None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3860 posts
1575 upvotes
Scarborough

BestBuy Price Matching situation.

So we know that they price match by 10% of the difference and subtract it from the lowest competitor's price, but what I did not know is that if you call them back and try to price match yet a cheaper price they will only apply the 10% of the difference on your NEW SUBTOTAL and not the original listing price off their website.

I seriously did not know that, I can be an a$$ and cancel my order and re-order it but won't do that. Anyone else think this is ridiculous?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2088 posts
1087 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: So we know that they price match by 10% of the difference and subtract it from the lowest competitor's price, but what I did not know is that if you call them back and try to price match yet a cheaper price they will only apply the 10% of the difference on your NEW SUBTOTAL and not the original listing price off their website.

I seriously did not know that, I can be an a$$ and cancel my order and re-order it but won't do that. Anyone else think this is ridiculous?
no idea what you are talking about, you seem confuse

BESTBUY price $100

COMPETITOR price $90

You pay 90 - ({100 - 90) x 10%}) = $89

Have been doing this for years unless something changed TODAY

hope helps
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3860 posts
1575 upvotes
Scarborough
2007camryhybrid wrote: no idea what you are talking about, you seem confuse

BESTBUY price $100

COMPETITOR price $90

Have been doing this for years unless something changed TODAY

hope helps
BestBuy Price = $100
Competitor Price = $90

This is correct but what I'm getting at is if I find a cheaper deal afterwards of say $80 from a competitor, BESTBUY will apply the math above but from the $89 (new subtotal) and not the original $100 because I've already PM'd once. So instead of $100 - $80 x 10% they will do $89 - $80 x 10%.

Got it?
Dec 18, 2011
487 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal
That is just stupid.
Aug 9, 2005
796 posts
287 upvotes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like OP is:

BB Price $100
Competitor $90
PM to $89

Then, OP finds another place selling for $80
BB PM's to $79.10, based on the BB "price" of $89 and not $100.

Which means he's missing out on.... $79.10 vs $78 for a difference of.... $1.10. On a price difference of $20.

OP you haven't told us what the actual price difference is, although I can't see it much different from the example. Yes, you can cancel and try to re-order, but is it really worth the $1 (or probably less)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3860 posts
1575 upvotes
Scarborough
dokechi wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like OP is:

BB Price $100
Competitor $90
PM to $89

Then, OP finds another place selling for $80
BB PM's to $79.10, based on the BB "price" of $89 and not $100.

Which means he's missing out on.... $79.10 vs $78 for a difference of.... $1.10. On a price difference of $20.

OP you haven't told us what the actual price difference is, although I can't see it much different from the example. Yes, you can cancel and try to re-order, but is it really worth the $1 (or probably less)?
To be honest it really isn't worth the extra dollar but I find it sneaky that they wouldn't PM based on their original selling price of the item they are selling but instead from the previous PM issued to my account. Had I taken my sweet time to look a little further I would have had a cheaper PM of a $20 difference versus $11
Dec 18, 2011
487 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal
OrangeBerry wrote: You're referring to BB PM policy?
Yes, the last few years best buy is making it much harder to price beat anything. They always change the amazon free over 25 shipping to one day shipping or say limited quantities.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7726 posts
1607 upvotes
It really isn't, since they were willing to PM you the first time, that is their price. So, PM the 2nd time and they will just PM you the price you already got at 1st PM. However, what you should have done is do a cancel order or return, then repurchase with a fresh PM or just find the lowest price to PM the first time.
OrangeBerry wrote: To be honest it really isn't worth the extra dollar but I find it sneaky that they wouldn't PM based on their original selling price of the item they are selling but instead from the previous PM issued to my account. Had I taken my sweet time to look a little further I would have had a cheaper PM of a $20 difference versus $11
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Aug 9, 2005
796 posts
287 upvotes
Because most people would be happy just to PM at the lower price, even after completing the purchase at the higher one. Even if you're getting it for $80, it's still better than the $89 you were willing to pay, happily I might add.

Bestbuy doesn't want your business so much that they're going to PM multiple times on the same purchase.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3860 posts
1575 upvotes
Scarborough
Well my other rant is how their Market Place isn't able to Price Match and they don't allow the free shipping over $25 either. Their shipping and return policy on Market Place is also dirently done with the seller and not BB. Why even offer such a service, all their doing is slapping the word BESTBUY but everything else is non-compliant. The stress!!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1679 posts
330 upvotes
BC
The stress is what you are creating for yourself. Most other places just PM at the lower price ($89 vs $80 then your price is $80). BB should have just left it at that. Their policy leave them open to pettiness.
"If you ever doubted yourself, remember, the Stupidest Man on earth became President" Li Ka Shing
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5798 posts
731 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote: Well my other rant is how their Market Place isn't able to Price Match and they don't allow the free shipping over $25 either. Their shipping and return policy on Market Place is also dirently done with the seller and not BB. Why even offer such a service, all their doing is slapping the word BESTBUY but everything else is non-compliant. The stress!!
No different than 3rd party sellers on Amazon though...