Bestbuy Geek Squad Warranty Claim Process - OLED TV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 3:22 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2007
691 posts
87 upvotes

Bestbuy Geek Squad Warranty Claim Process - OLED TV

Bought a sony oled tv few years ago with the 4 year warranty. Looks to have some bad pixels and warranty is up soon. Called Geek Squad to see what they can do. They said they started a claim and the “repair centre” will call me. Got a call next day from “kodan electronics” in mississauga. Was also told I need to dismount the tv from the wall (even though I paid bestbuy for the wall installation) if they need to take it for repair. Waiting for them to visit.

Are the geek squad warranty repairs outsourced? Anyone been through such a warranty claim before? Any feedback on kodan?
Thank my post if it helped!
7 replies
[OP]
Apr 26, 2007
691 posts
87 upvotes
Can anyone who dealt with bestbuy for tv warranty claims chime in please? Thanks in advance.
Thank my post if it helped!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2888 posts
1555 upvotes
London
u paid for an install that don't mean they will take it down and reinstall it.

u should also read the terms of the warranty unless it says 0 dead pixels most of them won't do anything unless its several dead pixels all in a cluster near each other.

even if its covered they would have to replace the screen witch will cost more then the tv is worth best buy will probably just write it off and try to replace it with some junk no name tv or give u a store credit for the depreciated value of the tv.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15535 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: u paid for an install that don't mean they will take it down and reinstall it.

u should also read the terms of the warranty unless it says 0 dead pixels most of them won't do anything unless its several dead pixels all in a cluster near each other.

even if its covered they would have to replace the screen witch will cost more then the tv is worth best buy will probably just write it off and try to replace it with some junk no name tv or give u a store credit for the depreciated value of the tv.
Very true.

Before I purchase any warranty, I take a deep dive and read the fine print of what is offered and not relied on the salesperson's pitch as they get a commission on it. At the time, there was stipulations that said that they can replace the tv for a similar size and feature but not necessarily the same brand. For example, you can have a Sony/Samsung/LG top model TV and they can give you a 4K house brand and call it a day. Also, dead pixels are rarely covered as @aaron158 mentioned unless they are clustered.

As a result, all the TV's I have purchased were purchased on credit cards that offered extended warranty coverage. The key is to retain the warranty paperwork, bill of sale from your TV purchase, and if there is a problem, the underwriter that works with the credit card company will ask for this information to determine what type of warranty coverage is originally offered. They then would ask you to get an estimate of the repair and if there is a cost, you should contact the underwriter so that they can approve the estimate so that you don't have to pay. They can then determine what is the best approach. If you are a long time cardholder, you could get the money that you paid for the tv back as a credit on the card (assuming you paid over 55% of the TV price on the credit card).

Using this approach, I have had TV's, digital cameras, and other electronics repaired. The beauty of this is also that you can select the place to get things repaired. For example, I had an iPad issue and got an estimate directly from Apple vs. some third party repair facility who may/may not use OEM parts.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2480 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
fizzerd wrote: Bought a sony oled tv few years ago with the 4 year warranty. Looks to have some bad pixels and warranty is up soon. Called Geek Squad to see what they can do. They said they started a claim and the “repair centre” will call me. Got a call next day from “kodan electronics” in mississauga. Was also told I need to dismount the tv from the wall (even though I paid bestbuy for the wall installation) if they need to take it for repair. Waiting for them to visit.

Are the geek squad warranty repairs outsourced? Anyone been through such a warranty claim before? Any feedback on kodan?
I don't have any experience with Geek Squad but if you have somebody close by maybe that person can help you take down the TV and put it on it's stand. That part is easy but you probably need a 2nd person to lift the TV from the wall mount and place it on the stand.

By any chance did you call Geek Squad and ask them if they could help you free of charge for this? I assume it won't be free but it doesn't hurt to ask. If it's cheap enough since this is like a 10 min job then maybe you don't mind paying for it.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1722 posts
1216 upvotes
BB has already approved sending this in to 3rd party repair. I also agree the repair charges will be rejected by BB and tv be returned to OP because dead pixels are not a guarantee and depends on how many and location on screen.

Should he take up BB's offer to send it to 3rd party anyways?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2888 posts
1555 upvotes
London
evilYoda wrote: BB has already approved sending this in to 3rd party repair. I also agree the repair charges will be rejected by BB and tv be returned to OP because dead pixels are not a guarantee and depends on how many and location on screen.

Should he take up BB's offer to send it to 3rd party anyways?
don't hurt he paid for the warranty might as well cost bb some money.
Jan 7, 2006
611 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
I've done a few claims through Asurion via extended Costco warranty. Asurion uses 3rd party repair depots as well. They do in home pickup and inspection for 65" and up I believe.

I booked a time for the tech to come take a look, showed him the issue, he agreed it is a problem and he helped me unmount the tv from the wall. I helped him load it in his truck (was a 120 lbs 75" tv).

I think there's some mutual co-operation expected to move something so large.