Shopping Discussion

Best website to hire a lawyer in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 11:46 am
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto

Best website to hire a lawyer in Canada?

In the US there are quite a few website, were people can post their legal issue, and get quotes and advice from various lawyers ready to represent them. I'm having a hard time finding something similar in Canadian legal community. I seen individual lawyer blogs, and some legal agency topic advice pages, but no competitive quote website from various practicing lawyers.

Can someone point local sites in Canada & Ontario where one can post a legal problem, and expect lawyers coming with price quotes for representation? Or at least multiple lawyers posting legal advice about one's problem, thus encouraging to contact them?

Also, on what website its easy to find Canadian case law (previous court decisions) relevant to your case, civil or criminal? I'm specifically looking for landlord and tenant, and medical malpractice case law and lawyer offer sites.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14736 posts
2534 upvotes
https://www.canlii.org/en/

As far as the legal advice..I don't think you will get any lawyer offering you a legal advice on the web; Perhaps a law student?

https://lso.ca/public-resources/finding ... ctory?op=1

Search feature to find you a legal rep for your query. You get 30 min free of advice.

https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/lawyer ... ng-process

https://www.probonoontario.org/hotline/

http://yourlegalrights.on.ca/organizati ... al-Service
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote: google to find best lawyers
Its a questionable approach. Lawyers are expensive, especially putting a lot of effort to position themselves as "best", possibly posting feedback themselves or by staff using various nicknames. Web quotations accompanied by some legal strategy is IMHO a better way to find a lawyer than "best reviews". Also, some young lawyers seeking to establish a name and customer base can be a better choice compare to the "best lawyer" who doesn't do anything himself, all by legal assistants, and hardly familiar with your case, even less interested to win it.

As to so called "free 30 min advice", I found it not be a valuable resource either. Tried several times, but private lawyers tend to say nothing of value during these 30 min, hinting in the last min they can say MORE if hired. My impression is, they are just robbing legal aid if this free advice is actually paid for by taxpayer. Agencies like Probono tend to do better in terms of free advice, but by the time you contact them you know more than they can say about your legal options, their advice is very basic.

Its kind of strange, web competition of lawyers in the US is so strong fighting for clients, but in Canada I found no bidding site for legal services. Are local lawyers really so busy despite exuberant hourly rates?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14736 posts
2534 upvotes
zamar81 wrote: Its a questionable approach. Lawyers are expensive, especially putting a lot of effort to position themselves as "best", possibly posting feedback themselves or by staff using various nicknames. Web quotations accompanied by some legal strategy is IMHO a better way to find a lawyer than "best reviews". Also, some young lawyers seeking to establish a name and customer base can be a better choice compare to the "best lawyer" who doesn't do anything himself, all by legal assistants, and hardly familiar with your case, even less interested to win it.

As to so called "free 30 min advice", I found it not be a valuable resource either. Tried several times, but private lawyers tend to say nothing of value during these 30 min, hinting in the last min they can say MORE if hired. My impression is, they are just robbing legal aid if this free advice is actually paid for by taxpayer. Agencies like Probono tend to do better in terms of free advice, but by the time you contact them you know more than they can say about your legal options, their advice is very basic.

Its kind of strange, web competition of lawyers in the US is so strong fighting for clients, but in Canada I found no bidding site for legal services. Are local lawyers really so busy despite exuberant hourly rates?
You should try divorce layers..even the cheap ones are $400+/hr.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Any suggestion for a lawyer bidding site on client case representation?

Any suggestion for a good landlord & tenant lawyer in Ontario? Is there a popular Canada legal forum on the web?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15189 posts
12344 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Truth is rules are quite different in the US vs Canada when it comes to Professionals & Advertising
This is especially true for lawyers and any sort of claims that they may make regarding costs or results
These rules were put into place to protect the Consumer from “the charlatans” that the law profession tends to attract
They don’t call them... ambulance chasers, bottom feeders etc for nothing
They’ve never met a dollar they did not like / want
I think anyone who’s ever had to hire one for any substantial reason (like a divorce) has not got much positive to say about the lawyer who parked themself in the middle... and laughed all the way to the bank... whether their client won or lost the case
Any how here’s an article that sums up why we don’t see a whole lot of lawyers advertising in Ontario
https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/autho ... c-age-212/

And it’s pretty much a NEW thing that we see any now... it was just a few years ago, there was absolutely none

Personally, I think I liked it better that way
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Well, I think for a lawyer showing competence through a blog like this one is in fact a very good thing. Because in between readers get well educated even without intent to hire this guy. Of course he has a big practice, and apparently for a good reason. If one doesn't want to share knowledge and skills, and in the process demonstrate competence and inspire confidence in prospective clients, then loosing the game is not so surprising. All that's left is old fashion word of mouse.

Anyway, all these advertising restrictions don't preclude plaintiffs discussing legal issues and their cases on a specialized forum, with some comments from lawyers in between, just like it happens with many other professions. People discuss electronics repair on Bad Caps, and a dozen of experienced repair techs chime in. If I know the guy gives consistently excellent advice on a specialized forum, I actually ask him first in a PM to chime in, and would hire first if needed. Why I can't find a solid Canadian legal forum on the web, where people share cases to the degree possible privacy wise, and get some advice or shared experience from "nicknames", some being possibly lawyers? This kind of advice is not binding, just serves to help a stranger and meanwhile get familiar with level of the helper's competence.

As to advertising in legal profession, there are pros and cons. Dentists show white healthy teeth on every billboard, so why lawyers can't offer lower rates through ads? This efforts to keep fees super high by limiting ads is similar to ON Dental Fee Guide, designed by the industry lobbyists to keep the fees at evenly high level everywhere. But it doesn't seem to restrict lawyer participation in public forums, at least under nicknames.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13355 posts
2251 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Lawyers r professionals. They r classy and r not allowed to stoop to such measures like used car salepeople.

Try reaching out to your highschool or post-secondary buddies. There must be one person who became a lawyer. Poke them on Facebook.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
522 upvotes
Becks wrote: Lawyers r professionals. They r classy and r not allowed to stoop to such measures like used car salepeople.

Try reaching out to your highschool or post-secondary buddies. There must be one person who became a lawyer. Poke them on Facebook.
They are getting awfully close ;) with their stupid jingly TV ads.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Lawyers r professionals.
I don't know if it always the case. But it doesn't preclude law professionals from participating in legal knowledge sharing web forums. Its strange that even law students don't run such forums despite having enough time and motivation on their hands. Anyway its better than stupid bus stop ads.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6190 posts
1439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
good lawyers don't need advertising. Just choose the firm.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Not true. "Good lawyer" is a vague term. Too expensive lawyer is not good for most RFD readers, no matter their reviews. I want to see if the lawyer is good "for me" rather than "good" based on reviews. I want to check their intellect, knowledge of the law area, energy, discipline, desire to serve the client - all myself before hiring. Anyway, anyone can suggest a legal internet forum in Canada?
Last edited by zamar81 on Oct 1st, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1944 posts
456 upvotes
Calgary
No respectable lawyer is going to provide advice over the internet. In order to properly understand the situation, proper meetings (at least through phone, if not face to face) are required.

Each provincial law society will have a lawyer referral service where you can talk to a couple lawyers for free (or a very low price) to see if they can help you. Further, you can ask for recommendations from other people you know.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if anyone got a good advice during such 30 min free consultation? My experience was most subscribed lawyers use the free service to get extra pay from Legal Aid or Law Society based on volume of such calls without intent to help the clients, at least during such free consultation. I can post a voice recording of such BS 30 min talk about nothing with a lawyer, who repeatedly asked many unrelated questions and slowly recorded them for his report to Legal Aid during the call, and only at the last minute, after I objected his claim that time expired, he opened his mouse to say something useful, and even that was related to paying him for service. :) Without me objecting, the entire consultation would amount to him asking, re-asking, and recording questions for his Legal Aid bill. They are indeed paid for these free consultations.
Feb 22, 2019
2 posts
I just couldn’t pass by without giving my two cents, since you’ve risen such an important issue.
It’s a common belief that Canada and USA are much alike. But this is not so. Take judicial system as an illustrative example. First, Canadian lawyers dispose of extremely limited authority. If the case is against the Crown or against major corporation - basically each and every lawyer will do nothing, they are easily manipulated and controlled by the fear to loose their license. The same goes for trying to review any government decisions. There is no “competitive” environment, as you put it, when Courts are involved. The way it typically works in any litigation against the Crown (the State, the government, whatever you want to call it) is this: counsel from the Department of Justice (aka lawyer for the defendant) prepares a decision, brings it to the judge, then judge’s secretary signs it without even reading it- and there you have your “fair and just” decision. The Registry is also following the agenda of covering up and helping the State by all means possible. In general, backroom deals are a cornerstone of the whole Canadian judicial system.
Indeed, people typically call this corruption. Thus, if you look for some real help with your legal matters in Canada look for a lawyer who knows how to financially influence the judge to make a decision in your favour. Everyone knows this, but noone’s telling you this aloud. To put it all short - good Canadian lawyer is a lawyer who is familiar with the judge and who knows how to make the judge interested financial-wise; bad Canadian lawyer is the lawyer who takes your money and does nothing afterwards. Forget Federal Courts Rules and other legislature. I don’t try to put this as an advertisement or anything, but if you’re interested you can check my youtube channel (Allie Newstorm) for some more information, among other, on Canadian Courts. My personal experience is two cases against the Crown and two immigration-related matters.
Feb 22, 2019
2 posts
I’ve tried to send you an answer couple of times, but my messages get blocked by moderators. I guess, in essence that is the answer to your question about Canadian law community.