Bestbuy Marketplace - Never Again!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 8:44 pm
[OP]
Sep 29, 2019
1 posts
9 upvotes

Bestbuy Marketplace - Never Again!

I purchased a new Motorola G7 phone from Wireless Experts via the Bestbuy Marketplace. About 90 days after purchase, the phone experienced hardware failure. Wireless Experts basically gave me the finger, telling me they only provide 60 days warranty and not even recommending anything for next steps. Motorola told me that, based on the serial number, the phone was intended for sale in the Cayman Islands, and would offer no warranty support for it. Basically, I've got a $300 brick. I will never again purchase anything from bestbuy marketplace because it's clear to me they've basically set up the wild west of market places. I'm very disappointed in best buy for allowing lousy vendors on their site, Wireless Experts for being a lousy vendor and Motorola for not putting anything in their packaging to make it clear where a phone is warrantied and where it is not.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8548 posts
2949 upvotes
Mississauga
Out of curiosity how long do you expect a company to provide a warranty and stand behind a product when you are buying products not intended for our market?
Nov 25, 2012
136 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with you op.. Best Buy should be accountable for companies that are placed on their mark place. I think they should be responsible for any support or returned for any orders placed on their website. That’s to RedFlagDeals I have read in previous posts that no support is given and that’s why I only purchase Best Buy items only
Jun 10, 2016
495 posts
374 upvotes
Brampton
sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but I've bought a few things through there (i.e. all in one desktop computer, sony surround sound headphones) and had nothing but positive experiences - guess it is a bit of a luck of the draw thing!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12233 posts
3223 upvotes
--
Avenger wrote: Out of curiosity how long do you expect a company to provide a warranty and stand behind a product when you are buying products not intended for our market?
To be fair I'm guessing the vendor didn't state that it wasn't intended for our market and my guess is the only thing that would state that is the serial number so how the hell would OP know it wasn't intended for our market.

OP did you try to contact bestbuy stating what Motorola said? If not try that, if you did and they won't help then I would try to file a charge back if at all possible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8548 posts
2949 upvotes
Mississauga
XtremeModder wrote: To be fair I'm guessing the vendor didn't state that it wasn't intended for our market and my guess is the only thing that would state that is the serial number so how the hell would OP know it wasn't intended for our market.

OP did you try to contact bestbuy stating what Motorola said? If not try that, if you did and they won't help then I would try to file a charge back if at all possible.
No need "to be fair". Every retailer has a limited "support" period until the buyer is on their own. You cannot go back to Best Buy 90 days later outside their return period. The OP knew the risks (or didn't bother reading).
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mo ... y/13488184

See the below - I would inquire about the warranty stated....
Motorola Moto G7 - Dual SIM - 64GB Smartphone - Black - Unlocked (International Version w/Seller Provided Warranty)
This device is unlocked and may be used with any GSM carrier that uses a frequency or band that this device supports. A SIM card and service plan must be purchased separately. This device's frequencies can be found in the product specifications under Cellular Network. Motorola 1 year manufacturer warranty valid through Seller & select Motorola authorized repair centers. Please contact Seller directly on your My Orders page to initiate a Warranty claim. Do not contact the manufacturer.
Life would be easier if people followed instructions! If, after pointing out the above to the vendor they refuse to honor it, contact Best Buy.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12233 posts
3223 upvotes
--
Avenger wrote: No need "to be fair". Every retailer has a limited "support" period until the buyer is on their own. You cannot go back to Best Buy 90 days later outside their return period. The OP knew the risks (or didn't bother reading).
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mo ... y/13488184

See the below - I would inquire about the warranty stated....

Life would be easier if people followed instructions! If, after pointing out the above to the vendor they refuse to honor it, contact Best Buy.
Ah. Didn't realize about that part.

Also, stating international version was the first red flag and mistake.

I've never once bought from a marketplace seller, always filter to best buy only and probably always will.

Last time I was trying to fi d a playstation classic before EB's 29.99 deal and a seller had them for that price... Fine until you see that shipping was another $30...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8548 posts
2949 upvotes
Mississauga
XtremeModder wrote: Ah. Didn't realize about that part.

Also, stating international version was the first red flag and mistake.

I've never once bought from a marketplace seller, always filter to best buy only and probably always will.

Last time I was trying to fi d a playstation classic before EB's 29.99 deal and a seller had them for that price... Fine until you see that shipping was another $30...
Yeah, the buyer is partly to blame here and needs to do more communication with the seller and BB.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3925 posts
2651 upvotes
London
if u paid with paypal open a dispute paypal lets u dispute things upto 6 months after u pay for it. if u paid direct with cc u can try a charge back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8548 posts
2949 upvotes
Mississauga
aaron158 wrote: if u paid with paypal open a dispute paypal lets u dispute things upto 6 months after u pay for it. if u paid direct with cc u can try a charge back.
You noobs need to give the chargeback a rest, it is a last resort and is not as simple as you think it is. He has recourse and just needs to properly follow the process of discussing it with the vendor and Best Buy.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11732 posts
568 upvotes
This is common on Amazon as well - i.e. buy a $4000 camera and find out it’s grey market and the local office of the manufacturer won’t do warranty service on it as they never made any money off the camera.

Are you able to send it to Cayman for warranty service since it was meant to be sold there? In my example above that is sometimes the case.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5302 posts
3768 upvotes
Vancouver
Jimboski wrote: File a chargeback if you can. Leave them negative review on Best Buy.
Not sure if any credit card company will back up OP if the phone/listing states 60 days warranty and OP had the phone for 90 days.

Personally I treat bestbuy market place (and amazon not fulfilled by amazon) the same as eBay. That is, I would double check the item and the seller before deciding rather or not to buy and pay attention to all the wording. Also it’s a good idea to cross check eBay because sometime the same seller will list the exact same item on eBay (or US eBay) for less than amazon or bb marketplace. Basically you got to pay closer attention or situations like this will pop up.

As far as recourse goes, honestly there likely isn’t any. It’s basically the same as buying off eBay, bst forums, reddit, Facebook, Craigslist, etc. The terms of the transaction is stated and after it’s completed, whatever warranty was listed (if any) is basically all you get. This isn’t a case of you not getting what you paid for or the product failing during warranty period but rather you got what you paid for and the product failed after warranty expired.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29370 posts
14870 upvotes
Avenger wrote: You noobs need to give the chargeback a rest, it is a last resort and is not as simple as you think it is.
Thank you.
I don't understand how everyone thinks it's a magical guaranteed refund button.
There's a process involved and based on what OP described, it's probably not covered.
There's a 60 day warranty on the device and OP is at 90 days.

The one thing that MIGHT be covered is an extended warranty clause especially since OP bought it new, but that's dependent on OP's credit card.
He has recourse and just needs to properly follow the process of discussing it with the vendor and Best Buy.
I don't think he does to be honest.
They dictated a 60 day warranty which OP accepted when he purchased it. It's now 90 days and the retailer is done with OP fair and square.
You could take it up with the manufacturer, but as OP tried, it's a grey market device so that's also not covered.

In fact... here's the description from Best Buy:
Motorola Moto G7 - Dual SIM - 64GB Smartphone - Black - Unlocked (International Version w/Seller Provided Warranty)

What's strange is that the listing says 1 year warranty and not 2 months so OP might have recourse after all.

Motorola 1 year manufacturer warranty valid through Seller & select Motorola authorized repair centers. Please contact Seller directly on your My Orders page to initiate a Warranty claim. Do not contact the manufacturer.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1377 upvotes
@Redvox2 OP, $300 is $300. Did they tell you the phone was not from this jurisdiction? Have you thought about spending another $100 and taking them to Small Claims Court? Here's the Ministry's website with all the details. Think of Judge Judy court. You don't need a lawyer. If you lose, costs are capped. It's likely going to cost them more than $300 to defend themselves. They might settle with you, out of court.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8548 posts
2949 upvotes
Mississauga
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: @Redvox2 OP, $300 is $300. Did they tell you the phone was not from this jurisdiction? Have you thought about spending another $100 and taking them to Small Claims Court? Here's the Ministry's website with all the details. Think of Judge Judy court. You don't need a lawyer. If you lose, costs are capped. It's likely going to cost them more than $300 to defend themselves. They might settle with you, out of court.
He has no case and is wasting time, like you did posting this. Simple reading of the product page would have made it clear what was being purchased.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5302 posts
3768 upvotes
Vancouver
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: @Redvox2 OP, $300 is $300. Did they tell you the phone was not from this jurisdiction? Have you thought about spending another $100 and taking them to Small Claims Court? Here's the Ministry's website with all the details. Think of Judge Judy court. You don't need a lawyer. If you lose, costs are capped. It's likely going to cost them more than $300 to defend themselves. They might settle with you, out of court.
Bad advice, you are just wasting money going to small claims because OP doesn’t have a case. He had it for 90 days when the warranty is 60 days. If you bought a brand new tv with 1 yr warranty and it goes bad in 1.5 yr (without cc double warranty), would you be able to file small claims? This is really no different that the situation I described because warranty has expired.

Unless OP and the seller has agreed upon an extended warranty or return policy (doesn’t sound like it), the seller isn’t required to do anything. Filing small claims just waste your own money and waste the court time because the judge will just look at the case and throw it out because OP has no grounds. It’s a lesson to be careful with fine print when buying something online. That even includes buying from big retailers like bestbuy (not just market place) because some online items at bestbuy are not returnable either so don’t assume bestbuy satisfaction policy applies to everything. That’s one reason I prefer buying some things elsewhere instead of bestbuy online.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12513 posts
15668 upvotes
The only recourse for tor the OP is to check his credit card to see if he has extended warranty. Many but not all credit cards have extended warranty. Practically all premium credit cards have extended warranty.
Have a nice day!

May 8, 2001
978 posts
1483 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: The only recourse for tor the OP is to check his credit card to see if he has extended warranty. Many but not all credit cards have extended warranty. Practically all premium credit cards have extended warranty.
Even with this you have to read the fine print as well. Most CCs I've encountered double the warranty (up to 1 year), but it also has to carry a manufacturer's warranty valid in Canada. Meaning buying grey/black market stuff even from a big box store is cause for it to be denied.
Apr 17, 2015
1 posts
Vancouver
Like Jimboski said, call your Credit Card provider and file a chargeback after you have attempted to resolve the issue with the seller.

In the US and Canada, loads of people attempt to start market place businesses without fully understanding the laws between sales and returns. In fact many consumers do not understand their own rights as purchasers. companies are free to make return policies that do not reflect the law, but they are still required to follow the law. So if you purchase a product that you pay taxes on, you are required to receive the standard legal return and warranty. On top of this your credit card most likely has added warranty on items you purchase.