Shopping Discussion

BEWARE: Esso (Kennedy/Finch) FALSE ADVERTISING!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2009 3:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5123 posts
1051 upvotes

BEWARE: Esso (Kennedy/Finch) FALSE ADVERTISING!!

So yesterday I was pumping gas @ Essso (Kennedy / Finch Location) and just ran out of washer fluid. So I noticed a sign stating that the washer fluid was on special @ $4.69 so I thought oh well and as I went in to pay for the gas and the washer fluid with my speedpass I noticed that they charged me $4.99. I quickly told the clerk that it was advertised outside for $4.69 and he immediately told me that he had been selling this stuff for the last 6 months at $4.99 and there was no way it would be $4.69. I said take a look outside, he said if you saw something outside it was wrong, but he said that he would take a look outside. So I paid for it as I was in a hurry and started to fill my washer fluid.. that's when I noticed that there were two clerks and noone inside the store. They still hadn't come out.. so I decided to snap some pictures of the $4.69 special price just in case.

The next day I called Esso Customer Service, ONLY to have a CSR blatantly lie to my face and claimed that he called the store only to have the store manager at the location tell him that the $4.69 price was for the salt, and the only reason I didnt see the salt was because it was sold out. I asked why would you put the price tag for salt on top of the washer fluids? CSR simply said what I saw was wrong and I hung up (despite me telling him that I had pictures). Not being a person to give up easily as many customers might be buying these washer fluids for $4.99 thinking that they are $4.69 I called back only to have the second CSR cut me off the line... we'll I called back and spoke to a third CSR and asked immediately for a supervisor and got a incident number set up and will be expecting a call back...

So anyone who got washer fluid from the Kennedy and Finch Esso check your receipts! and please give Esso a call or go back and get your money back!

Esso CS #: 1-800-567-ESSO (3776) [TOLL-FREE]

Pictures: (last one is golden)

... $4.69 for the salt eh...
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
32 replies
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
you just cought them with thier pants down... good for you,,
Mar 26, 2006
297 posts
12 upvotes
Markham
I know it's only 30 cents but these guys seem to be a law unto themselves when it comes to BS like this. I've been there fella. There was a Petro Can near York when I attended and NONE of the prices would be right. About the tenth time it happened I threatened to print a poster.

The attitude that comes with it doesn't make it easier to take, lemme tell ya.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4916 posts
517 upvotes
GTA
it should be free if the price is wrong.. but anyways.. you should know better than to buy washer fluid at a gas station.. you got raped by Esso twice now.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't it 4.69$ for washer is still pricy?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9148 posts
2816 upvotes
They wouldn't be following scop, but if they claim it to be an error and won't honour it it would be an offense under the competition act if they didn't fix the error immediately.
Aug 21, 2006
115 posts
MP3_SKY wrote: Isn't it 4.69$ for washer is still pricy?
I know he said he was in a hurry but $1.75....Walmart!
Dec 31, 1969
You were in a hurry but had time to snap a few photos? :confused:

Personally, 30
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1447 posts
286 upvotes
Good on you mate!

Yes it is on 30cents but the fact that they are so clearly and blatantly advertising this product at $4.69 and them not just ONCE, but at least 3 separate times, have attempted to say they are not, or that the OP is a liar.

That is complete and utter BS. Its the principal of the matter. Normally I wouldn't give a rats...you know... about it, but this just seems to golden an opportunity.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7115 posts
3632 upvotes
Moncton, NB
[quote="selpats" post_id="8091993" time="1232156716" user_id="12913"]You were in a hurry but had time to snap a few photos? :confused:

Personally, 30
Dec 31, 1969
nounou23 wrote: Let see, .30cents X 100 customers = 30$ extra profit.. And at this time of year where they sell a lot... a LOT of people buy them at the gas station instead of stocking up when they come on sale at around 1$ in major stores. :) They always forget and end up buying at the same time they buy fuel.
Personally, I wouldn't have bought it and just moved on with my life. You have to choose your battles and personally, this isn't a 'battle' that I would engage in. My time is more important.
Banned
Sep 18, 2008
696 posts
1 upvote
Deal-lon wrote: If you had time to take a picture, couldn't you have gone inside and shown the employee the picture on your camera?

I would demand my 30 cents back, even if I have to hire a phalanx of the most expensive lawyers on the planet to destroy ESSO the corporation on a molecular level.
So your going to spend thousands over 30 cents.
Nov 29, 2006
560 posts
Markham
Washer should be 2 dollar somethin'...
Nov 15, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
call 1-866-499-4599 and register a complaint.

I was making a complaint about wal-mart and got takling to the lady a little. She told me that most stores "voluntairly" display they practice scop but zellers and other retailers that do not display it by law have to follow it. So i asked about Zellers and to my surprise by law she said have to. She told me to call them if i have any issues in the future. She went on to say how little ppl and retailers truly know about scop.

not that 30 cents is much to fight about but once they get to know proper policy it might be easier to argue with other items in the future
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
dariusz8 wrote: call 1-866-499-4599 and register a complaint.

I was making a complaint about wal-mart and got takling to the lady a little. She told me that most stores "voluntairly" display they practice scop but zellers and other retailers that do not display it by law have to follow it. So i asked about Zellers and to my surprise by law she said have to. She told me to call them if i have any issues in the future. She went on to say how little ppl and retailers truly know about scop.

not that 30 cents is much to fight about but once they get to know proper policy it might be easier to argue with other items in the future
I think either you or the person you talked to may have mixed up something. Although retailers are not allowed to sell products at above their advertised price http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 02796.html, they are not required to follow the scop unless they are listed as participants here.
Aug 11, 2008
637 posts
221 upvotes
You can report them and they will be fined.

My mom had the same thing happen at a clothing store. She reported them and they were fined. The ministry (not quite sure which) even sent her a letter confirming the fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2006 posts
714 upvotes
selpats wrote: Personally, I wouldn't have bought it and just moved on with my life. You have to choose your battles and personally, this isn't a 'battle' that I would engage in. My time is more important.
+1

I can't believe how little value people place on their time. Is 30 cents really worth all of this aggravation and stress, especially when you could have just not bothered with buying it?