Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bestco Scarborough

Wing Wah Double Yoke Mooncakes $25

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2022 10:11 am
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
fakejordan wrote: Check the expiry date. Got the MX one for $20 and it expired on Oct 5
gshrfd wrote: It's not. It's Nov 11 this year.

Got the last two boxes on the shelf to give it a try.Face Savouring Delicious Food
SonyCanWoes wrote: Are you sure? Do you mean like Jan? The ones I've seen expire in Nov and other brands expire in Oct. If some mooncakes expire a year later maybe people shouldn't be eating them.
I called it back in post 13, and OP decided not to clarify. Not sure how they misread the date when "2022" is even written in full. The people who honestly thought one can buy now for next year are insane. If that were possible, nobody would ever pay full price for these and only buy them on sale to do this every year. If baked goods like this lasted that long without freezing, I would be concerned what was in them/what was preserving them. They also have exposed egg yolks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6045 posts
5862 upvotes
Vancouver
SonyCanWoes wrote: I called it back in post 13, and OP decided not to clarify. Not sure how they misread the date when "2022" is even written in full. The people who honestly thought one can buy now for next year are insane. If that were possible, nobody would ever pay full price for these and only buy them on sale to do this every year. If baked goods like this lasted that long without freezing, I would be concerned what was in them/what was preserving them. They also have exposed egg yolks.
You can immediately tell who’s never eaten a decent mooncake if they think this stuff has a one year best before date.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6045 posts
5862 upvotes
Vancouver
thelasthunter wrote: Most people here don't want to impress in-laws, in fact, they want them gone.
Most mooncake buyers are Chinese. Most Chinese are homeowners. You don’t want miss out on inheriting a couple $2M properties a few years down the road because you saved a couple bucks with expired cakes.
Dec 18, 2007
554 posts
943 upvotes
Richmond Hill
board123 wrote: Maybe some people just like to eat mooncakes regardless of the time of year.

I like egg nog and wish that it's sold year round.
Well T&T sell them year round but single pack. Who in the right mind would buy mooncake now kinda sick of mooncake after eating 10 boxes from freshco. Hehe.

Mooncake kinda boring after autum festival.

With York no way they are expire after a year. Maybe few days or months.
Mar 6, 2005
539 posts
179 upvotes
Anything with such high sugar and fat should freeze well. Did anyone try?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5801 posts
4422 upvotes
outer crust where the crest is would turn into mush.
Aug 14, 2022
414 posts
943 upvotes
Montreal
These are GREAT!

Haters will downvote.

We just have this treat once a year.

If you don't like it then, LUMP it Smiling Face With Sunglasses
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9369 posts
11336 upvotes
I called it back in post 13, and OP decided not to clarify. Not sure how they misread the date when "2022" is even written in full. The people who honestly thought one can buy now for next year are insane. If that were possible, nobody would ever pay full price for these and only buy them on sale to do this every year. If baked goods like this lasted that long without freezing, I would be concerned what was in them/what was preserving them. They also have exposed egg yolks.
You know different batches can have different best before dates right? Beginning of 2023 is still within 2023, sorry you assumed it meant all of 2023. You can still have these beyond Best Before date without it being bad for you. You're also making it sound like the egg yokes are raw and will spoil easily. They are not, as they are throughly preserved to begin with. The egg yokes are encased in the lotus paste and not exposed to air..... The only real risk is the fat / oil content to go rancid but that's really extreme circumstances
Last edited by Wizard1 on Sep 27th, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 21, 2022
128 posts
162 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: Here you go RFD Mooncake snobs, your precious Wing Wah is now 50% off. Get them while you can!

*satire NOT a good deal

Will never buy these overpriced Floor with egg yokes moon cake anymore. It doesn't even worth $25 for 4 buns.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: You know different batches can have different Best Before dates right? BEST BEFORE beginning of 2023 is still within 2023 sorry you assumed it meant all of 2023. You can still have these beyond Best Before date without it being bad for you. You're also making it sound like the egg yokes are raw and will spoil easily. They are not, as they are throughly preserved to begin with. The egg yokes are encased in the lotus paste and not exposed to air..... The only real risk is the fat / oil content to go rancid but that's really extreme circumstances
SonyCanWoes wrote: Are you sure? Do you mean like Jan? The ones I've seen expire in Nov and other brands expire in Oct. If some mooncakes expire a year later maybe people shouldn't be eating them.
SonyCanWoes wrote: I called it back in post 13, and OP decided not to clarify. Not sure how they misread the date when "2022" is even written in full. The people who honestly thought one can buy now for next year are insane. If that were possible, nobody would ever pay full price for these and only buy them on sale to do this every year. If baked goods like this lasted that long without freezing, I would be concerned what was in them/what was preserving them. They also have exposed egg yolks.
And saying they expire next year making people think it's much later, which is exactly why people talked about gifting them a full 12 months later (which you also did not correct their misunderstanding). Be clear here...the ones you saw, when do they expire? I've seen them in various supermarkets and they were all Nov 11, exactly the same date as the two that RFDer in this thread got from Bestco, where you saw them. I saw MX from different places and they all had the same Oct 5 expiration date the same as the other RFDer in this thread said. Even if there are different batches, the fact that it's all for the same week/weekend/day basically means they should all expire pretty close to the same time. I highly doubt any expire in 2023. If they do, come out and say it instead of arguing some theory that has nothing to do with mooncakes, or specifically these Wing Wah mooncakes. I was doubtful of your claim but gave you benefit of the doubt to clarify it, and you ignored me yet replied to another post of mine, which seems shady. Now after another RFDer bought them from the same supermarket you saw them in, you're talking about general concepts of batches when I said I called it. Again, being careful to not say when the expiration date YOU SAW is. You should have just stayed silent on the matter, you're just making yourself look worse.

I am not making the eggs "sound like" they're raw at all, and cooked eggs spoil very fast. Go google mooncake yolks and you'll see results saying they last up to three months in an air tight bag in the fridge. Not at room temperature, and not a year.

When things get exposed to air they start to spoil. The yolks have been exposed to air, and are also in contact with the lotus paste, not sitting in some egg white to protect them from being contaminated.

There's an RFDer in another thread who had mold on his mooncakes before even the expiration date. Yes, you can have things past BB dates, but people here are saying to give them next festival for consumption. You have to be trolling if you think that's going to be fine.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9369 posts
11336 upvotes
And saying they expire next year making people think it's much later, which is exactly why people talked about gifting them a full 12 months later (which you also did not correct their misunderstanding). Be clear here...the ones you saw, when do they expire? I've seen them in various supermarkets and they were all Nov 11, exactly the same date as the two that RFDer in this thread got from Bestco, where you saw them. I saw MX from different places and they all had the same Oct 5 expiration date the same as the other RFDer in this thread said. Even if there are different batches, the fact that it's all for the same week/weekend/day basically means they should all expire pretty close to the same time. I highly doubt any expire in 2023. If they do, come out and say it instead of arguing some theory that has nothing to do with mooncakes, or specifically these Wing Wah mooncakes.

I am not making the eggs "sound like" they're raw at all, and cooked eggs spoil very fast. Go google mooncake yolks and you'll see results saying they last up to three months in an air tight bag in the fridge. Not at room temperature, and not a year.

When things get exposed to air they start to spoil. The yolks have been exposed to air, and are also in contact with the lotus paste, not sitting in some egg white to protect them from being contaminated.

There's an RFDer in another thread who had mold on his mooncakes before even the expiration date. Yes, you can have things past BB dates, but people here are saying to give them next festival for consumption. You have to be trolling if you think that's going to be fine.
I'm never going to say anything that I'm not sure about, so yes I saw 2023 and that's it (if you want to call me a liar sure... I really don't care) . Maybe you lack a sense of humour to people's sarcastic comments that they're going to save them till next year's gifts.

These aren't cooked eggs.... They're preserved egg yokes to begin with and they're encased in the lotus paste, yes it was exposed to air at some point, but once it's encased it's no longer exposed, and therefore will substantially extend the shelf life. Same reason why cheese like brie has its rind it protects the inside from spoiling
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: I'm never going to say anything that I'm not sure about, so yes I saw 2023 and that's it. Maybe you lack a sense of humour to people's sarcastic comments that they're going to save them till next year's gifts.

These aren't cooked eggs.... They're preserved egg yokes to begin with and they're encased in the lotus paste, yes it was exposed to air at some point, but once it's encased it's no longer exposed. Same reason why cheese like brie has its rind it protects the inside from spoiling.
If you don't want to admit you saw or remembered incorrectly that's up to you.

Maybe you should read up on how food spoils, you don't seem to understand that after exposure, encasing them means nothing, especially if it's not vacuum sealed or stored in cold temperatures.

Yes, and what happens to Brie if you break the skin? Hence my egg white analogy.

Every video of mooncakes and DIY instruction I've seen and read uses cooked yolks. Wing Wah is no different. Regular salted eggs are cooked, you can tell by their whites and yolks. Look at the texture and consistency of these mooncake yolks and you can tell they've been cooked.
Last edited by SonyCanWoes on Sep 27th, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9369 posts
11336 upvotes
Maybe you should read up on how food spoils, you don't seem to understand that after exposure, encasing them means nothing, especially if it's not vacuum sealed or stored in cold temperatures.
Mmmmmm thanks for reminding me..... Breaks out non vacuumed warm bag of Beef Jerky.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: Mmmmmm thanks for reminding me..... Breaks out non vacuumed warm bag of Beef Jerky.
Yes, beef jerky = egg yolks and all food spoils in the same amount of time.

And 2022 = 2023 to you. Everything is so clear now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9369 posts
11336 upvotes
SonyCanWoes wrote: Yes, beef jerky = egg yolks and all food spoils in the same amount of time.

And 2022 = 2023 to you. Everything is so clear now.
What you fail to understand is how food is handled / prepared also affects a food item's shelf life. Why do you think prepackaged rice can last more than a year, when if you put it out..it will mold? Meat spoil in air quickly but when handled /preserved properly can last months or year beyond regular time frames

Yes you're right.... And 2023 means Dec 31st 2023 as well. Crystal clear
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote: What you fail to understand is how food is handled / prepared also affects a food item's shelf life. Why do you think prepackaged rice can last more than a year, when if you put it out..it will mold?

Yes you're right.... And 2023 means Dec 31st 2023 as well. Crystal clear
Which is exactly what you don't understand. That's why I told you mooncake egg yolks last three months in the fridge.

You didn't even know the difference between preserved egg and salted egg nor that mooncake yolks are actually cooked because you claimed they're not cooked. Keep blowing smoke.

Uh yes Dec 31 2023 IS 2023. Your point is? lol

Every Wing Wah I've seen had Nov 11 2022 as an expiration date. The RFDer who went to your location bought two that also had that date. Other brands like MX expire in Oct 5, also what myself and others have seen. Mooncakes are made for literally one day. Like I said, you can believe in Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy along with your 2023 expiration if you want, but there's no physical nor logical support for that belief. You don't even have a container to refer to of what you saw. Or you do, but don't want to admit you are wrong.
Jul 11, 2007
608 posts
180 upvotes
GTA
oh please.... these are "Best Before Date" not "expire date"
they are food, not medicine. these date are, suggestive, like, Parley, in the pirate world.
like Campbell soup has these best before date on each of their can, I honestly do not believe can food from reputable company would go bad in matter of few years.
with so much fat and sugar, and the oxygen absorbant packet, I highly doubt mooncake go bad in few month if store properly in seal package.

are they still available? maybe a snack with afternoon tea.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
gogozy wrote: oh please.... these are "Best Before Date" not "expire date"
they are food, not medicine. these date are, suggestive, like, Parley, in the pirate world.
like Campbell soup has these best before date on each of their can, I honestly do not believe can food from reputable company would go bad in matter of few years.
with so much fat and sugar, and the oxygen absorbant packet, I highly doubt mooncake go bad in few month if store properly in seal package.

are they still available? maybe a snack with afternoon tea.
The canning process heats up the contents and kills all the bacteria, and then it's completely sealed. This is precisely why damaged cans introduce this to the contents and spoils the contents, and why people avoid damaged cans. Not an apples to apples comparison. Food is not medicine but so what? It can still make you sick and kill you. Going bad is not guaranteed but if something like the eggs have a short shelf life, then it's going to be bad more often than not. It's like eating leftovers food a few weeks or longer from your fridge. Nothing is guaranteed but we talk about risk factor and expected shelf life all the time when it comes to food. Pretending eggs have a different risk level than they do is not the way to approach this though. Eggs aside, IMO, it's highly likely the lotus paste will get heavy oil tasting/smelling and be very hard.

"I honestly do not believe can food from reputable company would go bad in matter of few years" - haha OK...you must be an extremely lucky individual then, or speaking not from experience. Edit: I've had Campbell's soup go bad after expiry date but under 2 years after.