Shopping Discussion

Beware: Factory Direct not honouring warranty

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 11:57 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 3, 2012
13 posts
16 upvotes
Ontario

Beware: Factory Direct not honouring warranty

I purchased a TP-Link C9 router from Factory Direct 17 months ago. It's a refurbished one so I double-checked with the seller to confirm the warranty is two years as advertised. Fast-forward to last week, the router's Internet port (blue port) stopped working. I found the original receipt from my binder and started warranty process.

First thing I noticed was the warranty code on receipt says RB02YM. According to the explanation on the back of the receipt, the code means 2 year warranty provided by the manufacturer. So I called TP-Link, went through an hour long trouble shooting process with the technical support, and finally they said yes it looks like the device is defective and we will initiated RMA process. I emailed the receipt and device info to TP-Link but one day later, they replied as below:
We are sorry to tell you that the Factory Direct is not listed as one of our Partner Reseller so we can't process this one for replacement.
This smelled fishy. I decided to drive to Factory Direct and ask about the situation. The customer service examined the device, checked the receipt, talked to their manager and finally said they cannot honour the warranty either. Only option they offer is to send the device for a fix, but at a cost of $25 per hour and must be paid upfront by myself. I lol-ed and walked out.

Evidences are attached. Will never buy at Factory Direct again.
Images
  • IMG_20190822_211021.jpg
  • IMG_20190822_204338.jpg
  • IMG_20190821_163958.jpg
  • IMG_20190821_163948.jpg
20 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1069 posts
397 upvotes
Factory Defect in full effect here.

Sorry for your loss, I’d just move on, but make some boise with the H.O. if you can find an email
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2198 posts
1094 upvotes
London
99% of what factory direct sells is refurbished stuff with no warranty. they do offer there own extended warranties i believe. ur better off just tossing it in the trash and go buy a new one elsewhere.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 9, 2005
828 posts
124 upvotes
I bought a Belkin range extender, failed after 1 year. Belkin honored the warranty. They actually sent me a newer model since the one I purchased was discontinued. But I was fully aware that by buying from Factory Direct, it was a gamble.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
9016 posts
2556 upvotes
London
Sometimes I play a 649 ticket, sometimes I sit down when I know there's only a few sheets left on the roll, and sometimes I make a purchase for more than $20 at FactoryDefect.
All forms of gambling.

Don't forget to post about your experience on other social media platforms.
Member
Jan 4, 2014
299 posts
337 upvotes
Paris
FactoryDirect.
Direct from which factory?
lol
Stay far away from them. Not worth the hassle.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2198 posts
1094 upvotes
London
IslandTourGuide wrote: FactoryDirect.
Direct from which factory?
lol
Stay far away from them. Not worth the hassle.
more like direct from the abused returns of some other retailer.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1940 posts
1857 upvotes
Receipt says 2 years warranty, and they can't warranty it, you should ask for refund.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18316 posts
6360 upvotes
Toronto
I am surprised Factory Direct is still in business after this many years of selling junk.
Member
User avatar
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
It just another cheap dollar store, as soon as you walk in should tell you what to expect....
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16187 posts
3554 upvotes
Toronto
I gave up on Factory Direct a LONG LONG time ago.
It is a good store to AVOID!!!
They know GD well what they're selling people, then they play stupid when it comes back defective.
NO refund either. Store credit only, so they sell me a piece of garbage, then I bring it back and get a store credit
for exchange only to find that there is nothing else in the store worth buying.
They have my money and their product back, no doubt to go back on the shelf for the next sucker...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16187 posts
3554 upvotes
Toronto
Dreamrider wrote: Receipt says 2 years warranty, and they can't warranty it, you should ask for refund.
The store does not do refunds, but they should have offered a store credit of some sort instead of jerking the customer around.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
710 upvotes
Waterloo
aaron158 wrote: 99% of what factory direct sells is refurbished stuff with no warranty. they do offer there own extended warranties i believe. ur better off just tossing it in the trash and go buy a new one elsewhere.
Nothing which is refurbished has a full manufacturer warranty to begin with. Even stuff which the manufacturer itself refurbishes usually has a 3 month or so warranty. They misrepresented when they said it has a 2 year warranty,
and yes whenever I have picked up something from factory direct it was my understanding its either it works or it doesnt.

OP @pigjr if youre somewhat technical, I believe if you install a open source software( third party ddwrt or likes ), its quite possible to use a different port for WAN.

Also you should reach out to TPLink again, since their warranty conditions don't actually list "Authorized resellers " as a condition of warranty.
----
Pay it forward.
Sr. Member
Dec 15, 2006
870 posts
500 upvotes
Ottawa
pigjr wrote: This smelled fishy. I decided to drive to Factory Direct and ask about the situation. The customer service examined the device, checked the receipt, talked to their manager and finally said they cannot honour the warranty either. Only option they offer is to send the device for a fix, but at a cost of $25 per hour and must be paid upfront by myself. I lol-ed and walked out.
This is like the Seinfeld episode where they don't have the rental car Jerry reserved.

FD sold you an item that included a warranty. They must honour that warranty. I would not be anywhere close to done with this. $20 might not be worth fighting for but $80 sure is, not to mention the principle. I'd try HO then a local news outlet.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18354 posts
4739 upvotes
Toronto
I remember many years ago walking into Factory Direct to look at some MacBooks, which they called refurbished. Not only were most of them dirty with some of them being stained, many literally had cracked cases.

Basically, they were selling non-refurbished D-stock stuff as so-called "refurbished".

I wouldn't even call them a dollar store. A dollar store sells overstock or low end new stuff for cheap. Factory Direct sells abused stuff in horrible condition.
Supahhh wrote: Nothing which is refurbished has a full manufacturer warranty to begin with. Even stuff which the manufacturer itself refurbishes usually has a 3 month or so warranty. They misrepresented when they said it has a 2 year warranty,
and yes whenever I have picked up something from factory direct it was my understanding its either it works or it doesnt.

OP @pigjr if youre somewhat technical, I believe if you install a open source software( third party ddwrt or likes ), its quite possible to use a different port for WAN.

Also you should reach out to TPLink again, since their warranty conditions don't actually list "Authorized resellers " as a condition of warranty.
Apple refurbished stuff purchased from Apple has full one-year warranty. You can also purchase their extended warranty for their refurbished stuff too, at the same price as for their new stuff.

Top