Computers & Electronics

Best way to stream hi-res audio to an iPad

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2018 12:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes

Best way to stream hi-res audio to an iPad

Hey guys,

I recently picked up some nice headphones so I'm wanting to hear how 24/96 audio sounds on them. Do any of you know of good software for the iPad and/or my computer that will make this possible? I want to use my PC or my router as a server and then just stream the files on my iPad. I have an Asus AC86U router and a 5tb hard drive hooked up to it. I know it does have some NAS functions.

If any of you guys know how to do this I would appreciate it. Thanks.
I am a Zoomer customer.
11 replies
Member
User avatar
Dec 18, 2017
240 posts
137 upvotes
GVA
I'm pretty sure there isn't an option to stream and play hi-res on Apple devices. Try VLC. MacWorld
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SickBeast wrote: I recently picked up some nice headphones so I'm wanting to hear how 24/96 audio sounds on them. Do any of you know of good software for the iPad and/or my computer that will make this possible? I want to use my PC or my router as a server and then just stream the files on my iPad. I have an Asus AC86U router and a 5tb hard drive hooked up to it. I know it does have some NAS functions.
There is a way - just get rid of the redundant step of going through the ipad.
Stream audio directly from your PC to your bluetooth headphones (can be 2 not just one)
You need what I have (a TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver) which links up with the audio out (optical or analogue) and your bluetooth headphone
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: There is a way - just get rid of the redundant step of going through the ipad.
Stream audio directly from your PC to your bluetooth headphones (can be 2 not just one)
You need what I have (a TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver) which links up with the audio out (optical or analogue) and your bluetooth headphone
Thanks. But my headphones are wired. And my iPad has the best DAC. I guess I could also use my Essential Phone. Is this possible with android?
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SickBeast wrote: But my headphones are wired. And my iPad has the best DAC.
If you have a wired headphone, you can directly connect it to your pc audio analogue output.
Even though your iPad has a better DAC, the improvement , if any, will be wiped out by the fact that it is not the direct source of music (from your pc).
A roundabout way of hookup has never been a good solution.
I am not sure about the sound card of your pc. But you can improve it (e.g replacement) even if it is an vanilla built-in component of the motherboard
SickBeast wrote: I guess I could also use my Essential Phone.
Yes . Essential phone is Android and you can copy your audio files from your pc to the phone instead of iPad.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
So, just to answer my own question, this is possible. You need to convert all your FLAC files over to ALAC, then add them to your iTunes library on your PC. Then, enable sharing.

I was just hoping to use my router instead to save on power consumption. My PC is pretty insane and I'm sure it has pretty bad idle power consumption. Probably at least 100 watts.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18956 posts
6130 upvotes
London
SickBeast wrote: So, just to answer my own question, this is possible. You need to convert all your FLAC files over to ALAC, then add them to your iTunes library on your PC. Then, enable sharing.

I was just hoping to use my router instead to save on power consumption. My PC is pretty insane and I'm sure it has pretty bad idle power consumption. Probably at least 100 watts.
Cant you just use the VLC app (from the App Store ) on a iPad to stream your audio files from any smb fileshare, no file conversion required?

Folks do this all the time with video files
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Cant you just use the VLC app (from the App Store ) on a iPad to stream your audio files from any smb fileshare, no file conversion required?

Folks do this all the time with video files
Thanks very much. Yes I believe this is possible.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15301 posts
6317 upvotes
Just FYI guys, VLC works beautifully for this. Thanks again, @l69norm.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9627 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I personally use FileBrowser Biz to connect to my NAS and use nPlayer Pro for media

Unfortunately, both are paid apps

Top