Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] [BestBuy.ca] [Amazon.ca] Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone Service $80 + $5/$10 per month. Save hundreds of $$$ each year

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 2:21 pm
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2009
939 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
How easy is it to port my number from Vonage to Ooma? Usually porting numbers is painless but I read somewhere that it’s almost impossible to port out of Vonage ... any first hand experience?
Newbie
Jul 31, 2013
45 posts
23 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote: How easy is it to port my number from Vonage to Ooma? Usually porting numbers is painless but I read somewhere that it’s almost impossible to port out of Vonage ... any first hand experience?
I did exactly this a couple years ago (porting from Vonage to Ooma), and it wasn't too bad. I had to pay a fee to Ooma of like $20-$30 I think.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2698 posts
2219 upvotes
Toronto
TheFrostOne wrote: I did exactly this a couple years ago (porting from Vonage to Ooma), and it wasn't too bad. I had to pay a fee to Ooma of like $20-$30 I think.
Now its $39.99

"Transferring your phone number can take several weeks to complete and requires a one-time charge of $39.99 (which is waived if you subscribe to one year of Ooma Premier)."

https://support.ooma.com/home/porting-y ... r-to-ooma/
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14414 posts
3456 upvotes
Why not Freephoneline? I stop paying $ since 5 or 6 years ago
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jr. Member
Nov 8, 2011
152 posts
34 upvotes
How you use it with physical handset?
kiasu wrote: Why not Freephoneline? I stop paying $ since 5 or 6 years ago
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5142 posts
7949 upvotes
Montreal
janitej wrote: How you use it with physical handset?
You plug your telephone base (handset) into the Ooma adapter instead of plugging in a wall socket.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5142 posts
7949 upvotes
Montreal
kiasu wrote: Why not Freephoneline? I stop paying $ since 5 or 6 years ago
It's been discussed before.
Ooma is plug and play; no programing.
It's the easiest way to get into VoIP phone service.
It's geared towards people who aren't tech savvy.
As you can gage by the previous question, not everybody starts from the same point.
Ooma can be a stepping stone towards even more savings with other providers like Freephoneline.ca, VoIP.ms, Fongo, etc.
What matters is that people make the first move and stop paying $50 per month for phone service.
Or else, they will keep over-paying Bhell, Robbers and Telus until they die!
Jr. Member
Nov 8, 2011
152 posts
34 upvotes
Temporel wrote: You plug your telephone base (handset) into the Ooma adapter instead of plugging in a wall socket.
I was more asking if we do not buy ooma and just get number from freephoneline how can we use it with handset! we still have to buy VOIP device.
ooma phone service is free anyway (basic)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
5142 posts
7949 upvotes
Montreal
janitej wrote: I was more asking if we do not buy ooma and just get number from freephoneline how can we use it with handset! we still have to buy VOIP device.
ooma phone service is free anyway (basic)
If you want to use a handset, you have to plug it into an adapter.
It's called an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter).
It can be from Ooma or you can buy your own.
But you will need one if you want to use a handset.
Then you need a service like from Ooma, VoIP.ms or Freephoneline.ca
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2009
939 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: Now its $39.99

"Transferring your phone number can take several weeks to complete and requires a one-time charge of $39.99 (which is waived if you subscribe to one year of Ooma Premier)."

https://support.ooma.com/home/porting-y ... r-to-ooma/
Thanks so much! I assume there’s no issue downgrading from Ooma Premier to free after one year ?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2698 posts
2219 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote: Thanks so much! I assume there’s no issue downgrading from Ooma Premier to free after one year ?
There should not be any issues. I am not a Ooma user, I use voip.ms
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2006
3625 posts
3233 upvotes
Muskoka
Dhanushan wrote: There should not be any issues. I am not a Ooma user, I use voip.ms
I looked at voip.ms

If you do a lot of talking in a month, then simply from a dollars/cents point of view OOMA is cheaper. I think I calculated the break even at about 500mins per month. I am on conference calls a number of times/day, so I normally go over 500mins. But if all you want is a home line for backup or convenience that rarely gets used, voip.ms is a good choice. Also voip.ms I still think has free number port in.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
14414 posts
3456 upvotes
janitej wrote: How you use it with physical handset?
Easy..just get the ATA like Obihai or SP2102

Never look back.
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
9545 posts
2820 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
spots01 wrote: VOIP device. Pay only taxes - approx $5/month in Ontario for unlimited calling across Cda. Or upgrade to Premier for another $10 month to call US, get a 2nd number and enhanced features like voicemail to email.
Is the bolded portion correct? Or is it reversed?

I looked at the Ooma Canada website.

https://www.ooma.ca/home-phone-service/basic/

It compares the free and Premier plan.

It says there is no-charge calling to US numbers on the free plan.

It says there is no-charge calling to Canadian numbers only in the Premier plan at C$9.99/month, plus taxes/fees.

Which is it for no-charge calls within Canada? The free plan or the C$9.99/month plan?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2006
3625 posts
3233 upvotes
Muskoka
MexiCanuck wrote: Is the bolded portion correct? Or is it reversed?

I looked at the Ooma Canada website.

https://www.ooma.ca/home-phone-service/basic/

It compares the free and Premier plan.

It says there is no-charge calling to US numbers on the free plan.

It says there is no-charge calling to Canadian numbers only in the Premier plan at C$9.99/month, plus taxes/fees.

Which is it for no-charge calls within Canada? The free plan or the C$9.99/month plan?
The website is talking to USA population. In Canada the service is for Cdns.
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
9545 posts
2820 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
spots01 wrote: The website is talking to USA population. In Canada the service is for Cdns.
It’s not very confidence inspiring that the Ooma Canadian website would be talking to USA population. Disappointed Face
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2698 posts
2219 upvotes
Toronto
spots01 wrote: I looked at voip.ms

If you do a lot of talking in a month, then simply from a dollars/cents point of view OOMA is cheaper. I think I calculated the break even at about 500mins per month. I am on conference calls a number of times/day, so I normally go over 500mins. But if all you want is a home line for backup or convenience that rarely gets used, voip.ms is a good choice. Also voip.ms I still think has free number port in.
Yes they have free number port in
https://voip.ms/en/free-porting

My parents use it as a backup and want to keep the number they had for 30+ years.

They use cellphone with unlimited Canada wide calling and also have Zoiper app to make and receive calls on that number.

Only minor issue is that they only accept USD funds

Top