• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2015 4:52 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 20, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON

Which is Better?? Remote or Onsite

Can someone please let me know the difference between remote computer support and onsite computer support? which one is better and safe?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
You would have to give more details to get any meaningful comments. What type of support? For what purpose? From which service suppliers?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29332 posts
14839 upvotes
One is remote and the other is onsite.
Remote can only get so much done since there's no hands. If your computer is on fire all the remote in the world won't help.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36337 posts
9602 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I thought the description would be self evident

Remote is done through the internet
Onsite has a technician show up at your door

Onsite usually cost more
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
This is like someone asking if they should buy a minivan or a sports car, and you folks are describing the differences. :facepalm:
That's great, but don't you think you should ask about the OP's purpose and requirements? Is he running a small business, or worrying about Grandma's collection of knitting patterns on her home computer?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
JamesA1 wrote: This is like someone asking if they should buy a minivan or a sports car, and you folks are describing the differences. :facepalm:
That's great, but don't you think you should ask about the OP's purpose and requirements? Is he running a small business, or worrying about Grandma's collection of knitting patterns on her home computer?
Totally agree. Until the OP defines their goal, it's impossible to tell them what's "better". As for "safe" that would again depend on what's being done, by whom, to whom. If you are just providing support, both would be fairly safe unless your remote access protocols are poorly configured and you've left the computer vulnerable to other unauthorized remote access.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
i dont know what its for...

but i dont even bother to use depot warranty unless its a seriously crippling manufacturer defect. too many times you send it off and it takes 1-2 months and new problems arise.

onsite is easier to see exactly what is being done, techs will treat your laptop better - and generally be a better tech as each one needs to be able to solve all problems, not just send the laptop down an assembly line of less talented workers.

so i would apply the same for tech support. whenever people are on site you have much more interaction, more influence and greater chance of actual help.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36337 posts
9602 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
JamesA1 wrote: This is like someone asking if they should buy a minivan or a sports car, and you folks are describing the differences. :facepalm:
Even a 5 year old can figure this one out.

If anything, this is a troll post.