Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] [BestBuy.ca] [Amazon.ca] Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone Service $80 + $5/$10 per month. Save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 2:21 pm
Jan 13, 2009
813 posts
344 upvotes
godbapu wrote: and i thought whatsapp killed voip
1. WhatsApp is annoying as hell, try Telegram, it is better in every way, hope adoption goes up in Canada
2. Unfortunately PSTN is still going strong. The whole recent obsession with SMS OTP is pure madness. Main reason -- there is no good open VoIP protocol. SIP and AJAX both suck and so do the codecs that they support.
Jan 13, 2009
813 posts
344 upvotes
Temporel wrote: As in...
As in compared to VoIP.ms, freephoneline and many other honest VoIP providers
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1832 posts
1266 upvotes
FreePhoneLine and Grandstream ATA here for home phone for about 9 years, works perfectly. No monthly fees.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5163 posts
8046 upvotes
Montreal
elfion wrote: As in compared to VoIP.ms, freephoneline and many other honest VoIP providers
You pay more for Ooma for the convenience of Plug and Play.
Jan 13, 2009
813 posts
344 upvotes
Temporel wrote: You pay more for Ooma for the convenience of Plug and Play.
I see. So to buy an ATA adapter and to enter three settings 1) server, 2) login and 3) password is a major inconvenience? And you are telling me this Ooma doesn't need login and password?) I am guessing it does. So basically you are paying all that money so that you don't need to enter 20 extra characters?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1832 posts
1266 upvotes
Some of these more mainstream VoIP services that sell their own hardware come with the devices pre-configured so yes it is convenient.
Jan 13, 2009
813 posts
344 upvotes
shayne85 wrote: Some of these more mainstream VoIP services that sell their own hardware come with the devices pre-configured so yes it is convenient.
So you don't need to enter login and password? How does that work?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 10, 2011
5163 posts
8046 upvotes
Montreal
elfion wrote: So you don't need to enter login and password? How does that work?
Oh, Stop it!
I'm with VoIP.ms + Linksys PAP2T ATA and it's more complex than Ooma that comes pre-configured.
Don't be like Mr. Smarty Pants up-thread who said he settled everything in 15 minutes; that's BS.
Just figuring out the VoIP.ms Web Site will take more time than that.

I'm not saying that other VoIP providers are very complicated but not everyone who starts from scratch, has never programed anything, doesn't know what a DID is, is willing to invest the time it takes to do the research about it. That's where a service like Ooma comes handy. Yes, you pay a little more but it's preferable than continuing to pay hundreds of dollar per year for nothing to Bell, Telus or Rogers.

There are plenty of people who pay more for convenience for many things.

What's important is to MAKE THE MOVE.
Or else, ten years from now, you will STILL be with Bell, Telus or Rogers and have paid THOUSANDS of $$$ for nothing!
Jan 13, 2009
813 posts
344 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Oh, Stop it!
I'm with VoIP.ms + Linksys PAP2T ATA and it's more complex than Ooma that comes pre-configured.
Don't be like Mr. Smarty Pants up-thread who said he settled everything in 15 minutes; that's BS.
Just figuring out the VoIP.ms Web Site will take more time than that.

I'm not saying that other VoIP providers are very complicated but not everyone who starts from scratch, has never programed anything, doesn't know what a DID is, is willing to invest the time it takes to do the research about it. That's where a service like Ooma comes handy. Yes, you pay a little more but it's preferable than continuing to pay hundreds of dollar per year for nothing to Bell, Telus or Rogers.

There are plenty of people who pay more for convenience for many things.

What's important is to MAKE THE MOVE.
Or else, ten years from now, you will STILL be with Bell, Telus or Rogers and have paid THOUSANDS of $$$ for nothing!
Like I said before, there are only three parameters you need to enter into an ATA device for it to work. To set up an account on the VoIP.ms website you need to figure it out a bit, yes, but if you don't need the advanced features that it offers there are other VoIP providers out there. And I don't expect that RFD has a lot of users that can't spend just a little bit of brain power to set up voip.ms account. It is not like setting up a pbx from scratch, this is something a 6th grader can do in half hour.
Dec 18, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
Calgary, AB
can i just buy a used Ooma and start using it? Found some for $35 on kijiji. are there more activation fee?
Jun 24, 2016
474 posts
469 upvotes
stizarch wrote: Wouldn't it just be better to get Wireless Home phone from Zoomer (or Fido) for $10 a month plus a free device? That's a real wireless line that isn't using your internet
Works well until you need to call 911 because you're choking to death on some chicken bones.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3604 posts
1877 upvotes
Halifax
vinyvinychow wrote: can i just buy a used Ooma and start using it? Found some for $35 on kijiji. are there more activation fee?
I believe you need to pay OOMA a fee to reactivate it, around the $30 to $40 range. From what I can tell, that can be negotiable. I found my OOMA at a thrift store for $5, but I have no use for the service. Magic jack is still better than OOMA price wise. I never have to deal with customer service anymore. Service just works. From my experience, that is what I get from all the established VOIP providers now. Some providers had a poor history, but that is history.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1188 posts
2453 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
elfion wrote: I see. So to buy an ATA adapter and to enter three settings 1) server, 2) login and 3) password is a major inconvenience? And you are telling me this Ooma doesn't need login and password?) I am guessing it does. So basically you are paying all that money so that you don't need to enter 20 extra characters?
Man, let him have his day already.

Just because you found cheaper ATA adaptors useful and they're easy for you to configure, doesn't mean everyone else has to adopt your solution. Not everyone has to like and use what you like - even 6th graders know that these days!

There's a market for every single product - period. Just, let it go dude!
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Dec 17, 2009
182 posts
41 upvotes
bridonca wrote: I believe you need to pay OOMA a fee to reactivate it, around the $30 to $40 range. From what I can tell, that can be negotiable. I found my OOMA at a thrift store for $5, but I have no use for the service. Magic jack is still better than OOMA price wise. I never have to deal with customer service anymore. Service just works. From my experience, that is what I get from all the established VOIP providers now. Some providers had a poor history, but that is history.
Hi, I was looking at the magicjack website and it looks very easy to setup...49$ and first 12 month free then 39$ yearly to renew...do you know how much it cost to port home phone number...currently with virgin home phone and paying 20$ a month...was looking into ooma but magicjack might tempt me even more....my mom has ooma and calls are very clear how is magicjack calls?

thanks