Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bestco Scarborough

Wing Wah Double Yoke Mooncakes $25

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2022 10:11 am
Jul 11, 2007
608 posts
180 upvotes
GTA
thanks for the information, I see what you are saying. I use can food as example to show how the date is very conservatives. fresh chicken legs can go spoil way before BB date on package. it's a Best before, not expire. as it can actually go bad before the printed date as well, and BB date does not guarantee safety. "bad" is also debatable, what is bad.... ? as long as not making people ill, ? or as as soon as it smell unpleasant? but how ill ? and how to measure the pungent smell? the date only apply to these the unopen package.
medicine use "expired date" because they have established method or regulation to measure, under control environment (for guarantee level of potency).
the best before date, I don't know if Canadian government regulated on how to determine that "date" nor if it's related to safety.

my point was that we consumer, still need to exercise caution, use our eyes and nose, and judge, before or after the BB date.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
gogozy

Yes, I said nothing is guaranteed, but we determine risk, and safety guidelines are there for a reason - in almost all cases, food will spoil within that time frame, by that time frame, or shortly after that time frame. Spoil meaning health risk, not taste and texture.

One can buy mooncakes to consume months or years after their expiration dates, but being convinced they will be fine as a default is like buying anything with a typically short shelf life and expecting it to be fine that long after. We are not talking about canned soup with a default long shelf life already, but mooncakes made for Sept 10 and with an expiration date two months from then. Keep in mind that they were already made earlier than Sept, and salted egg yolks have an alleged 30-90 day shelf life when refrigerated (not at room temperature, and need to keep checking them from 30 days onwards).

As a consumer of course you're welcome to decide if a mooncake is bad after you look at it, smell it, taste it. However, you can make that argument for any food. It really has no bearing on any discussion on what is the expected case, and in this thread, you and the OP have insisted they will be fine for abitrary reasons.

Human judgement should still yield to science though. Milk at room temperature even after just a few hours is unhealthy to consume even if it tastes and smells fine. Same with produce, bread, etc that have visible mold that some people cut out to eat what doesn't have visible mold. People can't taste harmful fungi, bacteria, parasites, viruses, protein (BSE), etc. Food can be bad without being noticeable as being bad.
Jul 11, 2007
608 posts
180 upvotes
GTA
SonyCanWoes wrote: gogozy

Yes, I said nothing is guaranteed, but we determine risk, and safety guidelines are there for a reason - in almost all cases, food will spoil within that time frame, by that time frame, or shortly after that time frame. Spoil meaning health risk, not taste and texture.

One can buy mooncakes to consume months or years after their expiration dates, but being convinced they will be fine as a default is like buying anything with a typically short shelf life and expecting it to be fine that long after. We are not talking about canned soup with a default long shelf life already, but mooncakes made for Sept 10 and with an expiration date two months from then. Keep in mind that they were already made earlier than Sept, and salted egg yolks have an alleged 30-90 day shelf life when refrigerated (not at room temperature, and need to keep checking them from 30 days onwards).

As a consumer of course you're welcome to decide if a mooncake is bad after you look at it, smell it, taste it. However, you can make that argument for any food. It really has no bearing on any discussion on what is the expected case, and in this thread, you and the OP have insisted they will be fine for abitrary reasons.

Human judgement should still yield to science though. Milk at room temperature even after just a few hours is unhealthy to consume even if it tastes and smells fine. Same with produce, bread, etc that have visible mold that some people cut out to eat what doesn't have visible mold. People can't taste harmful fungi, bacteria, parasites, viruses, protein (BSE), etc. Food can be bad without being noticeable as being bad.
thanks for your insight and sharing of knowledge. I hope to find these mooncake and enjoy fully prior to the best before date.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1899 posts
3257 upvotes
Good luck with that, it's probably as likely as a box having a 2023 expiration date. A member said they got the last two boxes from this location on Sept 26, and everywhere else started selling them at this price two weeks ago. Every crumb has been enjoyed, or will be enjoyed by others likely long before the expiration date.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)