Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
200 off
Expiry:
December 20, 2020
Retailer:
Bestbuy
Looking for a good quality sound bar ,does anyone have any input on this JBL or another brand .
This has 5 .1 channel sound with wireless sub total 550 watts.
Thanks
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 17th, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link, thanks rainydays
27 replies
Nov 7, 2009
142 posts
66 upvotes
Regina
I bought this from London Drugs a few days ago and early impressions are great. Quite liking the built in chromecast feature and the bass has a presence. Returned a cheaper Samsung bar I had purchased at Costco in favour of the JBL.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3351 posts
5022 upvotes
Langley, BC
Flawless Cowboy wrote: I bought this from London Drugs a few days ago and early impressions are great. Quite liking the built in chromecast feature and the bass has a presence. Returned a cheaper Samsung bar I had purchased at Costco in favour of the JBL.
Which Samsung bar did you return?
[OP]
Nov 20, 2009
19 posts
8 upvotes
ontario
Flawless Cowboy wrote: I bought this from London Drugs a few days ago and early impressions are great. Quite liking the built in chromecast feature and the bass has a presence. Returned a cheaper Samsung bar I had purchased at Costco in favour of the JBL.
Was looking at 2.1 sound bar and saw this JBL deal 5.1 ,will have head to a store and hear sound I guess , polk audio has one but with extra speakers for rears ,,which I'm not looking for.
Dec 20, 2006
439 posts
242 upvotes
I realize it's Chromecast enabled, but the specs on the BB page say it also work with Google Assistant. Can someone clear this up? I assume it doesn't have Google Assistant built in and this is BB confusing Chromecast with Google Assistant.

No Atmos or DTS:X, sadly.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2009
19 posts
8 upvotes
ontario
HT_YYC wrote: https://www.rtings.com/soundbar

Site does limit the reviews you can see in a day now unless you pay so incognito is your friend.
Thanks was just looking at that site they gave it 6.8 rating has no Atmos support
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3351 posts
5022 upvotes
Langley, BC
I went with the Samsung HW-Q70T (I know the R is better, but can't find it), for $599, cant wait to open it on xmas.
Last edited by steven80 on Dec 17th, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 25, 2020
5 posts
I can comment on this, recently bought the JBL 5.1 sound is amazing, bass shakes the room, however you can only change the bass to low medium and high and in some cases even on low its pretty bass-y! There's also no different modes to select like surround, standard, music or game settings, and treble cant be changed, basically just volume and the 3 bass settings. I ended up buying the Samsung Q60t 5.1 soundbar instead. It was $100 cheaper and have way more features, ability to control all aspects of the sound and sounds great!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1720 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
This is an amazing sound bar.. good price.
The subwoofer is amazing and packs a punch!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1362 posts
1049 upvotes
A 2.1 sound bar makes sense to me. A 3.1 sound bar makes sense to me too. How does 5.1 work on sound bars? How are they reproducing rear speakers without having any?
Jul 9, 2019
153 posts
447 upvotes
DanP wrote: A 2.1 sound bar makes sense to me. A 3.1 sound bar makes sense to me too. How does 5.1 work on sound bars? How are they reproducing rear speakers without having any?
How does portrait works on phone? Computational photography.

How do 1080p content looks so good on some big TVs? Upscaling.

For Audio, you have adaptive EQ, Spatial Audio, 360 Reality, Edge AI.

It’s not exactly the same thing but pretty close, listen to MBP 16” inbuilt speakers to see AI in play.
Last edited by Hahahapxl on Dec 17th, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2011
44 posts
60 upvotes
Calgary
I have the 3.1 from last year's sales and I like it. Agreed the bass was a bit much even on low (move because of the resonance) but what I learnt from don't remember where is move the sub away from the corners. Mine was right in the corner of the room and since moving it away a few feet that made a huge difference. The bass is punchy but no resonance while watching at low volume.
Nov 7, 2009
142 posts
66 upvotes
Regina
steven80 wrote: Which Samsung bar did you return?
It's an unfair comparison as it was only the $200 Samsung T50M.

Although in their review, rtings has the JBL and the Samsung Q60T as a toss up. Costco has a Q6T which I believe is the same as the Q60T and it will likely be cheaper than the JBL if Costco puts it on sale for boxing day.

My wife complained about the bass in the T50M so I just went with the one with largest woofer. Would like to have went with a traditional receiver and speakers, but this is going with a TV in an open-concept living room with the terrible modern trend of having the TV right above the fireplace. No provisions were thought of for hiding speaker wire in the built-ins, so sound bar it is.
Nov 7, 2009
142 posts
66 upvotes
Regina
I can check it later once home but I am pretty sure that there is no direct Google Assistant built in - you set the Chromecast up in the Google Home app and then it is available to be cast to. My guess that they mean that it does work with Google Assistant as in you can tell Google to cast to the JBL from another device once the setup is complete.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1362 posts
1049 upvotes
Hahahapxl wrote: How does portrait works on phone? Computational photography.

How do 1080p content looks so good on some big TVs? Upscaling.

For Audio, you have adaptive EQ, Spatial Audio, 360 Reality, Edge AI.

It’s not exactly the same thing but pretty close, listen to MBP 16” inbuilt speakers to see AI in play.

I understand what you are getting at, but I don't think that's the same. If you have 1080P content that is upscaled to 4k, it's still 1080P content. You can't claim its 4k than.

I've never heard those laptop speakers, but I assume they don't claim to be a 5.1 surround sound setup.

But I do think you took my question the wrong way. I was assuming JBL was doing something weird like had speakers firing to the ceiling or backwards and claiming it's 5.1. I was asking a sincere question. It'd be disappointing if it was just a simulated 5.1 because that's just nonsense to claim 5.1 speakers.
Feb 15, 2010
617 posts
493 upvotes
Surrey
DanP wrote: I understand what you are getting at, but I don't think that's the same. If you have 1080P content that is upscaled to 4k, it's still 1080P content. You can't claim its 4k than.

I've never heard those laptop speakers, but I assume they don't claim to be a 5.1 surround sound setup.

But I do think you took my question the wrong way. I was assuming JBL was doing something weird like had speakers firing to the ceiling or backwards and claiming it's 5.1. I was asking a sincere question. It'd be disappointing if it was just a simulated 5.1 because that's just nonsense to claim 5.1 speakers.
You're going to be very disappointed when you hear about the JBL 9.1 soundbar system than
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1362 posts
1049 upvotes
SirLookout4Deals wrote: You're going to be very disappointed when you hear about the JBL 9.1 soundbar system than
So I googled that crazyness and some how by adding 2 speakers, they went from 5.1 to 9.1 Very efficient.