Computers & Electronics

better quality freephoneline.ca or magic jack?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2010 10:23 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2005
870 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary

better quality freephoneline.ca or magic jack?

Who is better for call quality?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1246 posts
122 upvotes
I downloaded freephoneline.ca a few days ago and the quality was terrible. The other party sounds intermittant (breaks in and out) and I was told I sound the same.

On a positive note, freephoneline.ca actually had live tech support, i was impressed!!

never tried magic jack...

UPDATE: I found out that if I am running several applications in the background, the quality of freephoneline.ca is intermittent and broken. But if only freephoneline is running, its pretty clear except that there is about a 1 sec-1.5 sec delay in voice transmissions... overall, its worth it and free!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
I have both and they look/feel/work/sounds almost same.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Nov 9, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
my setup it's somewhat complicated.. i have an spa2102 running behind a linksys (tomato linux firmware) and proper Qos. having said that, the quality is not better then any other voip. I have tried a few. Meaning, it's at least 2x better then a cell phone. Mind you, every corp out there uses voip, so my setup is a close as their quality with a home router and a phone adapter (spa2102).
I can send out fax with no issues. with MagicJack this was not possible and i need it to keep a pc on 24/7. So while it's good, i think you're better off with a phone adapter. Even the popular pap2 gives you stereo quality if configure properly (it's about CAN$40 at canadacomputers). I only started using freephoneline, and the only thing i like is that i get a local phone number for Toronto. You get good deals with tons of other companies but no incoming without a monthly fee, so that was an issue for me.