• May 20th, 2016 1:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10648 posts
1081 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] WD My Book 6TB 3.5" USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - $220

Described by BB as portable, but definitely not as it has power adapter.
Images
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
Amourek wrote: Described by BB as portable, but definitely not as it has power adapter.
Aren't these the ones with hardware level encryption so if the drive dies, you can't just take it out and use it in another casing without formatting first?
Aug 1, 2005
541 posts
96 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Aren't these the ones with hardware level encryption so if the drive dies, you can't just take it out and use it in another casing without formatting first?
Yes, I also believe they don't have a regular sata drive inside, rather the PCB is soldered on.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
fiendy wrote: Yes, I also believe they don't have a regular sata drive inside, rather the PCB is soldered on.
As far as I know, WD doesn't solder the 3.5" drives. It's the 2.5" ones they solder.
Nov 24, 2014
368 posts
412 upvotes
Windsor, ON
fiendy wrote: Yes, I also believe they don't have a regular sata drive inside, rather the PCB is soldered on.
And this is fine for 99% of users out there - but for anybody who's even the least bit technically minded - this is a calculated gimping of the product in order to force people to pay the demonstrably inflated prices of their standard drives.

I'll never buy one of these drives. If the enclosure/unit fails, I want to be able to recover my data MYSELF.