Wheels and Tires

Best winter tires on CX5 - BLIZZAK DM-V2 vs BLIZZAK WS90 ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 8:27 pm
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
44 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Best winter tires on CX5 - BLIZZAK DM-V2 vs BLIZZAK WS90 ?

Hi ,
I am looking for winter tires for my Mazda CX5 . Costco has DM-V2 and WS90 for the same price and both have good reviews .

Can someone suggest what would be better option for me with mixed city and highway driving in Winnipeg ?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30042 posts
16052 upvotes
Toronto
conti viking contact 7
Michelin X ice snow

Out of these 2, the conti is likely to be cheaper.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1708 posts
595 upvotes
Vancouver
Dm-v2 is designed for SUV and heavier vehicles WS90 more for passenger vehicles and smaller CUVs I think the WS90 features the newer tread design. Check your vehicles tire load rating and purchase tires that meet or exceed the manufacturers stated load rating.
Sep 15, 2020
18 posts
13 upvotes
sngs0850 wrote: Hi ,
I am looking for winter tires for my Mazda CX5 . Costco has DM-V2 and WS90 for the same price and both have good reviews .

Can someone suggest what would be better option for me with mixed city and highway driving in Winnipeg ?
Hi,

based on the 2 only choices you provided, I'd recommend the WS90. The reason being the WS90 is a much newer tire (IIRC released in 2020 or 2019) whereas the DM-V2 is the SUV version of the WS80, the previous generation to the WS90. Personally I don't think a CX-5 warrants the need for an SUV tire, it is basically a tall riding car. The WS90 should offer you good grip performance in cold conditions with its extra-soft initial layer multi-cell compound, and that itself is an improved version over DM-V2's.

Hope this helps.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7005 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Get whichever is cheaper, both very good tires.

DM-V2 might have more tread depth depending on tire size.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... pe=W&VT=LT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... ype=W&VT=C
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.