Shopping Discussion

Bestbuy Certified Open Box for smartphones. Can they be trusted?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 11:17 pm
[OP]
Aug 28, 2017
27 posts
6 upvotes

Bestbuy Certified Open Box for smartphones. Can they be trusted?

Has anyone here bought a certified open box smartphone from Bestbuy? Or know someone who had? Just wondering if it's worth it. Been seeing some great deals lately. I guess it wouldn't be as different vs getting something from craigslist.
Last edited by Ketchie on Aug 4th, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Jul 30, 2016
13 posts
12 upvotes
I purchased a Samsung Note 10+ from the last bestbuy sale. Geeksquad certified open box - It was pretty much brand new. Only had 1 charge cycle and original software update on it.

I would take a gamble again next time from this past experience considering the price difference.
Nov 27, 2016
60 posts
75 upvotes
Ontario
A couple years ago I bought a 15" Macbook pro that retailed at $2700 for $1200. It was my first time buying certified open box and I went through with the purchase because of the 30 day return policy. I was worried that I'd either get a laptop in terrible condition or it was a price error and my order would get cancelled. Well it showed up in its original box, 11 months apple warranty remaining, with 20 cycles on it and I couldn't find a single scratch or blemish anywhere.

My experience was a positive one, and so long as the return policy hasn't changed you don't have much to lose.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12432 posts
1928 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Ketchie wrote: I guess it wouldn't be as different vs getting something from craigslist.
If you have any kind of return option, that is better than Craigslist right there. With Craigslist, I go in assuming that as soon as I hand over the money, I'm not getting it back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8100 posts
3592 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote: If you have any kind of return option, that is better than Craigslist right there. With Craigslist, I go in assuming that as soon as I hand over the money, I'm not getting it back.
Totally

At least you don't need worry seller is trying to scam you and you will never meet them again. Especially for high value stuff
[OP]
Aug 28, 2017
27 posts
6 upvotes
smartie wrote: Totally

At least you don't need worry seller is trying to scam you and you will never meet them again. Especially for high value stuff
No doubt. A piece of mind.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15958 posts
3448 upvotes
Toronto
I trust Best Buy. If they're honouring the exact same return policy as the regular phones, I say go for the open box deal!

Actually, to be more accurate, I trust the actual Best Buy stores. I will NOT buy a phone from Best Buy marketplace: bestbuy-marketplace-never-again-2317859/
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!