• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2022 2:08 am
[OP]
Jun 19, 2019
48 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

BestBuy employee didn't let me make purchase if I didn't buy warranty plan

Has anyone had experiences with Best Buy employees being aggressive with the warranty plans?

I usually say no, I don't want it, and they continue the transaction. Still, today at a west GTA Best Buy, the employee didn't want to let me proceed with the sale if I didn't say yes; eventually, I just walked out and went to another retailer. I am curious if this is just a one-off or if Best Buy, in general, is trying to get their employees to be pushier.

Today I told them I want the product behind the locked case; before he goes to get the key, he's explaining how Best Buy supports this product for three years, etc. I asked whether you need a warranty plan for that. He's like a no-no since the product is costly; we cover it for three years; I was like, ok...

He gets the key, unlocks the case, and takes me to checkout, where he automatically adds the warranty plan and asks me to sign the pin pad; I said, why am I signing for a warranty plan? I don't want it. He's like, why not? It's only 50 bucks (I think 50). I said I didn't want it; he insisted for over 10 minutes with me saying no.

Eventually, he took on a new script, saying it extended my return policy for three years. I could come in any time within three years and go to checkout with the receipt and the product, and I say I changed my mind and they would issue me a full refund on the spot to my card (including the plan); I told him no way it works like that, and that he was lying to me. He insisted it was the truth, and I tried to tell him I'm not stupid to believe that, and if that were the case, then the company would go bankrupt since everyone would buy the plan and come in on year three minus one day and return the product for a full refund to their card. He kept insisting when I said no, saying, "why would you not pay 50 bucks to be able to get all your money back plus the 50 bucks in three years? All you have to do is just come back and say I changed my mind".

This went on for over 20 minutes (not an exaggeration), and I eventually got tired of being lied to and the fact he wasn't accepting no, so I said never mind, I no longer want the product and just left for another store.

Best Buy usually always just accepted no, so not sure if this is a one-off or Best Buy is becoming pushier with the plans. Has anyone had similar experiences or any suggestions on what you would have done in this case?
49 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19855 posts
8172 upvotes
Toronto
One off for sure. Bestbuy employees don't make commission on warranties I believe.
May 7, 2015
576 posts
858 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Weird. You should have asked for his manager and embarrassed him
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1269 posts
895 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote: One off for sure. Bestbuy employees don't make commission on warranties I believe.
and cops don't have quotas
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13844 posts
3007 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Please tell me you're joking. If I have to say "no" a third time, I'm leaving the store. I don't get paid to listen to that crap.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1150 posts
726 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Why wouldn't you have had them call the store manager over?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2613 posts
2917 upvotes
Man, you really have some jesus level patience.
20min? serious?
after 5 min, I would have walked out and let manager know why before exiting the store.
Last edited by Dreamrider on Jan 17th, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11901 posts
2865 upvotes
Durham Region
maldahleh wrote: Has anyone had experiences with Best Buy employees being aggressive with the warranty plans?

I usually say no, I don't want it, and they continue the transaction. Still, today at a west GTA Best Buy, the employee didn't want to let me proceed with the sale if I didn't say yes; eventually, I just walked out and went to another retailer. I am curious if this is just a one-off or if Best Buy, in general, is trying to get their employees to be pushier.

Today I told them I want the product behind the locked case; before he goes to get the key, he's explaining how Best Buy supports this product for three years, etc. I asked whether you need a warranty plan for that. He's like a no-no since the product is costly; we cover it for three years; I was like, ok...

He gets the key, unlocks the case, and takes me to checkout, where he automatically adds the warranty plan and asks me to sign the pin pad; I said, why am I signing for a warranty plan? I don't want it. He's like, why not? It's only 50 bucks (I think 50). I said I didn't want it; he insisted for over 10 minutes with me saying no.

Eventually, he took on a new script, saying it extended my return policy for three years. I could come in any time within three years and go to checkout with the receipt and the product, and I say I changed my mind and they would issue me a full refund on the spot to my card (including the plan); I told him no way it works like that, and that he was lying to me. He insisted it was the truth, and I tried to tell him I'm not stupid to believe that, and if that were the case, then the company would go bankrupt since everyone would buy the plan and come in on year three minus one day and return the product for a full refund to their card. He kept insisting when I said no, saying, "why would you not pay 50 bucks to be able to get all your money back plus the 50 bucks in three years? All you have to do is just come back and say I changed my mind".

This went on for over 20 minutes (not an exaggeration), and I eventually got tired of being lied to and the fact he wasn't accepting no, so I said never mind, I no longer want the product and just left for another store.

Best Buy usually always just accepted no, so not sure if this is a one-off or Best Buy is becoming pushier with the plans. Has anyone had similar experiences or any suggestions on what you would have done in this case?
Should have asked for the manager and asked about that return policy right in front of him. Employee is a piece of crap and deserves to be fired for blatantly lieing.

Me, I would have gotten loud....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6488 posts
6768 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
DeletedMemories wrote: and cops don't have quotas
This is a dumb comparison and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Best Buy employees *do not* make commission. It was only Future Shop where employees made commission and that went away when they eliminated the Future Shop name.

However, whether a BB employee can sell GSPPs or not highly influences 1) how often they get scheduled and 2) whether they even remain employed.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11789 posts
6845 upvotes
Markham
maldahleh wrote: Has anyone had experiences with Best Buy employees being aggressive with the warranty plans?

Last time, we were in bestbuy for a refrigerator. The employee also wanted to sell a 3 year warranty plan (I remember it's 150 ish), so we asked him whether he can reduce refrigerator price for 150 and he said ok. So we got a refrigerator with 3 years warranty at refrigerator price.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11789 posts
6845 upvotes
Markham
chemicalxv wrote:
However, whether a BB employee can sell GSPPs or not highly influences 1) how often they get scheduled and 2) whether they even remain employed.
That's pretty much quotas regardless how you want to call it
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25130 posts
21566 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
First, I agree with everyone else that OP should have asked for the manager. I'd have done it after the second attempt.

No means no. Not just in some cases. It means no in all cases.

When this sort of nonsense happens to me I usually respond in one of two ways (after the first, "No.")

1. "My credit card offers an extra year's warranty so, no, I don't need any other warranty."

2. "What, you mean this product is of so poor quality that it will barely last a year and that I need to pay extra for a warranty? How can you sell such junk in your store?"

Always be firm, but polite. Smiling also helps.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25130 posts
21566 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
smartie wrote: Last time, we were in bestbuy for a refrigerator. The employee also wanted to sell a 3 year warranty plan (I remember it's 150 ish), so we asked him whether he can reduce refrigerator price for 150 and he said ok. So we got a refrigerator with 3 years warranty at refrigerator price.
That suggests two things:
1. You probably paid too much for the fridge, perhaps even more than $150 too much.
2. The margin on extended warranties is "yooge." That's why they push it so hard and then so easily concede on throwing it in "for free" to make a sale.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6488 posts
6768 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
smartie wrote: That's pretty much quotas regardless how you want to call it
Which has nothing to do with what the original poster said in the first place, which is that Best Buy employees don't make commission, which is factual. Quotas and commission don't have anything to do with each other in the first place.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11789 posts
6845 upvotes
Markham
bylo wrote: That suggests two things:
1. You probably paid too much for the fridge, perhaps even more than $150 too much.
2. The margin on extended warranties is "yooge." That's why they push it so hard and then so easily concede on throwing it in "for free" to make a sale.
Not sure whether paid too much. I think this is the one

best-buy-insignia-30-18-cu-ft-top-freez ... 9-2189613/
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11789 posts
6845 upvotes
Markham
chemicalxv wrote: Which has nothing to do with what the original poster said in the first place, which is that Best Buy employees don't make commission, which is factual. Quotas and commission don't have anything to do with each other in the first place.
They are same in the sense they will all tell you that commissions or quotas don't influence their decision or service or whatever
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2461 posts
1996 upvotes
GTA West
smartie wrote: Last time, we were in bestbuy for a refrigerator. The employee also wanted to sell a 3 year warranty plan (I remember it's 150 ish), so we asked him whether he can reduce refrigerator price for 150 and he said ok. So we got a refrigerator with 3 years warranty at refrigerator price.
Great strategy to try out. I didn't know BB staff had that kind of discretion. I could try for $200 off against a $150 warranty, if staff care more about the warranty than the selling price.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
After seeing threads like these I wonder why everyone is so scared to call a manager? Do they not want to be labeled a Karen? I would have asked to speak to the manager on duty as soon as my first no wasn't complied with.

And for those saying there is no commission sure but there is incentive as they are always monitored on how many they sell. Each team has a quota, sorry a goal to reach and each morning this is hammered into them. They have a big board and everything to name and shame. You also are incentivised with money in form of gift cards to whoever sells most that week or month, they wouldn't push so hard if they got nothing out of it. Keeping your job is a pretty big incentive as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2843 posts
2096 upvotes
Southern Ontario
carmaster wrote: One off for sure. Bestbuy employees don't make commission on warranties I believe.
Correct. But they have to keep pace with selling that bloated garbage or they're out the door. You either are good at upselling or you are gonzo.

Extended Warranties make the store good profit and they are designed to not cover when the planned obsolescence device/appliance you buy is expected to expire. An example is a 3yr extended warranty on an appliance that has an average problem free length of 8-10 years.

Almost everyone who buys it will not use the warranty and waste their money.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25130 posts
21566 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
WMPCOT wrote: After seeing threads like these I wonder why everyone is so scared to call a manager? Do they not want to be labeled a Karen? I would have asked to speak to the manager on duty as soon as my first no wasn't complied with.
You're only a "Karen" if you act like a "Karen," arrogant, obnoxious, entitled, etc. You're not a "Karen" if you remain calm, composed, polite, etc.

Rare is a manager who doesn't want to hear from the latter.

Of course if a store manager is incenting the troops to push extended warranties because HQ has directed them to do so, there's not much that manager can do, apart from listening, sympathizing then passing your comments up the food chain.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)