Students

Which is better, Centennial college or Michener ?

[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
83 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor

Which is better, Centennial college or Michener ?

Hi all

So I just got an acceptance letter from centennial college for the industrial microbiology "Biotechnology technologist" program. I also attended the Michener MMI for the Med lab technician program this week and I feel (although I say this cautiously) that I might have a chance of getting and offer there two. But this creates a dilemma for me.

The dilemma I have is this: I feel both programs are similar content-wise. The only difference is that Centennial college program is more geared towards industrial application while Michener's is geared towards functioning in a healthcare setting , am I correct in saying this ? This is why I am having a hard time deciding whether I should just accept Centennial college's offer now rather then wait for Michener college's reponse (possibly by May 3rd) and risk losing my Centennial college offer. One thing that makes my decision harder is that I think Michener has a much better standard in general then Centennial. I mean, they have a rigorous interview and selection process while Centennial has a far less rigorous process (they did not even interview me).

So, if anyone has been to either of these colleges, and in either the MLT or the industrial microbiology program, I would really appreciate it if you could maybe share your experiences with me. Specifically things like, how well the instructors taught, how in-demand each program is in your opinion, and what you thought of how well the programs prepared you for employment ( if you got through the program already that is).
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1095 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
MLT is Medical Laboratory Technologist, not technician. Huge difference in terms of scope of practice, roles, and salary.

MLT is in huge demand at the moment. I can't say the same about biotechnology technologist.
May 12, 2008
412 posts
44 upvotes
Agreed. Michener's program is a technologist program and is 3 years. I don't know what the centennial program is all about, but I think that if you get into Michener you should jump at the chance as it is very hard to get into.
Apr 28, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
how was the mmi? did everyone dress formally for it?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1490 posts
19 upvotes
I have to agree with the other posters. MLTs are in strong demand and will continue to grow in demand because most of the workforce is retiring. The Centennial thing sounds like you're involved in the manufacturing of things using biotechnological products, which sounds more interesting than analyzing stool samples.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
83 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
chiamo wrote: how was the mmi? did everyone dress formally for it?
Yes, everyone I saw did dress formally. Some people even had 3 piece suites on.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10910 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
saw the same thing.

I sort of dressed but not really. I wore at least black dress pants with a slim fitting sweater.

nothing too special but many people came in buttoned shirts or suits. All of them were taking it seriously but me.

Well, I signed up for Michener because I was signing up for other college programs and wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth from OCAS. Got the MMI and thought it went well overall.

I just finished my undergrad and have been working in clinical research but the opportunities here are tight. All the jobs online at the hospitals are for lab technologists but they don't disclose the pay either.

Since I did an MMI previously, I thought it was pretty simple but many of our competitors came prepared but were very nervous. My relaxed vibe may have messed with their minds just a little bit considering I almost forgot about the interview but work nearby.

Right now, I would pick Michener over the Centennial program. Michener is in the downtown core meaning you might be able to make connections at the larger hospitals downtown. Also, many graduates enter Michener whereas Centennial is a program where you can earn your degree also so I have a feeling many people getting into that program are trying to get a diploma+degree.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1214 posts
339 upvotes
anything you get accepted in Micheners you should jump on compared to Centennial's science programs!