Home & Garden

Bestbuy major appliance extended warranty vs traditional appliance store questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2018 1:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
416 upvotes

Bestbuy major appliance extended warranty vs traditional appliance store questions

Yes I know that statistically extended warranties are not worth it but the 5 year extended from bestbuy was negotiated in for free (yes I know nothing is free and I could have negotiated more off the cost).

Is there any difference from having a company like Best Buy service your appliances because they mentioned it’s not a 3rd party but actually bestbuy geek squad that will do it for the 5 years, even the first year which I think is weird since that’s the manufacturer’s warreantyvso not sure if that’s accurate.

So any negatives with geek squad appliance repair guys vs traditional appliance stores using a 3rd party service for repairs? Or any traps in the Best Buy warranty details compared to others?
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
416 upvotes
Bump, I’m buying today so any feedback appreciated, Best Buy vs Appliance store warranty service.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9606 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Unless Geek Squad has Licence gas fitters, I doubt they would be doing the repairs. A washer and dryer maybe easy to repair, even refrigerators and dishwashers. But who repairs a gas stove? Refrigerators have compressors too, are they qualified to change coolant?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
416 upvotes
In my case it’s a washer/dryer but I hear what you are saying, just Don’t know why they told me geek squad would do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
416 upvotes
I guess it’s more of a general question when comparing to large appliance sellers like The Brick, Leon’s, Brault & Martineau, Canadian Appliance, if you google those then you are inundated with bad reviews and poor service, so wondering if Bestbuy is the same or if it has any positives over them.
Nov 5, 2009
265 posts
189 upvotes
I bought a dish washer from future shop and bought the extended warranty for it. It was my rental property so and got it for free as well. I used It once. Super simple and easy. They fixed it. Almost had to use it a second time at which time they said they may just replace the dish washer instead of fixing it.

Super convenient to use... it may be the geek squad number your calling but they aren't the ones doing the repair.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
416 upvotes
I was surprised because Bestbuy required the least amount of haggling, but in the end all the stores seem to come to the same bottom line, which is what you want to achieve when negotiating.

I also felt that if there were issues that it would be easier to escalate with bestbuy corporate than these other stores.

Although Best Buy staff are not appliance experts and the staff won’t be able to provide you any useful information.
Nov 5, 2009
265 posts
189 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: I was surprised because Bestbuy required the least amount of haggling, but in the end all the stores seem to come to the same bottom line, which is what you want to achieve when negotiating.

I also felt that if there were issues that it would be easier to escalate with bestbuy corporate than these other stores.

Although Best Buy staff are not appliance experts and the staff won’t be able to provide you any useful information.
I haven't had any issues using their warranty. I'm pretty sure my tenants clogged the dish washer and I called them to fix the clog. They did so no problem. Second time I called them they were going to come out..
Turned out to be a clog that I snaked... I should have left it and got a new dish washer.
From my experience they have been awesome and easy to deal with. Probably better then a real appliance place as they aren't dealing with a lot of dish washers or appliances like the bigger box stores.
Aug 4, 2006
704 posts
317 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
I doubt GeekSquad actually will fix it. Isn't that their tech squad for PCs? They probably meant Best Buy will underwrite the warranty and get the appropriate people to fix the appliance. If you get more than 10 years out of the apps without issue ... consider yourself bless. Now... will Best Buy be in business in the next 5 years?