• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 8:10 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario

Best way to take care of this plant

I received this plant and I really don't want it to die. I plan to water it weekly (hopefully that is enough) but sunlight is going to be a bit of an issue as my living room does not have much sunlight this time of year. Do I have to keep this plant in full sunlight and do I have to feed it other than water?
Images
  • sago-palm-bonsai-tree.jpg
6 replies
May 28, 2012
11326 posts
3542 upvotes
Saskatoon
It's a sago palm. If you don't have enough light, the leaves will not keep that look, they will become more contorted as it reaches for more light.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
Watch for bugs (mealy bugs, fungus gnats...) These are expensive plants and you are wise to want to keep it healthy. I rarely fertilize houseplants especially if the conditions aren't optimal because it will just result in weak growth. Nice plant though!
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
Thank you both for replying.
The plant is starting to have yellow leaves now so should I cut these off?
Should the soil stay moist on top?
I use ground espresso a lot, should I mix some of the used espresso grounds in the soil to add nitrogen?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
rfd4life4ever wrote: Thank you both for replying.
The plant is starting to have yellow leaves now so should I cut these off?
Should the soil stay moist on top?
I use ground espresso a lot, should I mix some of the used espresso grounds in the soil to add nitrogen?
Yes, cut off any yellow/dead leaves.

I wouldn't recommend adding used grounds - or maybe just mix a couple of tablespoons every few months. You may find that it attracts fungus gnats, which are a real nuisance on houseplants. If you want to fertilize, then use a diluted amount of a balanced fertilizer that is for plants, during the plants active growth period early spring to early fall (I find plants do better with a rest period during the winter).
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20681 posts
8866 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of these. It got infected with mealy bugs. It took two years of religiously wiping down the leaves with denatured alcohol to clear the infection. In the summer time, it goes outside because this plant loves full sunlight. When outside the thing grows like weed. Indoors, not too much happens. All I do is water, not even fertilizer.