless the games are just sports games. I know you want the most cash in the shortest time, but maybe share the list of inventory above the console and 1 controller you have to include, get some guidance here.
there all greatest hits games, EB is giving $3 to $7 per game ($20 each brand new, they sell them $10 to $15 used) and $12 for controller, total is 40
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2396 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
bg8055 wrote: there all greatest hits games, EB is giving $3 to $7 per game ($20 each brand new, they sell them $10 to $15 used) and $12 for controller, total is 40
I mean, it's your money, but I would think you could get a few more bucks for a used DS4 than $12...
Also remember that PS4 games should (unconfirmed) work on the PS5, so you don't think any of them are worth replaying I suppose?
c'mon get happy!
Nov 24, 2015
962 posts
667 upvotes
Durham Region
Whoever is thinking eb will offer you
$300 for a PS4 trade in at ps5 launch is delusional

The current promo is the most you will get and likely go down from here

Also don’t trade a bunch of games for a couple bucks now, and especially not an extra controller for $12
They have better promos that will bump values up to $10 for games and controller should be an easy sell for $30+
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2710 posts
665 upvotes
Belle River
I'd like to hear opinions on bundling with games to sell, would you bundle a large number of decent/recent games or would you sell them separately? When I say separately it doesn't have to be one by one but at least all the games in a separate ad, or take the cheapest and bundle them with console. What do you think?

I feel separating works better because it's sorta like "sticker shock" we talk about around here. If you post a console with like 25 decent/recent games, all people see is the high price and don't even consider your ad. I think I'm gonna sell my PS4 and Xbox One X Scorpio (not that being a Scorpio really matters especially in my area) very soon, but I haven't decided on prices yet, prob like $300 something, seems to be what people are saying here. I kept the original packaging and such which does make it look a little "nicer" but again my area is a kinda harsh Kijiji market, it "don't care" about anything :).

I barely touched my consoles this year, I regret not selling them several months ago when I first started thinking it was time to let them go before the new consoles had solid release dates, or had been fully revealed, etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2396 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
hystavito wrote: I'd like to hear opinions on bundling with games to sell, would you bundle a large number of decent/recent games or would you sell them separately? When I say separately it doesn't have to be one by one but at least all the games in a separate ad, or take the cheapest and bundle them with console. What do you think?

I feel separating works better because it's sorta like "sticker shock" we talk about around here. If you post a console with like 25 decent/recent games, all people see is the high price and don't even consider your ad. I think I'm gonna sell my PS4 and Xbox One X Scorpio (not that being a Scorpio really matters especially in my area) very soon, but I haven't decided on prices yet, prob like $300 something, seems to be what people are saying here. I kept the original packaging and such which does make it look a little "nicer" but again my area is a kinda harsh Kijiji market, it "don't care" about anything :).

I barely touched my consoles this year, I regret not selling them several months ago when I first started thinking it was time to let them go before the new consoles had solid release dates, or had been fully revealed, etc.
I would bundle with the lower-priced games, try to get the most for the higher-priced games (Kijiji or EB trade-in), and be prepared to sell the console for a lower than list price with no games included.
I agree with you, right now people might see the price and not the games included. And as mentioned elsewhere, EB will do a $10 minimum trade offer on PS4/Xbox One games soon enough meaning the crap you would be giving away could be a couple of new games for the new console.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2160 posts
645 upvotes
Edmonton
Wow ... $250 for the PS4 pro is a tempting trade in. Can I survive 2 months without a Playstation? lol

It's probably not going to get better ... especially if next-gen console supply is tight.
Sep 18, 2017
561 posts
766 upvotes
Vancouver
networksend wrote: For reference:
EB just had a PS4 trade promo, It’s still on the website for info:
Original fat PS4 500gb $150
Slim 500gb $200
Slim 1TB $220
Pro 1TB $250
Updated values as of right now

Original fat PS4 500gb: $135
Original fat PS4 1TB: $165
Slim 500gb $175
Pro 1TB $225
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2396 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
kaiseki wrote: Updated values as of right now

Original fat PS4 500gb: $135
Original fat PS4 1TB: $165
Slim 500gb $175
Pro 1TB $225
Oh, I thought the current TIV's were supposed to be until October? That's what someone said in another thread. Gonna be a lotta angry people...

EDIT seems the values I'm thinking are for people with preorders, this is for non-preorder people.

Gonna be a lot of angry people still...
c'mon get happy!