bestbuy.ca cannot change password??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 12:09 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
497 posts
128 upvotes

bestbuy.ca cannot change password??

I did not forget my password. I just want to login and change my password.
BUT after I login, I cannot find any where to let me change the password.
[external advertising link removed]
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1278 posts
936 upvotes
Montreal
Agree. Best Buy system sucks. Can't even change my email address...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1278 posts
936 upvotes
Montreal
mouseswimming wrote: I did NOT forget my password! I just want to login and change my password.
You have to go through "lost your password" to change it. That's how you do it.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
497 posts
128 upvotes
elpaso wrote: You have to go through "lost your password" to change it. That's how you do it.
I see. so weird. I did not forget password, but have to pretend I forget it.
[external advertising link removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1666 posts
325 upvotes
BC
mouseswimming wrote: I see. so weird. I did not forget password, but have to pretend I forget it.
What's your problem? There's no penalty involved. It saves having two links.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7032 posts
3388 upvotes
Montreal
insync44 wrote: What's your problem? There's no penalty involved. It saves having two links.
I am not the op but found this thread because I "googled it" to find how to change bestbuy.ca password.

It's bad design, it should be easy to change password without looking for a "lost password" link.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5882 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
I thought my password had been hacked a couple of years ago. I changed my password at all the sites I visit. When i got to Best Buy, I couldn't do it. I ended up calling in. At that time, they told me that that function wasn't working probably and they could suspend my account if I agreed. I told them to go ahead.

Well, that caused a can of worms as they could not unsuspend my account for the longest time. Eventually, they were able to do it but I could not get a password into their system.

Ultimately, my history was old, no longer relevant, and their loyalty points system was retired so I opened another account with a different email address. It was the only way I could get a working account there.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4575 upvotes
Alberta
elpaso wrote: Agree. Best Buy system sucks. Can't even change my email address...
I just switched from Shaw to Telus, how stupid is this. The only way to change your email address is to make a new account.
Sep 21, 2018
2 posts
4 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just switched from Shaw to Telus, how stupid is this. The only way to change your email address is to make a new account.
As of 2021/01/17 it looks like BestBuy.ca does have an "edit" link beside the email address under "Your Account" -> "Personal Details", but as has been noted, it does not seem to have a password change method beyond the "forgot password" process.

I came across this thread after going to BestBuy.ca looking to add 2-Factor Authentication to my BestBuy.ca account since I recently started trying to set up TOTP/otpauth (supported by Google Authenticator, LastPass, Microsoft Authenticator, KeePassXC, among others) for places that support it. https://twofactorauth.org/ claims that BestBuy does support 2FA software tokens, but I guess that is only the bestbuy.com site.
Dec 5, 2005
904 posts
551 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
Wow thanks.I have tried in the past to update my email address but couldn't even when talking to them. Finally Best Buy has seen the light.Funny how a company that sells all the technology has so little of their own.