Shopping Discussion

Best and worst B & M looking for an item.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2019 7:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1735 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga

Best and worst B & M looking for an item.

I will start this off.

Canadian Tire. Look for an item on line. Gives me the aisle number. Number in stock. Go to the aisle and none on the shelves. Ask a sales person working in the area. Never a good thing as they send you to all over the store, asking different sales people. Go to the Customer service, ask them to look for it. Ask me the Sku number. Tell them I do not have it. Should they not know it? The answer is can`t help you. Then go online and order it for pick up. Pick up no problem. Yes, I know the obvious answer here. Customer service does not exist.

Best Buy, ask for a small item. SD micro card. they are not interested. Ask for a big ticket item and they are all over me if I can find a sales person. Yet the tell us they do not make any commission.
BS, i suspect the store adds up how much was sold and share.
25 replies
May 28, 2012
11230 posts
3437 upvotes
Saskatoon
Princess Auto, can never find anything in that place without having to ask an associate.
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Princess Auto, can never find anything in that place without having to ask an associate.
Lol I find the shelves at princess auto remind me of shopping online with amazon
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1513 posts
965 upvotes
Vancouver
When I worked at Best Buy for a few months many years ago, there is no commission whatsoever. IIRC, the only commission is the warranty they sell for TVs (probably why they keep pushing you for it). I didn't work in the TV section so I can't confirm but this is what I was told by my former coworkers at the time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13014 upvotes
I hate brick and mortar in general.
I can never find anything, nothing is where it's actually supposed to be, associates frequently don't know where stuff is, parking sucks, etc.

Canadian Tire's system is great in theory, but sucks in practice as OP described.

Princess Auto looks like a giant storage unit. We have it, but we don't know where it is.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13517 posts
2315 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Home Depot online tells u which aisle, and then some bay number in the aisle.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5641 posts
2465 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Canadian Tire's system is great in theory, but sucks in practice as OP described.
My local Canadian Tire has about half of the store locked in metal cages, so you have to get someone to help you anyway. I had to call someone to come and unlock one so I could buy a $2.49 pack of marrettes the other day, hardly a high-value or restricted item.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
I'll say IKEA. If I need one item, they make you walk through the whole friggin store.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10699 posts
12984 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote: Home Depot online tells u which aisle, and then some bay number in the aisle.
...which is great if the item is actually where it's supposed to be. I was at HD looking for an item that online said there were more than 50 of in stock. There was no stock in the normal place in the aisle. Sales reps had no idea. Finally I found the item by SKU number way up high in the original shipping box, halfway down the aisle. Had to push over the rolling stairs to climb up there.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2278 posts
1341 upvotes
Vancouveresque
jackrabbit000 wrote: I'll say IKEA. If I need one item, they make you walk through the whole friggin store.
IKEA is actually really easy to navigate if you look at the maps and make use of the shortcuts. While it's still not as easy as your typical department or grocery store, it's not nearly as bad as if you had kept to the marked pathways.

What really annoys me about IKEA is trying to find things in the 'market hall' area. They'll tell you the vague area for a product (let's say cookware for a specific frying pan), but it takes forever to actually find the individual products once you get to the section you need.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1735 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote: Home Depot online tells u which aisle, and then some bay number in the aisle.
Try Lowes.
The one on Heartlake road and Bouvaird. Brampton. Now that I mention it, will it still happen?
I asked a sales person and they actually took me to where the item is. He stayed and helped me find exactly the bolt I wanted. Was truly amazed. Service like it used to be.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5798 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto
All B&M stores that are under 10k sqft of retail floorspace are usually good for locating items. I remember the day of shopping LeBaron...of course their model can't survive today and refused to change it....but CS and item location was top notch.

Having a store with 50k+ sqft of floorspace and a 90% casual staff that work 10-15hr weeks usually won't be much help finding anything when there are thousands of items and hundreds of category sets.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13517 posts
2315 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: ...which is great if the item is actually where it's supposed to be. I was at HD looking for an item that online said there were more than 50 of in stock. There was no stock in the normal place in the aisle. Sales reps had no idea. Finally I found the item by SKU number way up high in the original shipping box, halfway down the aisle. Had to push over the rolling stairs to climb up there.
On one occasion, I was looking for an indoor door mat at HD that was showing up online with a bunch of stock. The employee couldn't find it (gave them all the product info), and gave me the option of buying a different mat (slightly larger in size, more expensive) for the same price. I thought that was great!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2192 posts
473 upvotes
Red Deer
I might be in the minority but I consider it a great achievement when I find what I’m looking for at Super Store. There’s something off about their product placements and grouping. And God help you if you need assistance.

We now mostly do the click and collect thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1735 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
Looking for 10" micro fibre buffing cloth. Canadian Tire. Trinity Common. Brampton.
Did the usual by going online. Showed the aisle number and quantity. Go there.
No such luck. Canadian Tire. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Got lucky by meeting a sales associate. "Kajeevan Kaneshamoothy" Nice fellow. We went to where they where supposed to be. Good start. None there. Then said follow me. Went to his counter. looked them up.
Went away for a few minutes and low and behold there they where. For a simple item $10. He showed what customer service should be. Thank you.

Moral of the story. Proves nothing looking on line. Spoke, landline, also to the Queen Street Canadian tire. Said none in stock, yet, I could have placed an order for pick up.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16693 posts
6938 upvotes
Personally I have had nothing but good experience at CT. I was even looking for a box of nails and the associate pulled it up and knew right where it was on the shelf based on what he scanning device told him (it was on a told shelf as overflow stock so not where it was supposed to be). They have some items in the middle section with the promo stuff, so I'm sure that adds a level of complexity that the computer cannot account for.

I love shopping at store that tell where the item will be. Home Depot is a great example - they even tell you what bay the item is in. I know the information is already stored in their systems so it's great when I can walk into the store and just reference that rather than bother someone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1735 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
TrevorK wrote: Personally I have had nothing but good experience at CT. I was even looking for a box of nails and the associate pulled it up and knew right where it was on the shelf based on what he scanning device told him (it was on a told shelf as overflow stock so not where it was supposed to be). They have some items in the middle section with the promo stuff, so I'm sure that adds a level of complexity that the computer cannot account for.

I love shopping at store that tell where the item will be. Home Depot is a great example - they even tell you what bay the item is in. I know the information is already stored in their systems so it's great when I can walk into the store and just reference that rather than bother someone.
Great information. Appreciate it. However, I have yet to see anybody either go to a scanning machine or a desk computer. Which tell s me they can not be bothered.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16693 posts
6938 upvotes
redpattison wrote: Great information. Appreciate it. However, I have yet to see anybody either go to a scanning machine or a desk computer. Which tell s me they can not be bothered.
Perhaps out west their customer service is different. Unlike others, I have also never witnessed people have a problem with returns. I have seen people return Mastercraft items that are so old the packaging uses the wrong colour scheme, and there was no hassle (they only got the last price for it of course). Canadian Tire does a solid job with customer service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1735 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
Lots of great posts here. Thanks.
I like going to Canadian Tire just for the laughs. I do actually buy stuff there.

Yesterday was my biggest laugh. Really goes to show the sales people don`t have a clue. Looking for emery cloth. The funniest was the 3rd person I asked. the other two said let me get somebody for you.
"Please tell me where the emery cloth is" Yes Sir, have you looked in the Healthcare Dept?" What am I going to do? Wipe my rear end with emery cloth? " Of "course" not. 800, is that good enough.