Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] [BestBuy.ca] [Amazon.ca] Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone Service $80 + $5/$10 per month. Save hundreds of $$$ each year

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 2:21 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2007 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: It's been discussed before.
Ooma is plug and play; no programing.
It's the easiest way to get into VoIP phone service.
It's geared towards people who aren't tech savvy.
As you can gage by the previous question, not everybody starts from the same point.
Ooma can be a stepping stone towards even more savings with other providers like Freephoneline.ca, VoIP.ms, Fongo, etc.
What matters is that people make the first move and stop paying $50 per month for phone service.
Or else, they will keep over-paying Bhell, Robbers and Telus until they die!
Fongo Home Phone is very similar but a bit cheaper.
With Ooma you pay device cost (~$99) plus monthly fees of ~$6.
Fongo device is ~$40 plus monthly fees of ~$5.
Both are plug and play.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3625 posts
3233 upvotes
Muskoka
Ooma.ca is selling the OOMA Telo and HD3 handset combo for $99

https://www.ooma.ca/home-phone-service/

They are selling it as $99 for the Telo and then get a free HD3 handset

Also, Costco has announced they will sell the basic Telo for $79.99 Dec 26-29 for those who may want to wait. no link, it was in their most recent magazine.
Public Mobile
Mar 25, 2009
938 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
spots01 wrote: Ooma.ca is selling the OOMA Telo and HD3 handset combo for $99

https://www.ooma.ca/home-phone-service/

They are selling it as $99 for the Telo and then get a free HD3 handset

Also, Costco has announced they will sell the basic Telo for $79.99 Dec 26-29 for those who may want to wait. no link, it was in their most recent magazine.
is the HD3 worth the extra $20? I’m reading mixed reviews online about the reliability of this handset. Does anyone own this and can provide feedback?
Feb 1, 2013
141 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa
FreePhoneLine and an Ata (OBI) adapter. Paid about $100 buck for the sip configuration info and ata box. There are actually times I forgot I had a home phone.

All that was required was an internet connection.

But even then, I set the call forwarding (Simultaneous) up, and both my cell and home phone rings at the same time. Just wish I can get rid of the answer machine. The answer machine acts as a fax machine to that makes a pdf.
Best $100 buck spent and no monthly fees.

Even tho I had to bring the internet.

OBi is now know as Polycom

Fongo Home Phone charges a monthly essential services fee to cover the costs associated with providing 911 service and network access fees.

We charge an essential services fee deposit at registration to provide you with a one month buffer should your payment information on file expire before you are able to update it.
Screenshot_20201126-142116_Chrome.jpg
Apr 2, 2019
54 posts
45 upvotes
get a ata for only 30$ plus voip.ms easy setup only 0.8 per month same stuff.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1088 posts
44 upvotes
joo wrote: Yes the Fongo 4.95/ month plan includes E911
Their servers are also in Ontario so less chance of problems vs. getting to Ooma’s US based servers.

Overall I think Fongo is a better deal, and their device is only $40 ($30+$10 shipping).
It’s the grandstream ht-801 which can be unlocked in case you decide to go with another voip provider.
The Ooma however is locked and can used only with Ooma.
Does the Ht-801 come unlocked, or do you have to request it unlocked?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1088 posts
44 upvotes
joo wrote: Fongo Home Phone is very similar but a bit cheaper.
With Ooma you pay device cost (~$99) plus monthly fees of ~$6.
Fongo device is ~$40 plus monthly fees of ~$5.
Both are plug and play.
how is the call quality between Fongo and ooma? And is there any outages with Fongo?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2007 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
The HT-801 is locked so you have to request it to be unlocked.
I believe you can also disconnect from the internet, factory reset it, login with the default id/pw and remove the auto config URL.

I haven't been with Fongo for too long so can't speak to outages but when I looked at reviews there didn't seem to be any.
Voice quality is on par with any VOIP. It's the same as my Bell Home phone (on traditional twisted pair copper).
As you probably know, VOIP quality is dependent on the quality of your internet connection.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1243 posts
674 upvotes
Waterloo
Was an Ooma user for years and had no issues with it, but I moved over to Fongo in 2018 and haven’t looked back. It’s cheaper and just as stable - never had any downtime.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
1255 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
Just remember when the internet is down, the phone is out. Unless you are running a UPS. So need to factor in the cost of the UPS to keep everything up.
While the land line phone is still working during a power outage.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5139 posts
7948 upvotes
Montreal
ZIgot wrote: Just remember when the internet is down, the phone is out. Unless you are running a UPS. So need to factor in the cost of the UPS to keep everything up.
Only if you have a phone that doesn't require electricity. Most people have a cell phone anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4218 posts
1661 upvotes
Parry Sound
ZIgot wrote: Just remember when the internet is down, the phone is out. Unless you are running a UPS. So need to factor in the cost of the UPS to keep everything up.
It doesn't matter for those who use Ooma for the international calling. Calls will ring the Ooma app (though that may be exclusive to the Premier package)
Temporel wrote: Only if you have a phone that doesn't require electricity. Most people have a cell phone anyway.
The elderly typically have home phones for emergencies and what not. Many don't have cell phones.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Nov 23, 2008
191 posts
106 upvotes
My parents have VoIP with Distributel and paying about $10 a month, they also have internet with them. It seems like Ooma is not much cheaper considering we will need to pay for porting and buy new hardware. My mom is also afraid of losing our 25+ year old home phone number.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5139 posts
7948 upvotes
Montreal
shortye wrote: My parents have VoIP with Distributel and paying about $10 a month, they also have internet with them. It seems like Ooma is not much cheaper considering we will need to pay for porting and buy new hardware. My mom is also afraid of losing our 25+ year old home phone number.
How much are they paying for Internet?
Nov 23, 2008
191 posts
106 upvotes
Temporel wrote: How much are they paying for Internet?
Too much! That's why I keep trying to move them out of Distributel but my mom doesn't want to because she doesn't want to lose her number or go somewhere else that might end up being more expensive after a year or two.