Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

- Chromebook ACER C720 $99 (w/ Windows XP Laptop Trade In)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2014 2:13 am
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
505 posts
317 upvotes

[Best Buy] - Chromebook ACER C720 $99 (w/ Windows XP Laptop Trade In)

If you're traveling down to the US in the next little while and have an old junker windows xp laptop lying around. This might be a good time to trade up to a chromebook for $100.

Chromebooks aren't for everyone, but they're prefect for internet/email browsing. Also if you install Chrome Remote Desktop it could be a cheap windows/mac for travel.

[QUOTE]Get a minimum of $100 toward the purchase of a new Windows computer, Apple® computer or Chromebook1 when you trade in a working Windows XP laptop at a Best Buy store

Now through 4/19/2014, bring in your working Windows XP laptop and trade it in for a $25 gift card plus a discount coupon good for $75 toward the purchase of a new Windows computer[/QUOTE]
71 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9810 posts
7610 upvotes
Kootenays
Where do you see this? Can you provide a link?
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
505 posts
317 upvotes
Promotion detail is in the Deal Link.

I added links for the Acer c720 and an article posted else where about the deal as well.
Mar 29, 2011
37 posts
16 upvotes
London
Edit: WARNING - YMMV
The CSR at Bestbuy refused the trade without a valid USA ID. Short story: I found a kind local to help me process my trade-in. YMMV, doable, but be prepared for some resistance

Original post:

Saw the $100 trade in promo last night.
Found the old power brick, download an iso of xp, downgrading from win 7.

I read that some stores only check the xp sticker on the bottom.

IIRC there's no duties in computers, only taxes. Don't get caught trying to smuggle a $13 taxable item across the border
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
505 posts
317 upvotes
YYMV but some stores don't care about the condition as long as it boots. Traded a laptop with a defective screen (1 line of dead pixels) and no issues.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23220 posts
4987 upvotes
Toronto
Dang, I have an old Compaq with WinXP with a defective screen (flickers and image won't stay on)...

I think it is a known defect but Compaq won't do anything for me.

It would be perfect for this offer...the store can keep the laptop too!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2575 posts
1268 upvotes
Montréal, QC
sci05 wrote: YYMV but some stores don't care about the condition as long as it boots. Traded a laptop with a defective screen (1 line of dead pixels) and no issues.
Does it need a hard drive to boot?
I have an old laptop that I took out the hard drive for my HTPC...
It came with Vista... worst than XP....
Apr 5, 2007
143 posts
41 upvotes
Clee wrote: Does it need a hard drive to boot?
I have an old laptop that I took out the hard drive for my HTPC...
If they only cared about booting, and I didn't have a HDD, I'd just put something like Ubuntu on a flash drive and boot from that. You don't need to install it, since it offers somewhat of a demo mode. That said, no idea if they'll actually accept it, since I know nothing about the promo.

Here are the instructions though: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows

EDIT: Looks like you probably need to boot into XP. You might be able to install that to a flash drive as well though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5730 posts
1962 upvotes
Kanata
Damn too bad it has to be working, I have a $1500 back in the day dead laptop that has a dead screen. I suppose if any XP machine is actually working, unless it crawls, it's better than the Chrome book. They should just accept dead laptops, the ones they're accepting is going to the recycle anyway.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9810 posts
7610 upvotes
Kootenays
I called the closest USA BB to me in Kalispell, MT. They said they would have to boot the computer, make sure it's running XP and check that the original MS sticker is on the machine. All fine for me, but YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
6499 posts
1235 upvotes
Mississauga
Dang, wish the promo comes here, I got a couple netbooks to unload
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1650 posts
769 upvotes
Halton
ok, it boots and all but I am not sure the XP authentications matches the sticker (cough cough) will this be an issue
no mention of this issue on the reddit link.. thanks OP!!
Sep 16, 2013
79 posts
176 upvotes
Concord
CheapoFillipo wrote: ok, it boots and all but I am not sure the XP authentications matches the sticker (cough cough) will this be an issue
no mention of this issue on the reddit link.. thanks OP!!
Many OEM computers have a different key installed than the key on the sticker, so I don't think that's an issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1451 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
Damn. This got me excited for a sec because I have an old functional Dell D600 lying around. Then I realized this is an US deal....
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2575 posts
1268 upvotes
Montréal, QC
damn it... my passport just expired...
I hope I can renew it on time
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4075 posts
2544 upvotes
Ottawa
Is this the first generation not haswell?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1271 posts
1169 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
This is the Haswell generation Celeron CPU.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1451 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah. it is the 2955U haswell