Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] [BestBuy.ca] [Amazon.ca] Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone Service $80 + $5/$10 per month. Save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 2:21 pm
Nov 12, 2017
292 posts
359 upvotes
Cambridge
DarkVelvet55 wrote: Thats a bit misleading as all of these providers offering home phone require you to be a current sub to get it cheap enough to make it worth it. And then there's the $40-70 device fee for some. Which is only waived on a contract.

I was with koodo for their promo $5 price but after it went up to $20 I figured FPL is just worth the investment for no fee per month after.
Ok fair. I'd say most people have a cell now-a-days. For anyone that doesn't, they at least know someone and could piggy back on their account to get the wireless home phone.

For the price, ease, and reliability, for anyone that wants to actually pay money for a VOIP or landline, I'd recommend a Wireless Home Phone,
For anyone anyone looking to virtually eliminate monthly fees and have VOIP/landline, yup, there are plenty of more complicated options.
Jun 8, 2010
341 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I like my OOMA but i find the delay reallly annoying. Not sure if you can do anything about this?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5319 posts
8373 upvotes
Montreal
leolo wrote: I like my OOMA but i find the delay reallly annoying. Not sure if you can do anything about this?
That's not normal, for sure.
There shouldn't be any noticeable delay whatsoever.
Jun 1, 2017
410 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga
leolo wrote: I like my OOMA but i find the delay reallly annoying. Not sure if you can do anything about this?
Make sure its hardwired and not running wirelessly. Also look at changing out the phone too
Jan 1, 2009
769 posts
389 upvotes
Temporel wrote: I personally use VoIP.ms + an ATA but Ooma is easier to set-up; kind of just plug and play.

There's a learning curve with VoIP.ms + ATA.
Whats an ATA?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5319 posts
8373 upvotes
Montreal
Nauth wrote: Whats an ATA?
Analog Telephone Adapter.
That's the box between your Internet connection and your phones.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1806 posts
1330 upvotes
GTA West
That delay is called latency and can happen with any internet phone service. It occurs when your internet connection with their server is remote or congested or is of poor quality and the data packets that carry your speech are buffered and delayed in the network. That is why some people often have problems with Ooma (while others rarely do).

One reason I use VOIP.MS is because they have servers in both Eastern and Western Canada (and some elsewhere in the world), so you can connect to one that is close. That minimizes the number of times you will experience noticeable latency. I don't think you have those options with Ooma or Magic Jack. Keep in mind that you can often solve a latency problem by hanging up and re-dialling the number. That may establish a better route.

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Choosing_Server

The downside is that configuring VOIP.MS is not a job for your grandma who is used to having a Bell landline. I did set it up for a couple of senior relatives and the service has been solid. One of them does experience annoying latency once in a while, but he does not want to go back to Bell now and start paying $75 again.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Oct 14th, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 1, 2009
769 posts
389 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Analog Telephone Adapter.
That's the box between your Internet connection and your phones.
Thank you
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1536 posts
915 upvotes
NOYB
Price back to $99.99

Still $10 cheaper than the sales price back in August

amazon-ca-ooma-telo-home-phone-service- ... 2395571/6/
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*

Dogshit will be dogshit on rfd

What would happen to a house where you only dump some of the trash but let the rest continue to build up?
You know what I'm insinuating.
Bye
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1398 posts
468 upvotes
Winnipeg
I am with Vonage for a very long time, say approx. 10 years... Only i am keeping the service is to have unlimited calls to India as my parents they use it alot and i pay with taxes around 20$...i have thought so many times to get an ATA and use VOIP.ms service.. based on the home phone usage, when I had a chat with them, appeared to be i was hitting 35$ mark for international calls, so i bailed on it... last week i have seen Grandstream ATA was on sale, now OOMA...based on the calculation, here is what i think, u should consider...

OOMA--> Unlimited calls Incoming and outgoing, Pay only taxes
FONGO-->5$ per month for only canadian calls
VOIP.MS-->4.95$ per month for DID+ taxes, Incoming calls are free, Outgoing calls cost 0.005cents per minute (Get only if you aren't using the landline at all, however wants to keep it for incoming calls)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1247 posts
622 upvotes
shampygarg wrote:
OOMA--> Unlimited calls Incoming and outgoing, Pay only taxes
FONGO-->5$ per month for only canadian calls
VOIP.MS-->4.95$ per month for DID+ taxes, Incoming calls are free, Outgoing calls cost 0.005cents per minute (Get only if you aren't using the landline at all, however wants to keep it for incoming calls)
voip.ms has a "per-minute" plan that is cheaper if you don't receive a lot of calls. its just the DID cost per month (so lets say $0.85 in most / all cases), incoming calls @ $0.009 / minute and outgoing calls at $0.005 / minute)

Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3715 posts
1534 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Back to $99.99

This was discussed in the previous Ooma deal thread. As someone posted earlier, I had also gone for the Security Kit option at Best Buy. It was the same $99.99 price but included 4 security sensors. Have been trying it out for a couple of months - so far, so good. Occasional glitch with the security app but not that bad. Phone works fine (fee + taxes of $5.96 per month for basic service, other features available for additional costs).

Couldn't figure out why the Security Kit was/is priced the same as the basic phone kit? AFAIK, only obvious difference is that it's white vs black unit, and that you need to contact them to activate the home phone service. It made sense in my case to get the extra sensors for the same price.

At the time, the regular price for the Security Kit was about $170. Now it looks like $99.99 is the regular price:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oo ... t/13992166
I can't afford to save that much!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5319 posts
8373 upvotes
Montreal
About delays.
Ooma has at least 2 servers: one in the East and one in the West.
Contact customer support and ask to switch server.
Google Ooma servers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7365 posts
5387 upvotes
Kitchener
I've been using Freephoneline for about 5 years now with a $50 OBi ATA adapter and a 1 time $99 VOIP Key Unlock fee. No additional fees to pay ever. IIRC, the VOIP unlock key used to be $75 when I signed up. Phone number transfer is an additional $25.

https://www.freephoneline.ca/optionalServices#
Dec 31, 2016
427 posts
300 upvotes
Mississauga, ON, CA
Borntoheal wrote: Is Ooma better than magicjack which is 53$ right now and includes 12 months of service? I am looking for home phone service and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07S1HKJY6/ref ... HFbT6103F7
how about directly from MagicJack?
https://www.magicjack.com/magicJackHOME.html
I definitely don’t need one, so I’ll do the right thing and pick one up on my way home. 😎

**Just pick one and don't loot** 😠
Aug 17, 2009
258 posts
124 upvotes
Victoria
There are lots of Ooma Telo devices available used for $30 - $50.
Images
  • ooma -3-Facebook.jpg