• Nov 1st, 2018 3:14 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill

Between two used cars

Hi,

Was hoping to get your opinion and advice on two SUV options we're considering. In the scenario where both are the same model and trim with exactly the same options, which would you choose? Both are appropriately adjusted in terms of cost. Both are non-rental, no accidents etc:

- car A: used for 12 months, 50,000 kms
- car B: used for 24 months, 50,000 kms

Car B will have average wear and tear given that it's about average mileage of 25,000 kms per year. Car A is really a year newer, but has been driven double per day. I assume that car A was mostly highway since it would be ~190 km per work day or ~140 km per day if the previous owner drove the same every day.

This particular car has a continuously variable transmission (CVT) so I'm wondering if driving that much per day (assumingly) at the same speed on the highway would cause extra wear and tear.

What are your thoughts?

thanks!
bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Pricing will help. What is the price difference between A and B?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
If car A is listing for around 40% off its MSRP when brand new, then you can take a second look. Otherwise, look at Car B
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
156 upvotes
Burlington
Seems like an academic exercise, but in reality without knowing the make model and year, their maybe safety features that are included in the newer year that’s not included in the year older vehicle.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
carmaster wrote: Pricing will help. What is the price difference between A and B?
About $1500. Seems to match what VMR Canada is saying.
booblehead wrote: If car A is listing for around 40% off its MSRP when brand new, then you can take a second look. Otherwise, look at Car B
These were actually at the dealer, so they were not 40% off MSRP - more like 30%. You would recommend against car A?

thanks...
bjl
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Alex360 wrote: Seems like an academic exercise, but in reality without knowing the make model and year, their maybe safety features that are included in the newer year that’s not included in the year older vehicle.
Sure. Car A is a 2017 Murano and car B is a 2016 Murano. The cars haven't changed much in terms of features or styling etc. Visible wear/tear of the body and interior are about the same.

edit: Murano SL

bjl
Last edited by t3359 on Nov 1st, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
50,000 for 1 year is a lot. 25,000 per year is normal and average. What is the history of Car A? Was it used a taxi or something?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
carmaster wrote: 50,000 for 1 year is a lot. 25,000 per year is normal and average. What is the history of Car A? Was it used a taxi or something?
Yeah, I did think that at first, but the dealer said it wasn't and CarFax said it wasn't a Taxi/Fleet vehicle.

bjl
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
Car A's mileage & wear and tear would be considered or equivalent to 2 years of usages and hence with the corresponding rate of depreciation ... (30% off would not do it in my view). Besides, isn't Murano is having some sort of high factory credit $ offered for year end clearance ?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
booblehead wrote: Car A's mileage & wear and tear would be considered as 2 years of depreciation ... (30% off would not do it in my view). Besides, isn't Murano is having some sort of high factory credit $ offered for year end clearance ?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first, but then I started wondering if extensive highway driving would cause problems. Visually, I could only check the hood and side for chips, but there weren't any. The hood wasn't repainted (to their knowledge) either.

Incentives are high for new 2018 Muranos right now - I'm also looking at that front (via Unhaggle and CCC).

bjl
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
156 upvotes
Burlington
t3359 wrote: Sure. Car A is a 2017 Murano and car B is a 2016 Murano. The cars haven't changed much in terms of features or styling etc. Visible wear/tear of the body and interior are about the same.

bjl

www.cars.com/amp/articles/2017-nissan-m ... 691702529/

Seems the diff is available apple CarPlay, driver alert feature, surround view camera, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, drowsy driver alert which are part of SV driver package

If the 2017 has the package I’d go with the 2017
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
do note Nissan's cvt has been plagued with major problems in the past and I would still not trust their tranny even if they claimed they have resolved it today.

If your budget allows, then buy new or if buying used, get the dealer to work in the extended warranty for you at a significant discount.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind maybe Car A was used as an Uber, Lyft or drive sharing car in general.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Alex360 wrote:
www.cars.com/amp/articles/2017-nissan-m ... 691702529/

Seems the diff is available apple CarPlay, driver alert feature, surround view camera, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, drowsy driver alert which are part of SV driver package

If the 2017 has the package I’d go with the 2017
Thanks for the link. The trim I'm looking at is the SL (will update the post).
booblehead wrote: do note Nissan's cvt has been plagued with major problems in the past and I would still not trust their tranny even if they claimed they have resolved it today.

If your budget allows, then buy new or if buying used, get the dealer to work in the extended warranty for you at a significant discount.
Interesting. I did think they figured it out - I'll have to do some more reading.

bjl
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
carmaster wrote: Keep in mind maybe Car A was used as an Uber, Lyft or drive sharing car in general.
Hmmm... that's true. I guess Carproof will not show this type of thing. I did check the seats and the rear seats and mats have very little wear. The passenger seat has also been rarely used. The driver seat has a bit of rust on the frame, so it did suggest the driver drove it with winter boots. It didn't have rubber winter mats which is kind of surprising. Trunk also had very little wear. Kinda surprised someone would buy a mid-sized SUV and use it as a point A-to-B car... but maybe the guy just liked SUVs.

Is there any way I can find out Re: Uber/Lyft?

bjl
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Either push for more of a discount on Car A or just go with B. Both are in similar condition body wise?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
carmaster wrote: Either push for more of a discount on Car A or just go with B. Both are in similar condition body wise?
Yup, both are in pretty good condition body-wise and interior-wise. Yeah, I didn't think the discount they offered was sufficient to warrant the high kms per year. I will try.
booblehead wrote: https://www.nissanusa.com/experience-ni ... ssion.html

It shows the 18 Murano has the latest gen of CVT. Smiling Face With Open Mouth So, what does it mean ? It could mean Nissan realized their last gen CVT is totally garbage, meaning the 16 & 17 Murano could be a headache down the road, esp. past warranty period.
Ha ha - thanks - will read up.

bjl
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
The later CVT are fine, haven't heard any problem with those, it's the early ones that gave them a bad rep. A friend had a V6 Altima with over 200k on it, CVT was perfectly fine and he's no light foot. Going for 300k too till two possible potheads ran a red light and totaled it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6962 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
t3359 wrote: Sure. Car A is a 2017 Murano and car B is a 2016 Murano. The cars haven't changed much in terms of features or styling etc. Visible wear/tear of the body and interior are about the same.

edit: Murano SL

bjl
This is better details, but still not enough. You need to find out the actual in-service dates for each vehicle. From there you’ll be able to better narrow down the actual usuals per month and you’ll also be able to better assess the remaining warranty differences too.

For instance, they both might actually be the exact same age!

It’s possible that they were both purchased and put on the road on November 1st, 2017. Example:

One first owner bought one of the last 2016’s on the lot while the other first owner bought one of the first 2017’s. This would make both of the exactly 1 year old today.

The 2016 could be as old as 3 yrs now if purchased in November 2015. Or it could be only around 2 years old. Similarly, the 2017 could be up to 2 yrs old or only about 1 yr old.

So, knowing the actual in service dates will give you a much better perspective on how the mileage was accumulated over time + it’ll give a better picture in remaining warranty left.