• Jan 14th, 2020 10:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph

BEWARE - "Brampton Locksmith" & "Locksmith Experts Corp"

My sister was a victim of a domestic violence and was in the hospital. Police locked her home and exited through the garage with her keys inside. We called "Brampton Locksmith" who sent a guy from "Locksmith Experts Corp". He arrived and said immediately that they don't pick locks but that it needed to be drilled out. Cost is $285 + $29 Service Call charge plus taxes.

When I inquired why it costs so much compared to $100 that I've experienced with another company who managed to pick a deadbolt in the past, he became visibly upset and threatened to leave and charge me the service fee in addition to a waiting fee for "wasting his time". He then said he'd throw in a replacement deadbolt if I accepted.

Since my sister was sitting in our truck with her kids, we wanted this over with and get in her home. He drilled out the lock and put in a new cheap deadbolt that costs about $30 in a hardware store. He wrote on the receipt that it has a value of $175 which is ludicrous.

This company will take advantage of the desperate and vulnerable all the while being extremely rude. I strongly advise doing business with them. A search of this company yields many similar complaints on the Better Business Bureau.

https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/north-york/pr ... all-alerts

We were desperate and didn't really have a choice, my sister is barely conscious sitting in our truck in her driveway with her kids. We had already been waiting 40 minutes for him to arrive.

I wish there was more that can be done with these pricks who do this, but sadly we can only leave reviews to get the word out.
Images
  • 20191027_211815.jpg
  • 20191027_211904.jpg
58 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
Same pattern of reviews on Yelp. These scammers use a network of different company names that filter down to Locksmith Experts Corp. Must be to hide the reviews that exposes them. ie. "Brampton Locksmith" who sends "Locksmith Experts Corp".

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/locksmith-experts-toronto
Jan 19, 2013
548 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
Doesn’t seem too out there for me for a Saturday emergency call.
You didn’t call your $100 guy? Or ask this guy how much before coming?
The new deadbolt included the install too btw.
Last edited by 1chinaman on Oct 27th, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 19, 2013
548 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
double post
Last edited by 1chinaman on Oct 27th, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
1chinaman wrote: Doesn’t seem too out there for me for a Saturday emergency call.
You didn’t call your $100 guy? Or ask this guy before coming?
The new deadbolt included the install too btw.
They wouldn't give a price before coming. Only said $29 service call fee. Please read the Better Business Bureau complaints and Yelp reviews.

Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3141 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
You're being a bit extra, your multiple posts show this. I'll caulk it up to what your family experienced.

There was no scam here, if you didn't like his price you should have paid the man his $29 and been on your way. You could have also asked how much he would charge to pick a lock, if it is even possible or how much he would charge to open the door.

It seems like because you've attached a sad story you want to get things done for free.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45478 posts
5991 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thai wrote: They wouldn't give a price before coming. Only said $29 service call fee. Please read the Better Business Bureau complaints and Yelp reviews.

I wouldn't have called someone who wouldn't give a price over the phone. If he wasn't sure, he can say he needs to confirm when he's there, but should at least be able to give an idea what the price range would be.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
WMPCOT wrote: You're being a bit extra, your multiple posts show this. I'll caulk it up to what your family experienced.

There was no scam here, if you didn't like his price you should have paid the man his $29 and been on your way. You could have also asked how much he would charge to pick a lock, if it is even possible or how much he would charge to open the door.

It seems like because you've attached a sad story you want to get things done for free.
I run a business, I don't expect anything free. What I value though is ethics. The countless reviews on this company would disagree with your comment however.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3141 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
Thai wrote: I run a business, I don't expect anything free. What I value though is ethics. The countless reviews on this company would disagree with your comment however.
I own businesses as well and when we do emergency calls outside of business hours there is a fee for that.

Regardless of this as I said if you didn't like the companies price you should have paid the $29 quoted fee and had him on his way. With this new learning experience you could have asked the second company you phoned for a price. If you didn't want to waste more time well that's a choice you made.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
Well I'm only sharing my experience and what I've uncovered about them. It's okay to disagree with me, and it's fine if you want to give them your business after reading such reviews as presented. I'm not going to continue engaging with those defending them. Cheers.
WMPCOT wrote: I own businesses as well and when we do emergency calls outside of business hours there is a fee for that.
They say they're a 24/7 business. No outside hours.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3141 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
Thai wrote: Well I'm only sharing my experience and what I've uncovered about them. It's okay to disagree with me, and it's fine if you want to give them your business after reading such reviews as presented. I'm not going to continue engaging with those defending them. Cheers.

They say they're a 24/7 business. No outside hours.
Yet you continue to engage.

I think your emotions are getting the best of you. Good luck on your tirade.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5706 posts
1883 upvotes
Space
If you didn’t like the cake he was serving, you shouldn’t have eaten the cake...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
BBB exists for reason.
Images
  • 20191027_220123.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
Gabe Gur wrote that his name is Tom on the receipt. Not sketchy at all, or do all locksmiths use stage names like strippers?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35633 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not taking sides here, but anything less than $100 would put you out of business quick.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5194 posts
2597 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Not taking sides here, but anything less than $100 would put you out of business quick.
I agree there’s no scam here, just buyers remorse. Chalk it up and move on. Could they have dealt with you and the situation better, of course they could/should have if what you’re saying is true. All that aside the bottom line is you wanted something done, were given a price upfront and you agreed. The work was done and now your sister is back in her house. No sense to stress about it now.

Should have called the other company that you’ve dealt with in the past. But lemme guess, they wouldn’t come out when you needed them.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14771 posts
9190 upvotes
Toronto
Hilarious that you can only find the reviews before you actually called someone.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯