Shopping Discussion

Beware the lenovocanada eBay store (https://www.ebay.ca/usr/lenovocanada)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2021 11:03 pm
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
467 posts
542 upvotes
AB

Beware the lenovocanada eBay store (https://www.ebay.ca/usr/lenovocanada)

Turns out, Lenovo operates this store under a different set of 'terms and conditions' (their words, not mine) than their regular store.

So, if you order from the eBay store, you have to deal with any returns, DOA (the issue I ran into) etc through eBay and/or your method of purchase.

They'll still honour any warranty that remains, but if you get a brand new system and it doesn't work, you can't get an exchange through Lenovo directly, the best you can do directly is send it in for repair or have a tech come out -- assuming you bought one with on-site warranty, which only some higher end units have.

No thanks, I don't want my brand new computer to actually be a malfunctioning POS that now has scuffs and scrapes because of the repair process and used/refurb parts in it.

Should've checked out their reviews on eBay. Lots of bad ones in the past 6mos. Live and learn.
--

UPDATE1: Lenovo claims this store is not them, nor authorized to sell their products:

They've been allowing it to operate for years, portraying itself as their official store and getting grief from consumers about it, but not shutting it down? Doesn't seem like something a big corporation with trademarks etc does. Maybe it's not them, but their actions (or lack thereof; tacit approval) sure make it seem like it is.

--

UPDATE2: after requesting a refund from the seller on ebay, they provided me return instructions for the unit. Not only is the address the correct, official address for returning things to Lenovo in Canada, the RMA includes the original, official Lenovo order number, which I had not been given previously. So this is a legit order made in Lenovo's systems, purchased from Lenovo themselves... and they somehow continue to lie about this to me and countless others on forums everywhere. What the heck.
Last edited by trendless on Sep 8th, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thread Summary
OP Confirmed: "Lenovo claims this store is not them, nor authorized to sell their products"
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3143 posts
1181 upvotes
Ottawa
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that is pretty normal though.

Ex: buy a Dell pc, Corsair pc part, WD HDD/SSD, etc and you'd be dealing directly with the merchant (ex Amazon) for the first ~30 days for a refund / exchange.

Beyond that time period is when you'd be doing a warranty / repair claim with the manufacturer.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2013
1082 posts
1785 upvotes
Saint John
Sounds normal to me. If I buy a Lenovo pc from best buy, I would exchange or return it through best buy.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2888 posts
1555 upvotes
London
u can still return it that's what ebays 45 day money back guarantee is for. if an item comes damaged or don't work and the ad says it does. even if the seller list it as no returns ebay don't care. u open a return case seller has like a week to reply and accept the return and if the return is something that is the sellers fault they also force them to either provide a pre paid label or pay for the return shipping.

if the seller ignores u escalate if the seller still ignores ebay just closes the case out tells u to keep the item and gives u the money back.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
467 posts
542 upvotes
AB
Akitakara wrote: Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that is pretty normal though.

Ex: buy a Dell pc, Corsair pc part, WD HDD/SSD, etc and you'd be dealing directly with the merchant (ex Amazon) for the first ~30 days for a refund / exchange.

Beyond that time period is when you'd be doing a warranty / repair claim with the manufacturer.
demon1102 wrote: Sounds normal to me. If I buy a Lenovo pc from best buy, I would exchange or return it through best buy.
For sure. But in this case, the seller is Lenovo Canada, not ebay (or best buy or amazon or ..). Therefore, Lenovo Canada would be required to deal with it. Furthermore, Lenovo Canada officially denies this being them. So either way, there's something untoward going on here.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
467 posts
542 upvotes
AB
aaron158 wrote: u can still return it that's what ebays 45 day money back guarantee is for. if an item comes damaged or don't work and the ad says it does. even if the seller list it as no returns ebay don't care. u open a return case seller has like a week to reply and accept the return and if the return is something that is the sellers fault they also force them to either provide a pre paid label or pay for the return shipping.

if the seller ignores u escalate if the seller still ignores ebay just closes the case out tells u to keep the item and gives u the money back.
Absolutely. What's happening however, is not on the up and up and not only causes lots of extra time and hassle for the consumer (and some consumers might be provoked to give up and take the loss, unnecessarily), falsely implies that the consumer should feel safe buying from a legit entity with all the support the company offers.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2888 posts
1555 upvotes
London
trendless wrote: Absolutely. What's happening however, is not on the up and up and not only causes lots of extra time and hassle for the consumer (and some consumers might be provoked to give up and take the loss, unnecessarily), falsely implies that the consumer should feel safe buying from a legit entity with all the support the company offers.
its how ebay works and ebay is 99.9% always on the side of the buyer. if someone gets frustrated over the very minimal amount of hoops ebay makes u jump though to do a return then that person should stick to shopping at brick and mortar sotres.ebay has was of the better and easier return policy's when it comes to market places for 3rd party market places amazon is the only other one who even comes close to a second place.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
467 posts
542 upvotes
AB
aaron158 wrote: its how ebay works and ebay is 99.9% always on the side of the buyer. if someone gets frustrated over the very minimal amount of hoops ebay makes u jump though to do a return then that person should stick to shopping at brick and mortar sotres.ebay has was of the better and easier return policy's when it comes to market places for 3rd party market places amazon is the only other one who even comes close to a second place.
My issue isn't with ebay or its policies. I avoid ebay, generally, because I don't want this hassle -- and when I do buy via ebay, it's from places like Newegg and Lenovo Canada who have official presences on the store, because it confers legitimacy. Apparently, in Lenovo Canada's case, it's a lie.

My issue is with Lenovo Canada pretending not to be Lenovo Canada and hiding behind ebay to do it.
Oct 9, 2011
768 posts
331 upvotes
Just curious, what did the ebay store refuse to do for your situation? Ebay is almost always on buyer's side, if you received a new item with issue, not as described, you should be able to get full refund or exchange without issue.

I would always choose to buy from eBay instead of smaller indovidual shops
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2234 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
Wait a second... the eBay lenovostore is not Lenovo Canada? This one, that says "Official Store"? https://www.ebay.ca/usr/lenovocanada. Thats BS.

I agree with others that selling through eBay, it can come with different terms and conditions, but to go and say it is not an authorized seller? So does that mean the warranty is void on arrival? If you read OP's twitter feed, you will see the OP is complaining that when he contacted support, they did not have his laptop in their system... which DOES mean warranty is void.. how else would warranty work? Something doesnt make sense here.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2013
1082 posts
1785 upvotes
Saint John
trendless wrote: For sure. But in this case, the seller is Lenovo Canada, not ebay (or best buy or amazon or ..). Therefore, Lenovo Canada would be required to deal with it. Furthermore, Lenovo Canada officially denies this being them. So either way, there's something untoward going on here.
Yes, the seller is Lenovo, not eBay. However, according to eBay's policies, "under table" activities are not allowed. Everything should be through eBay.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
467 posts
542 upvotes
AB
Ebay is not the problem; I'm sure I could get a refund. I just can't get a replacement for my DOA unit. For any purchase made through lenovo.com, I could call up lenovo, give them my lenovo order number, and get a replacement -- unless they didn't have any, in which case they'd give me something comparable. But the ebay store gave me the lenovo support line for help when I inquired, who I called and who told me the order was not made from them and the ebay store was an unauthorized third-party. So my only recourse is a brand new, repaired laptop, or a refund. I'm not out money, but a bunch of time and still no laptop. Not great service. So again, the issue is that although it seems like this would be purchasing from Lenovo themselves, yet is not treated by Lenovo as if it is. Extra hassle, extra time, worse service. Caveat emptor.
Last edited by trendless on Sep 8th, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
467 posts
542 upvotes
AB
esq05 wrote: Wait a second... the eBay lenovostore is not Lenovo Canada? This one, that says "Official Store"? https://www.ebay.ca/usr/lenovocanada. Thats BS.

I agree with others that selling through eBay, it can come with different terms and conditions, but to go and say it is not an authorized seller? So does that mean the warranty is void on arrival? If you read OP's twitter feed, you will see the OP is complaining that when he contacted support, they did not have his laptop in their system... which DOES mean warranty is void.. how else would warranty work? Something doesnt make sense here.
They do have the serial number of the unit on file. It is eligible for warranty. But warranty only, not DOA replacement -- which is the same as if I purchased it from BestBuy or off the back of someone's truck. If they recognized the order itself in their system, then it could be replaced with a unit that worked or something equivalent, directly by them -- which calling the ebay store 'official' implies. But they've denied that the purchase was made from them.
Aug 13, 2019
212 posts
492 upvotes
I've done a return with this eBay page. I can confirm this is affiliated with the official Lenovo. The return label address led to a Lenovo warehouse.