Automotive

better colour paint for year-round street parking in Vancouver?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2016 1:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604

better colour paint for year-round street parking in Vancouver?

live in Vancouver, and i play musical chairs for street parking spots.

curious if any ppl here have thoughts on which colour would fare better (generally speaking, irrespective of finish, films, etc. etc.) outside in the elements: sun, rain, tree sap, maybe a hit of snow once a year, and of course, bird poop/

- Black (which i hear is really hard to keep clean)
- Gun Metal Metallic

yup, pretty boring colours, but i'm limited by the model ... the other option is White, but my last white car seemed to look filthy all the time.

edit: might also have a Deep Blue as an option as well ...
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3142 upvotes
Markham
Between those two i'd say gun metal. It will definitely hide certain dirt better than Black. Black does better with tree sap but in every other situation it will be harder to maintain vs. Lighter colors.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16724 posts
9500 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Definitely the gun metal or the deep blue.

You should also look at a good durable wax and some UV protection for your lights. For wax, I recommend Collinite 845 and you can use the Collinite for the lights as well but I recommend using some Meguiar's Headlight Protectant (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/megui ... nt=Default) on all external lights since it's a new car. Once you apply the headlight protectant, put a layer of Collinite over top of it to protect the protectant from being washed off too soon.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604
whoa, the headlight glass can get damaged by UV? never knew that, thx for the tip.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36181 posts
10315 upvotes
Ottawa
Silver (gun metal) is a lazy mans colour. It does not show dirt or spots as much as any other colour (except for White).
As for the UV damaging the headlight assembly, well, that is non player. All cars have the same polycarbonate headlights assemblies and thy all drive in the sunlight and not all are parked indoors. Yes, there are cases of the plastic getting tarnished but really, it is more an opportunity for companies to sell you a new product. You probably have "plastic" headlight assembly now and look around, almost all cars do and discoloration is not a big issue.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16724 posts
9500 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would also say look around at the headlight lenses... Yes, you will see some older cars (6+ year old models) with absolutely clear headlights but you'll also see cars in the same age range with completely clouded/hazed over headlights (as well as everything in between). At the end of the day, you don't know how each owner took care of their car - ie do they wash and wax it regularly, do they park in a garage, is it their daily driver or a weekend only?

Does it sell more new product? yes of course. The move from glass assemblies to plastic ones ensured that will happen. Is it a common problem? Do a google search on 'hazy car headlights' and you'll get your answer in the number of hits on articles on how to fix the problem with a $15 to $30 kit and an afternoon of work only to have them haze up again later. My point is why spend the money to fix the problem after it has happened? Prevent it from happening in the first place as one bottle of that Headlight Protectant cost less than a restoration kit and will last years even with applying it every few weeks. Of course, you might be one of the owners who never experience the problem OR you can be one who does.