Shopping Discussion

BestBuy.ca doesn't block PO Boxes when Purolator/FedEx/etc are picked as the delivery company

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 2:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7373 posts
8056 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

BestBuy.ca doesn't block PO Boxes when Purolator/FedEx/etc are picked as the delivery company

This is more a PSA that if you place an order you actually need to pay attention to what delivery company it tells you your package is going to go with on the last page, but holy hell this is annoying and I can't believe a company this big has this as an issue.

(I've already passed it on to them as an issue and gotten a response acknowledging it so hopefully they DO fix it finally).

Anyways at no point in the order process does it stop the order if you have a PO Box listed as your Shipping Address (I always use my FlexDelivery address) and they choose to ship it with anything that's not Canada Post. And when I say "at no point" I truly mean it - they will still package it, ship it, and charge you, and then when it gets returned as undeliverable will take however many days to refund you.

I currently have two packages (from one order) out with Purolator like this, and the customer service rep I spoke to at Purolator said they can't change the delivery address to my house or even hold it for pickup because I don't have any photo ID that has the PO Box address on it lmao. So both packages have to go back to Best Buy.

And before anyone says "Well doesn't it ask you how you want it shipped?" the answer is "No". If you have a default shipping address set it completely skips the step where it asks you shipping details so the company its going with only shows up here, on the last page:

So if you don't look there (like me, ever) you won't ever know.
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7373 posts
8056 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Kiraly wrote: Doesn't Best Buy offer ship-to-store? Unless you live far away from a Best Buy location it seems like this would eliminate that problem.
Still can't do it through the website. Your only options online are ship-to-home (or PO Box) or pickup in-store for stock that's already in the store. Ship-to-store can still only be done by having an associate in the store create an order, and of course it's a total pain in the ass having to go there twice.

I don't even know how their system determines who they ship it with when it comes to products that aren't locked to a specific carrier (Ex. all laptops go FedEx because of the battery). 99%+ of the time it's Canada Post which is why I never check, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that at no point in time did my order ever get stopped or flagged, possibly for verification by an actual person. I mean I used to work for a retailer that had nowhere near the presence/size that Best Buy does in Canada and even they had it set up to do that!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3765 posts
2444 upvotes
London
ya i been having this issue with bb to i send all my bb orders to flex delivery. before covid there was rarely an issues other then the last time Canada post were doing strikes they switched to purolator for a couple weeks witch screwed things up. since covid started though bb switched from using canada post exclusively to random shipping carries based on the item and even though there faq thing says yes we ship to a p.o box via canada post there system is to stupid to detect when a p.o box is input and force the shipment to go canada post.

another jerk move by bb is they put restrictions on the shipment that won't let u call the shipping company and update the shipping address to some place else only they can call but if call there c/s the refuse to make the call. luckily the last couple times it happened to me when the package got to the local purolator depot the manger over there just called me and asked for my home address and had someone deliver it the next day but tech they weren't suppose to do that.

i've reported the issue to bb twice and so far they have done nothing about it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7373 posts
8056 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah that's what Purolator told me as well, that they couldn't change the address on the order because of a restriction Best Buy placed on it.

Also the items in my order shipped separately, so after the first one shipped I called Best Buy CS and the guy I talked to couldn't change anything in my order, and couldn't even cancel it because it was already "processing" lol (and I couldn't cancel it on my end either so he had no reason to lie).

Also interesting - Surviving Mars is one of the things I actually ordered (as a filler) in my order that went Purolator - screenshot I took this morning has FedEx...so unless the other item I ordered made the whole original order Purolator (and I have no idea why it would), it's not even consistent on the same items?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)